SaabCentral Forums banner

V6 upper engine mount

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Tboy 
#1 ·
ok here it is after some well thought out well thoughts, i came up with a good way to produce an upper engine mount for the V6. first things first. i need to know what something is. in the picture below, i need to know what something is, i know its a 4cyl, but its there on the v6. on the sway bar there is a warning sticker on the right side, underneath that there is a *resavor* with a yellow cap, and a black disk shaped plastick hunk there, what is that, and what is the tube running out of that and into the intake manafold????

NEXT!!!
ok now my plan is to get a damper and mount it to the sway bar with a bracker, and connect it to a bolt that runs to the intake manafold, the bolt is roughly 4 in long, i would get a slightly longer and much stronger one., that would complete that process. the reason i ask about the resavoir and crap is because the hose that runs to the manafold would be in the way, unless i found a way to drop the clamp from the sway bar and still make it extremly sturdy... so what do u guys think. i still need to puchase the damper and all the componets, im broke now so it will probably be awhile before any progress, but i just wanted input. thanks much

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the brake master cylinder and vacuum servo? I'm all worried now!

You need those bits mate - and the pipe to the inlet manifold :eek:

I don't have a V6 so can't comment about the bolt you've chosen to fix your damper to. It needs to be STRONGO! The dampers arn't what you think i.e. oil filled damper that's soft and moves a lot. They're full of hard rubber and only move 1" max. They take some hammer when you change gear.

[Mind you, with the limited power of a V6, probably not a problem, eh Raggy? if you are watching :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: ]

#3 ·
The parts you wish to identify are the brake fluid reservoir and brake booster.

The V6 has a torque damper built in on the 9000, the 900 has all the drillings for this but not utilised, they're within the serp' belt.

Have a look at this shot below of a 9000 V6, note 3 holes in the timing cover, these are the mounting points for the torque damper...

#4 ·
thankz but i wasnt planning on removing those hoses or nething, i was just wondering, i will have to drop an L shaped bracket from the bracket on the swaybar, to have clearance, also like i said i would get a stronger and slightly longer bolt, so it can thread into the manfold farther for maxamum hold. for those with v6's post a pic and highlight the bolt i am talking about if you know... its on the top of the piece of plastick to the right. thankz much

#6 ·
OK understood. I thought you wanted to remove something!

The strut bar is just a tube so isn't ideal to fix to - hollow. There is a very strong part of the frame down below the strut towers. If you can go down and forwards, rather than back and up without hitting anything, that should be good. That's where mine (4 cyl) goes.

#8 · (Edited)
Spectating is a go-er. I need my car on Wednesday, so can't afford to splodge ANOTHER gearbox.

Where's me 'oliday form?......

EDIT:- Regarding holiday forms at work:- Are they accepting dodgy blue Scoobies on this track day? (eh? Big E? Yours only does 14 miles a year, another 5 miles won't kill it?).

#9 ·
ragtopcav said:
The parts you wish to identify are the brake fluid reservoir and brake booster.

The V6 has a torque damper built in on the 9000, the 900 has all the drillings for this but not utilised, they're within the serp' belt.

Have a look at this shot below of a 9000 V6, note 3 holes in the timing cover, these are the mounting points for the torque damper...

Hmmm, I don't remeber seeing these holes when I had the engine out. The timing cover is only drilled on a 9000 for the engine moun t yes?

From the location of those drillings shown, are two in the head, and one in the block, or all three in the head?

Interesting, I've been contemplating an upper mount myself.

Tboy

#10 ·
Tboy said:
Hmmm, I don't remeber seeing these holes when I had the engine out. The timing cover is only drilled on a 9000 for the engine moun t yes?

From the location of those drillings shown, are two in the head, and one in the block, or all three in the head?

Interesting, I've been contemplating an upper mount myself.

Tboy
The 2.5 cover has the marks on it where the holes should be [change pieces in the injection moulding die I presume, 2 parts from 1 mould] they correspond directly with the threaded holes that are on the timing pulley mounting plate; as I see it, this is the only safe place on the V6 to apply such a torque control load as it was designed to accept it. Sadly there's no where near enough room to squeeze in the torque arm as fitted to a 9000 :(

#11 ·
ragtopcav said:
The 2.5 cover has the marks on it where the holes should be [change pieces in the injection moulding die I presume, 2 parts from 1 mould] they correspond directly with the threaded holes that are on the timing pulley mounting plate; as I see it, this is the only safe place on the V6 to apply such a torque control load as it was designed to accept it. Sadly there's no where near enough room to squeeze in the torque arm as fitted to a 9000 :(
Now that you mention that I do remember those three marks! Hmm, I will take a look at that tonight.

Tboy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.