SaabCentral Forums banner

MAP sensor??

16K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  EdT 
#1 ·
my car is at the shop today, and the codes are calling for it to have a MAP sensor replaced, but the thnig is apparently a 99 9-3 doesnt have a map sensor for its engine.. and i know that my engine is a swapped one, but im just not sure what year it is from.. its a 2.3 liter, and the turbo and everythng is not stock, just the engine, if anyone could help that would be great!

#2 ·
r14l21 said:
my car is at the shop today, and the codes are calling for it to have a MAP sensor replaced, but the thnig is apparently a 99 9-3 doesnt have a map sensor for its engine.. and i know that my engine is a swapped one, but im just not sure what year it is from.. its a 2.3 liter, and the turbo and everythng is not stock, just the engine, if anyone could help that would be great!
ALL Saab turbocharged engines have a MAP sensor. On the 9-3 and NG 900 it is mounted on the strut tower bar and has a vacuum hose connected to it along with a small wiring harness:

#7 ·
the garage is trying to find the vin on the engine to figure out what year and swap it was.. im assuming its a 2.0, as they do not make 2.3 for 9-3 not including the viggen before the new models? please correct mme if im wrong, and it is a t5 engine sorry for the confusion..idk if this helps at all, but another thing i was going to have done was change the o2 sensors, but buying them from saab dealers is outrageous, just wondering if anyone knows where i can grab one for both banks for a little less money thanks!

#8 ·
OK-if it is in fact a T5 (and you know this because T5 has no AMM in the low pressure intake tract) then it absolutely must have a MAP.

02 sensors can be had for cheap if you get the universal kind that you have to splice in. You cannot however order any yet because you don't know what motor you have yet.

In the very first post you stated you have a transplanted motor that is 2.3 liters. Now you state it is definitely T5. If both statements are true, then you may have 2.3 T5 from a 9000.

I think you would be well served to get stamping nos. off the block and head and see for sure what you have in there.

#9 ·
thank you for your information, im sorry about saying 2.3 before i must have been confused with my 9-5 aero lol. for some reason i thought this car had a 2.3 swap but i know for a fact its not a 9000 engine so we can cancel that, and i also know its from another model 9-3 so that should slim it down a bit. I thought/knew all along that they had a map sensor, but these people keep trying to tell me it doesnt.so i will figure out exactly what year, becxause i assume a 2000 egnine would be a little different from the 99?

also, i have been told the universal o2s arent great in how they fit many cars so sometimes it can have not the most accurate of readings?

thanks

#11 ·
99 would be T5 - it's highly unlikely that the car has a T7 engine management transplant as the amount of work involved is substantial. Universal O2 sensors will work but it must be a 4 wire as the T5 earths the sensor through the ECU and check the heater resistance is the same or it will throw a CEL. The part number for a T5 map sensor is 9132374. Dealer prices are likely to be outrageous so try to get a used part from a breakers.

#12 ·
Shirozina said:
99 would be T5 - it's highly unlikely that the car has a T7 engine management transplant as the amount of work involved is substantial. Universal O2 sensors will work but it must be a 4 wire as the T5 earths the sensor through the ECU and check the heater resistance is the same or it will throw a CEL. The part number for a T5 map sensor is 9132374. Dealer prices are likely to be outrageous so try to get a used part from a breakers.
This is manifestly true. Conversion to T7 is an extremely painful electrical nightmare. As for the MAP sensor itself, soccerplyr's link to eeuroparts shows a new ScanTech sensor for a mere $85.00. Not too bad. The OEM Bosch is $160.00 on SaabSite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.