SaabCentral Forums banner

Questions You think are too stupid to ask

878K views 7K replies 1K participants last post by  Mimmi 
#1 ·
I have not noticed one yet for 9-3SS's but I would like to make this thread, The Questions that you think are really stupid to ask thread. I got the idea from the 900 forum this morning as I posted a 9-3 specific question in that room... needless to say they didnt have an answer and they reminded me i was in the wrong year/model/make section of saab central...:(

Wow, this thread really is for the Saab/Mentally challenged individuals. ;) :p ;)

#1,298 ·
Tire Pressure

My turn. I noticed that the tire size/pressure placard on the inside of my driver's door says the cold air pressures for my tires is 41 psi and 42 psi front and back (maybe not in that order). That seems real high. Does anyone run their tires that high? These aren't OEM's on the car either. Anyone?

#1,300 ·
Saab was originally created as a division of the Swedish Aeroplane Company (Svensk Aeroplan Aktiebolaget in Swedish). The company had been established in 1937 for the express purpose of building aircraft for the Swedish Air Force. With World War II nearing its end, the company began looking for new markets in which to expand.
They built planes like this :

Saab formation - J-37 Viggen, Saab J-35 Drakens, and J-29 Tunnen - Helsingborg, 1995
Hence 'Born From Jets'

#1,301 ·
Umm i feel dumb...

Where can i find the clips that hold the sound deadening to the hood. Idk what their called but their used to hold the soundproofing in place. Some of mine have mysteriously vanished.

#1,302 ·
Done loads of work on my '03 Arc 2.0t but can't seem to change the flamin' RHS side light - tried pulling gingerly at the wires (when I finally managed to contort my swollen and oily hands into the minute space between various pipes and stuff) but it won't budge, my stoopid question is - does it just pull out or do I need to twist it first?

#1,305 ·
Nope, mines the same and has been the same in every car I own. The system will only go off if the system is armed and any door, trunk, or the hood is opened without the system being deactivated first. The alarm will also go off if there is movement detected inside the pass. compartment, if the feature is activated through the SID menu's. The factory system does not detect door handle movement, and does not have shock/tilt sensors. Hope this helps!

I decided to experiment with my alarm system on my 07 saab 9-3 and noticed that the alarm does not sound even when I pull on the door handle. It does however work when I try to open the trunk when the doors are locked. Is my alarm system defective?

#1,306 ·
Did yo buy a SAAB because you have an affinity to JETS/FLIGHT???

Well Guys I do, I am a cerfified AIRFRAME and POWERPLANT Technician here in the states (aircraft mechanic). I am also a private pilot. So you can guess I like all things related to flight. Just wondering how many people that own a SAAB are in the Aerospace field or just like flight???

(I'm currently working in the offshore industry right now...But I love my SAAB)

#1,308 ·
Well Guys I do, I am a cerfified AIRFRAME and POWERPLANT Technician here in the states (aircraft mechanic). I am also a private pilot. So you can guess I like all things related to flight. Just wondering how many people that own a SAAB are in the Aerospace field or just like flight???

(I'm currently working in the offshore industry right now...But I love my SAAB)
I am also and A&P/IA.

#1,309 ·
Saab Extra Button

New to Site, New Saab 2009 9-3 SportCombi.
On the dash, I found an extra button with a dash mark on it that doesnt do anything. The people at saab said it was an "auxillary button" that can be programmed later. I asked them if I could program it so that only the fog lights light up and nothing else and they told me that they couldnt do it because it is illegal. My main point im trying to find out here is: What can I do to program this button for just the fog lights to turn on, have i missed a previous post about this? if so, please post as a reply, and how difficult (if even possible) is it to do this on my own. Probably something you guys know and thanks for the help in advance

#1,310 · (Edited)
New to Site, New Saab 2009 9-3 SportCombi.
On the dash, I found an extra button with a dash mark on it that doesnt do anything. The people at saab said it was an "auxillary button" that can be programmed later. I asked them if I could program it so that only the fog lights light up and nothing else and they told me that they couldnt do it because it is illegal. My main point im trying to find out here is: What can I do to program this button for just the fog lights to turn on, have i missed a previous post about this? if so, please post as a reply, and how difficult (if even possible) is it to do this on my own. Probably something you guys know and thanks for the help in advance
It's actually the ejection seat. So don't play with it while the car is running! :eek: ;)

The "saab people" are correct. It's an auxiliary button. I've heard of it being used for aftermarket driving lights. Think big light bar with a couple of pairs of Hella WRC-car style lights for scaring away errant moose. ;) I think that I remember once seeing some european Saab-parts site that sold a kit that allows you to use that button to trigger a relay that would let you run, well, anything. You'd need to do some searching both here and on the great Google.

AFAIK, there is no way to make that button turn your OEM foglights on and off, unless you were to find/buy the afore-mentioned kit, have the dealer enable the kit (via TechII), then cut-and-rewire your foglights. I suppose that would be technically possible, though I've not heard of anyone around here doing that. And it's likely that doing such a thing would throw the car's diagnostics systems into a tizzy too.

Back in the 'olden days' (2003-2006), you could get some dealers to do what's called a 'DRL disable w/ ROW fogs'. DRL = Daytime running lights. ROW = Rest Of World. If you do a search, you'll find a whole lot of threads about it. This was a procedure that the dealer would do with the TechII system (the computer system/connections that let the dealer 'talk' to your car), to basically configure your 9-3's lighting to behave as if it were a European-spec 9-3 rather than a US-spec one. My '06 is configured like this. My dealer did it for me for free as part of the 60-day Tech II customization back in the fall of '06. I can turn my headlights on and off (with the switch - no always-on DRL's), and the foglights can be on when the parking, regular, or high-beams are on. Not just with the regular beams as it is with the 'normal' US-spec setup.

However, you may be out of luck. :cry: I believe that dealers lost the ability to do this a year or two ago. I've not heard of anyone with anything newer than an '07 be able to get their DRL's disabled and/or ROW fogs enabled.

Many Saab dealers have told many Saab owners that doing this is illegal - so you're not alone in that. It's not. It's just a convenient scape-goat for them. The actual reason is that they don't know how, can't figure it out, or aren't allowed to by GM/Saab. It used to be reasons #1/#2, but it's likely #3 now.

#1,314 ·
Anytime!
We alllll have stupid questions, that's what this page's here for!

Mine : Does one have to remove the plastic shield under the car (V6) in order to do oil change and filter? I'm taking mine to the garage and had a small incident so it's all zip-tied for now and i don't want to have to remove it and reinstall it over again :|

#1,318 ·
I'm pretty sure I've seen a chart somewhere with service intervals and specifically what's required but for the life of me I can't find it. Long story short I'm up for my 40K service on my 2007 9-3 2.0T and GM gave me the first three scheduled maintenances but this one's on me. I'm trying to find out what I actually need to replace to meet warranty criteria without paying dealer fees for them to "check" 1000 different things. I don't want to cheap out, at the same time I just had to take a cut in pay and my side job is "starving musician", so it is what it is. Any help in pointing me to a service interval chart and/or advice in general is always greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#1,319 ·
I don't have my manual on me, but I do believe it is in there(someone correct me if I'm wrong) If you don't have your manual, you can download it from the Saabusa site I believe.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a chart somewhere with service intervals and specifically what's required but for the life of me I can't find it. Long story short I'm up for my 40K service on my 2007 9-3 2.0T and GM gave me the first three scheduled maintenances but this one's on me. I'm trying to find out what I actually need to replace to meet warranty criteria without paying dealer fees for them to "check" 1000 different things. I don't want to cheap out, at the same time I just had to take a cut in pay and my side job is "starving musician", so it is what it is. Any help in pointing me to a service interval chart and/or advice in general is always greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#1,322 ·
9-3 Linear exhaust work

Hello, I'm rather new here and here's my medium-stupid question:

I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear with a concealed exhaust where the tailpipes are bent down 45 degrees. I got myself a vinyl cover to finish off things after cutting a notch in the rear bumper to accomodate straight tailpipes.

Since the cover came without patterns or instructions, any ideas on how to trace the exact cut on the bumper?

And second question, what would be the choice tool to cut a vinyl rear bumper?

Thanks for any insights!

#1,323 ·
Hello, I'm rather new here and here's my medium-stupid question:

I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear with a concealed exhaust where the tailpipes are bent down 45 degrees. I got myself a vinyl cover to finish off things after cutting a notch in the rear bumper to accomodate straight tailpipes.

Since the cover came without patterns or instructions, any ideas on how to trace the exact cut on the bumper?

And second question, what would be the choice tool to cut a vinyl rear bumper?

Thanks for any insights!
Not sure what to cut with (hacksaw?) but you don't need to be precise with your cutting. The trim piece will cover it up.

#1,324 ·
Thanks, Diggs, I just thought somebody might have done this little trick before.
I'm thinking hacksaw too. I might cut some posterboard into a pattern of sorts, but as you say, the cover slips over the cut, so there's nearly half an inch tolerance.
I'm just aiming for better looks and maybe a slight change of sound since the pipes will be straight out instead of curved. Maybe I can post an after picture when I'm done.

#1,325 ·
Windshield Washer Head

Months ago I noticed that my far passenger window washer head didn't spray, and that the middle one barely reached the windshield anymore. I lived with it until I recently checked it out under the hood. it turns out that a rodent got in between what I assume is a padded sound shield and my car's hood. While making itself comfortable it chewed through the farthest tube connecting the washer heads. In the process of pulling the damaged tube off the plastic connector on the middle head broke. So now I need a new washer head and tubing.

My question is whether those are the kind of things I can find at any auto-parts shop or if I have to go to my dealer, and if I do how much might I be looking at spending? Thanks.

#1,326 ·
Problem with Lights- Factory Xenons

I'm a newbie. I purchased an 05 9-3 Aero recently. I replaced the Xenons as they were both out. Now my lights are always on whenever the car is on - Xenons, running lights, markers, and tails. Why is that and what can I do to correct it? BTW, yes, I checked and my light switch is on "0" position.

#1,328 ·
I'm a newbie. I purchased an 05 9-3 Aero recently. I replaced the Xenons as they were both out. Now my lights are always on whenever the car is on - Xenons, running lights, markers, and tails. Why is that and what can I do to correct it? BTW, yes, I checked and my light switch is on "0" position.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Saab in the US. You might be able to get the dealer to change the programming to the "ROW" (rest of world) setting, some people have had success with it while others haven't. Im looking to do this on my Saab as well (2006 Saab 93 2.0T) but I cant find access to a Tech II as I dont want to pay to have this option changed. I think I have the instructions on how its done PM me if you want them.