SaabCentral Forums banner

new rotors

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GenSaab 
#1 ·
i just put my new rims on my car today (dont worry ill make new thread with pics soon) and i saw that my brake rotors are extreamly thin and need replacing. i already have new front and rear brake pads which i will put on but i will wait till i put on the new rotors 1st. so while im replacing the rotors i figure i might as well get some drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors is i can afford them. my question is which ones do yall recommend being that ive seen a lot. or do u think i should stick w/ the oem rotors for now. i saw the brembo rotors which looked great but for $320 an axle. gimme ur thoughts please.

#4 ·
Where did you see Brembo rotors? The only Brembos I've seen are stock-looking plain ones from the Tire Rack. If you want drilled and slotted rotors, you can get EBC rotors for the front for about $160 a pair. Taliaferro Saab and the Tire Rack carry them, but they're only for the front. Eeuroparts sells Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors for the front and the back, for a little less than the EBCs.

#5 ·
I as going to recommend ATE powerdiscs for the front, but after doing some homework they're not available for the 9-3 yet.
If you want cosmetic impact drilled discs are the way to go, performance? slots only.
So your wondering something like 'I saw an exotic [say Porsche] with drilled discs?' well those holes are not drilled, they are cast in and are inherently stronger than a disc with holes drilled in.
I do not know what products are available for you in the US, but here is an idea, have a look at the genuinesaab.com site [saabcentral sponsor] and have a look at the big break upgrade, you use the pads and caliper you have but you change the caliper frame, rotor and rear dirt guard, these are the Viggen brakes, you'll need a minimum 16" wheel for this, big time real upgrade, not cosmetic.

read here for comments on having cross drilled rotors if you are doing motorsport or track day events

#6 ·
I have put normal Brembo discs front and rear on my car they are fine, pads are Textar which are as good as any. I have no problems with them at all. Have used Zimmerman and Black Diamond drilled and grooved on other cars in the past which have both performed well with good quality pads. Not sure if these are av for saab though.

#7 ·
ragtopcav said:
have a look at the genuinesaab.com site [saabcentral sponsor] and have a look at the big brake upgrade, you use the pads and caliper you have but you change the caliper frame, rotor and rear dirt guard, these are the Viggen brakes, you'll need a minimum 16" wheel for this, big time real upgrade, not cosmetic.
Taliaferro Saab has stopped selling that upgrade for the time being. Apparently they're having trouble getting the caliper mounting bracket. If they ever find them again, I'd say that that's definitely the best upgrade for the money.

#8 ·
Jeremy R. said:
ragtopcav said:
have a look at the genuinesaab.com site [saabcentral sponsor] and have a look at the big brake upgrade, you use the pads and caliper you have but you change the caliper frame, rotor and rear dirt guard, these are the Viggen brakes, you'll need a minimum 16" wheel for this, big time real upgrade, not cosmetic.
Taliaferro Saab has stopped selling that upgrade for the time being. Apparently they're having trouble getting the caliper mounting bracket. If they ever find them again, I'd say that that's definitely the best upgrade for the money.
That is a shame for you guys in the US, the parts are readily available in the UK still.

#9 ·
Well,
It looks as though I need to get busy and locate another source. :) We quit selling the ebc rotors since they did not make a big difference in the brake performance to justify the cost. The 308 kit is a BIG change! (passenger = :eek: ) Too many projects lately. Better get back to work.

Nick Taliferro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.