SaabCentral Forums banner

Finally installed my oil catch can...

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Moosepuck 
#1 ·
Put on my 6 point sub frame brace this morning as well.. Time to go for a ride :)

Happy Saabing!

See less See more
#10 ·
A word of caution about catch cans - one of the causes of sludge on the T7 engine was the poor venting ability of the early breather. This kind of setup will seriously reduce the gasflow out of the crank case. The stock T5 system is very efficient - the large pipe has suction as the intake air moves across it's opening in the intake hose and the small pipe has manifold vac. Both these together pull the gases out of the crank case in all conditions - with this setup you loose a major component and one that works when you most need it. Actualy it goes further and creates an obstruction . Most oil in the intake is from the turbo bearings anyway and you can't stop it. Only very high boosting engines throw oil from the crank case and then it's still an insignificant amount as a proportion of intake air - even .25qt per month.

#11 ·
Good point...

I peak at around 27psi and level off to 22 or 23... I haven't put many miles on this catch can set up but from what you said...I wonder if I basically had it in line with the original hard line... (route the line to the small filter back to the now plugged line)... would the can still catch the oil or would the vacuum on it from the original line defeat the purpose and suck the oil up as it's going into the can..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.