SaabCentral Forums banner

My new wheels....

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  martin.nicoll 
#1 ·
My "double 3-spoke" are knackered (4 out of the 5 I have are buckled) so I bought these, the same size as the original (17x7 with a 42 offset) so I can use my existing and recently new tires!

They should be delivered on Saturday, when I will have the tires fitted and balanced :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Shirozina said:
I had some 18" Inovits - they were heavy and buckled;oops: - good luck with these. How is the gearbox - did you get it fixed?
Not sure of the weight of thee, but they were only £250, so will do for a year or so!

Gearbox is sorted and smooth as :D But my wheels were fubar'd and I needed some cheapo's ASAP, they MUST be an improvment on what I have already!!

#10 ·
9-3sleeper said:
whoa!!! settle boy...;)

but yeah pics would be nice.

:lol: :lol: Calm down, wait for them to be delivered first!!!!!

Pictures will be taken as soon as they are fitted (hopefully Saturday!) :cheesy:

#11 ·
Shirozina said:
That's a good price - cheaper than a used set of Saab 17" wheels. Just make sure you keep the tyre pressures on the firm side to protect the rims. Glad you got the gearbox sorted.
That was my thoughts!

Yeah I usually set my pressures to either 30 or 32psi anyway and I check them every time I fill up. (twice a week!)

#13 ·
Shirozina said:
That's a bit low IMO - I'd go higher for our London roads
Fair do's, what would you suggest; say 36 / 38 psi?

#14 ·
See how far you can go without it becoming too uncomfortable - start at 34 and work up in 1 psi increments. Measure them cold and get a good digital pressure gauge ( these are very inexpensive these days) - don't trust garage tyre gauges as they are notoriously inaccurate. I have a Halfords digital tyre pump that I plug unto the cigarette lighter socket - digital gauge and pump all in one.

#15 ·
agreed - start at a little above stock pressures, then raise them by 1 psi at a time till you're comfortable. then you get to play with 0.5 psi, with front vs. rear balance, and the balance between ultimate traction and responsiveness (above the max-traction point, you'll lose traction and gain twitchiness). the fine tuning is the fun part!

#16 ·
Mine is oh-so sensitive to tyre pressure. After much experimentation I'm running 35 at the front and 38 at the rear on my 16" wheels. If I equalise the pressure front and rear it becomes very unstable in a straight line at speed requiring constant steering inputs to keep it in a line. Even with the thick 24.5" rear ARB I can't induce any nasty oversteer - it feels very well balanced infact. With equal pressures it was understeering quite noticably though. Koni's are set full soft at the front and 2 'notches' from soft at the rear any more and the rear gets twichy.

#17 ·
They finally arrived today!!!!!

I will get them fitted this week and post photos next. :D

Been playing with pressures for a few days, 35psi for front and 37psi at back seems good at the moment and shoudl be improved with new "non-buckled" wheels. :p

#20 ·
RBatsch said:
Too bad about the double 3 spokes....love those wheels. How'd you do the three? Are they as bendy as the Viggen wheels?

Your new set remind me of the Hirsch wheels....sweet!
Really not sure how I did 3, but they are quite soft I have fund :(

Ta, they look even better in the 'flesh' :D

#21 ·
Troll_speed said:
Get orf the 'putah, an' on wiff the instahl!!
Here is a picture of 1 last night! :cheesy:

They're being fitted tomorrow, so you'll 'ave to wait till later in the week to see them on teh car :p

#23 ·
I'll get one weighed tonight before it goes to the tyre shop tomorrow.

#26 ·
Right guys, here they are :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.