SaabCentral Forums banner

GS 3" DP (v.2) for Viggen - Noise gone

674 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Route246 
#1 ·
I was fighting a banging noise during low-speed cornering and under-geared acceleration. Thought it was suspension related, but turned out that the DP was hitting the subframe. Loosened the connector, jammed a used exhaust hanger between the DP and the subframe, re-tightened. Pried the exhaust hanger out, and confirmed increased clearance and no more the "Ga-ga-ga-ga-ga" noise.

Now, the oval tailpipe is ****-eyed (argh!).
Need to find a happy equilibrium. Any tips for exhaust adjustments, anyone?

#2 ·
I had a similar problem- my saabsport rattled heavily against the thin exhaust heat shielding surrounding it. Had to both bend back the heat shielding and adjust the amount the "slide together tubing" connection of the saabsport was pushed together. For some reason I've had difficulty pushing it together a whole lot.

I would try adjusting this part of the exhaust because it directly affects how far left or right the final tailpipe and tip hang. It's hard to do, but has helped somewhat.

**just noticed you have BSR catback not saabsport... I'm assuming your exhaust pieces hook up in a similar fashion

#3 ·
Thanks for the input, HOT.
An interesting set of intertwined variables under the car... Fix the tailpipe alignment but lose the DP clearance, turn the pipe(s) and the DP is OK and the tailpipe turn the other way and the pipe hangs too low for hangers...

I'll eventually find a happy place for all parts involved. eventually... ;)

#5 ·
99HOT93 said:
How does ur BSR sound anyway, ...
I've not had the pleasure of hearing what a Saabsport system sounds like, but even at WOT, the BSR sounds deep and "civilized" (know what I mean?). I've heard some exhausts that are much more raspy, and while I do have a certain affinity for that purposeful sound of a single muffler & cat-less exhaust, I don't like to draw too much attention, so I still have two silencers and one cat.
The 3" JT monster-of-an-exhaust that I had on my c900 was throaty at idle, and gurgly in a "dry" way under load. I was never able to confirm it first hand, but my tail-gating brother told me that he saw puffs of flame when the throttle was let off of (I ran a bit rich with an atmospheric BOV). Definitely lots of excitement in that car... I often miss her.
Now, I really enjoy the subdued exhaust tone of my 9-3. Maybe it's my age ;oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.