SaabCentral Forums banner

Some tyres are bigger than others?

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Matthew 
#1 ·
Both front tyres on my Aero rub the spring when on full lock. It's only slight, enough to feel like the brakes are on lightly (obviously I only experience the problem at parking speeds). The tyres are Kumho Powermax 195/60's. Anyone had the same problem? Is it possible this brand is a little wider than the norm? Or maybe I need to get some serious suspension adjustment...

#4 · (Edited)
195/60-15 was a stock size for thousands of c900s.

The tire industry in the U.S. is regulated by the federal government. They allow for tolerances in tire size that can yield a 7% or 10mm difference (whichever is larger) from advertised size.

In addition to the U.S. govt's regs, many other countries follow the same guidelines, though I have no clue if Australia does.

You might want to check to see where the rubbing is occurring...

EDIT: Read this if you can't fall asleep:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...le_toc=777&section=571.139&section_toc=119571

#7 ·
SpecialTool said:
Both front tyres on my Aero rub the spring when on full lock. It's only slight, enough to feel like the brakes are on lightly (obviously I only experience the problem at parking speeds). The tyres are Kumho Powermax 195/60's. Anyone had the same problem? Is it possible this brand is a little wider than the norm? Or maybe I need to get some serious suspension adjustment...
Kumho Powermax??:eek: :eek:
The worst tires I've ever mounted on my SAAB!! :evil: :x :(
Change tires.
With that new Khumo on back wheels, the first rainy day, my SAAB twisted on a slow corner...and on front I had Michelin with only 3mm rubber. I risked to kill myself in a river close to the road.
With that khumo on front wheels steering loosed sensibility, brakes blocked immediately, car follow the tangent on every corner.

A good thing about that tyres? Low cost.

I'll never make the error of don't spend money for quite good tyres...

#11 ·
I wouldn't be so quick as to scratch an entire brand - especially based on the experience of one guy - with mismatched tires (and worn ones on the front to boot) - no offense intended eddiethegreat - but one is a pretty small statitical sample for my tastes.

The tire brands have various quality levels within them - and tires directed at specific uses - I'm running winter tires now on my 900 - and can't wait to go back to summer tires (winter treads lower the cornering speed on one of my favorite turns by at least 5mph before the old girl becomes tail happy!) - but on wet or snow covered pavement they're spectacular.

Typically I've found that tires are like most things - if you buy the cheapest you won't be happy, and if you buy the absolute top of the line you won't be as happy as you thought you'd be when you laid out the coin. A lot of it comes down to what kind of driving you do, how much road noise and feedback you can put up with, and if you're willing to compromise, say, wet performance for ultimate dry pavement grip. Add to that how you like your car to handle - oversteer? Understeer? Neutral to the limit? Do you like your tires to telegraph that they're about to get loose or are you happy with 'em just breaking free and drifting?

Hit sites like tire rack - they have pretty extensive information about the various tires they sell - including customer ratings -

#12 ·
100 euros for 2 corean tyres explain the difference with other equal brands.

I drive 25000kms/year, dry and wet, snow and mood, and if you know your car feeling in difficoult situations, having 2 different brands front/right explain very well their quality.
That khumo simply loses in every way. Loses too much. I tested them against Dunlop and Michelin. I don't wanna exclude one full brand, just talking about power max. My Dunlop and michelin where not sporty tires, but "fuel-saver" ones.
Oh, I've forgotten to say that K.powermax are very noisy (more than my winter tires), and they lose little pieces of rubber on the edges of water channels. Not good thing, I suppose.
Unlucky tires? Maybe...
So after this terrible experience I watched many many tests on many many tires made by indipendent agencies.
So everyone can do the same.
Everyone have to do the same. And take the own conclusions.
I did it, and have a confirm to my feelings. Some brands are simply defined "cheap and dangerous". Is not just a question of favourite feelings.
Is not just a 23yo guy thinking.

Dont' trust me? No problem, of course. ;)

Trust those serious tests. There are many good brands, and many unsafe ones. My way? Some money spent for my tires is equal to some money spent for my safety,and enjoing, why not ;)

#13 ·
Kumhos on both mine--seem to stick fine. Ecstas on the '88 that seem to do fine on twisty N. Georgia roads. :cheesy:

#14 ·
Blanket statements condemning Kumho or categorizing its tires as "dangerous" is neither meaningful nor true.

In the U.S., Kumho's high-performance tires are generally regarded as fair to very good by people who autocross in classes requiring street tires. National-level competitions have been won on Kumhos (mostly MXs), and even a few on their SPT (wet events), which is not considered up to the task (but clearly is, at least in the rain).

Incidentally, Kumho's DOT radial race tires (710s) are as fast as anything else out there, longer lasting, and less expensive than Hoosiers (no serious competitors who must run DOT radials use Goodyear, Avon, Hankook, Toyo, etc.). Check the SCCA Solo2 results and see for yourself.

#15 ·
gorper said:
Blanket statements condemning Kumho or categorizing its tires as "dangerous" is neither meaningful nor true.
That's not what eddie said, he said only that the Powermax was a round turd with a hole in it :lol:

I guess I have been lucky with tires, I barely can tell the difference, except when I throw winters instead of, um, not-winters. Our Jetta has these cheap off-brand tires on the front and one rainy day I slid headlong towards a curb at low speed, was very unimpressed with the performance of the tire, but that's pretty much my only "ahh that is dangerous!" tire experience. Well there was also the pair of Goodyear Eagle something's my father had on his Grand Prix, when they got a bit worn they hydroplaned like mad mother****ers.

#16 ·
mm..Aren't we talking about ordinary tires?
Expecially Khumo powermaxx. Have you ever used them?

I just said that Khumo powermax sucks.
I hadn't condamned Khumo brand as dangerous (read better what i wrote).
I just said that from many tests (made on ORDINARY tires) some tires can be defined dangerous becouse of their scandalous performances on wet.
I think..no...I'M SURE that if you have tried Khumo powermaxx on your SAAB, you would not be happy...
I'm sure other sporty khumo work better,no doubt.
But simply, I can't love a brand that sell an unsafe tyre like powermaxx (even if costs less).

Now, this is my thought:
1-On my SAAB, I can't mount bigger tires. (185/65-r15)
2-If I would choose khumo, I just can choose khumo powermaxx.
3-If in the world exists just this brand, I couldn't drive safe.
That's the true!!
Thanks to God, I can choose others.

I don't understand why I've been fighted becouse of my thought, someone else here tried khumo powermaxx? Someone here sells khumo's? :lol:

#18 ·
I used to regularly have circular conversations about tyres with a member who sadly has since left us. And no, I can't remember who it was, but it was damn funny. It went like this:

Me: "I'm really quite impressed with my Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres."
Him: "OMG dude Dunlop suck. I had some SP1s on my car and they were lame. I'll never buy Dunlop again".
"Me: "Hang on a minute... the 9000s are top of the range. The SP1s are budget. Have you used the 9000s?"
Him: "OMG I was like doing 135 and I lost the back end in teh rain and only my awesome driving skills saved me Dunlop are terrible I'm getting Kumhos instead."

etc etc. Repeat conversation every few weeks ad infinitum.

#20 ·
Jezzadee said:
I used to regularly have circular conversations about tyres with a member who sadly has since left us. And no, I can't remember who it was, but it was damn funny. It went like this:

Me: "I'm really quite impressed with my Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres."
Him: "OMG dude Dunlop suck. I had some SP1s on my car and they were lame. I'll never buy Dunlop again".
"Me: "Hang on a minute... the 9000s are top of the range. The SP1s are budget. Have you used the 9000s?"
Him: "OMG I was like doing 135 and I lost the back end in teh rain and only my awesome driving skills saved me Dunlop are terrible I'm getting Kumhos instead."

etc etc. Repeat conversation every few weeks ad infinitum.
I agree
I'm not such stupid to make "Michelin Pilot/Dunlop SP S 9000 VS Khumo powermaxx".

As I said,I talked about a specific tyre,powermaxx,that is the same of SpecialTool's car.
I can't use higher quality khumo's, but is the same for other brands.
The only Michelin I can use, are "Energy" (the Brand's lower). The best Dunlop are SP Sport 200 (or 300).
So I made a comparison between tyres that would follow the same base-standards.
But powermaxx can't come close to this tyres, maybe with a binocular.
Exept bad performances and unsafety, steering looses precision (cars go straight even if you move some degrees the steering wheel), they also gave vibrations/rubbering problems.
Someone want pics?
Enjoy this

An example

#21 ·
tomsamps said:
Mine are 205/50/15 and don't rub. Does the 50% mean these are lower profile than stock (65%)? Maybe that's why they don't rub??
Yes, the sidewalls are 50% of 205mm not 65% of 185 mm.

FWIW I ran 205/60/15 tires made in Korea (not Kumho, "Solus" or something) on 9000 rims and had no rub either! They were fat and made the car look cool :cool:

#23 ·
Good luck finding a garage which stocks and fits Nokians though.

Last pair of Nokians I bought came from MyTyres and I had a devil of a job finding a fitters. They are under instructions from the likes of Goodyear and Pirelli to charge excessive fees for fitting customer-supplied tyres. It's because cheaper imports ordered on the 'net are hurting their profit margins.

Still, I'm going to (eventually) buy more Nokian NRVis for the 9000.

When the 900 needs boots it'll probably get Toyo T1-Rs.

#24 ·
I heared very very well about nokian.
From tests and from friends of mine.
Often close to Michelin as performances in 195 category...just french tyre lives more, cost is almost the same.
;oops: As a finland lover, I really would like to try them.
Unluckly, they are not very easy to found :cry:

#25 ·
Matthew said:
Good luck finding a garage which stocks and fits Nokians though.

Last pair of Nokians I bought came from MyTyres and I had a devil of a job finding a fitters. They are under instructions from the likes of Goodyear and Pirelli to charge excessive fees for fitting customer-supplied tyres. It's because cheaper imports ordered on the 'net are hurting their profit margins.

Still, I'm going to (eventually) buy more Nokian NRVis for the 9000.

When the 900 needs boots it'll probably get Toyo T1-Rs.
Matthew - i just had some net bought tyres fitted by mytyres in coventry - £7.50 a corner for removing and disposing of old tyres, fitting new ones including valves and balancing. Seems like good enough value to me.

Incidentally it was a pair of Toyo T1-Rs to replace the old worn ones and i got them from Camskill. http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php
For 2 205/45R16 it only cost £118 including delivery (about 48 hrs if that from placing the order). I reckon that was pretty good value.

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.