SaabCentral Forums banner

$40 Short Ram Intake DIY

117K views 396 replies 131 participants last post by  Mimmi 
#1 ·
I've been looking into buying an intake for the saab but I didn't wanna pay rediculous prices for parts that I can make myself and will work as well. Even though theres no performance add w/ this mod, the spool up sounds great and the diverter valve is really loud now.

Disclaimer: You will ruin your airbox if you make a mistake doing this mod, so take your time and cut carefully. You only have one chance at making it work.

Step 1: Using a sawzall, dremel, hacksaw or whatever, cut the "tube" off the top piece of the airbox. The tube goes farther into the airbox but I only cut it about 4 inches south of the MAF sensor

Step 2: Clamp a 2.75in coupler to the MAF tube. I used variable size 2.75 inlet / 3.00 outlet coupler.

Step 3: Clamp a straight piece of intake pipe to the end of the coupler.

Step 4: (Optional) Clamp a 45* or 90* elbow if you want your airfilter facing down closer to the air duct

Step 5: Install your filter of choice and check if everything is tight and secure.

APC Filter: $20
Coupler: Freebie (Spare)
Intake Straight Pipe: $10
90* Intake Elbow: $10
Total: $40

Yes that is a ziptie, temporary until I fab up some kind of support. I'm also going to make a heatshield next time it's not 0 degrees outside

See less See more
#266 ·
my car hasnt thrown a cel yet and is running great no uneven idle or anything until that happens happy with the mod. i replaced the pipe and postioned it directly into the old spot with exact same position. i will post pics later.
Any pics yet?

#270 ·
See my post, which is 2-3 above urs...the stock airbox pipe is a D shape, not a O shape like a normal pipe

#274 ·
Just finished my intake...

45 Degree elbow
3-2.5" coupler
Medium Spectre Filter
Total: $48 at autozone

I made a pretty solid security system so the intake doesn't bounce around: zip tie tube to 'hook' mount from previous air box, pad contact areas with double-sided tape and squares of garage door bottom)

I really like the top end turbo sound but not sure If I like the turbo drone as I go a constant-normal driving speed. Is there a way to adjust the sound or will the MAF adapt?

Attachments

#277 · (Edited)
I believe i used a dremel to cut the box or a jig saw. I went to Oreilys or auto zone and bought some of that black outside door trim that's primarily used to protect the edges of your door when opening them in case you hit something. That cleans up the jagged edges that the dremel makes, but i still lightly scraped and sanded the edges prior to putting the black trim.

The pshhhhh sound is definitely still there. It actually works as a heat shield as well, when i go for long or short drives the intake pipe is actually cold when i open the hood and touch it, as opposed to being hot as F when i didnt have the heat shield. ;ol;

I didn't like the idea of throwing away the stock box because its made to perfectly fit and mount in that spot. Dont get me wrong, i like the BSR set up, but i was too cheap to spend that kind of money on something that just adds sound lol.

You may or may not have to shave some of the inside of the box out as well to create a better fit, but thats trial and error. Basically shave, if you want a better fit, shave more lol.

#282 ·
2001 93 open airbox

all the pics ive seen on this thread show the tubes comming from the back of the engine and mine is right there in front. are the pics from a older model or something or did it get re routed. just wanna make sure i got all the details right before i perform an operation on my baby. if they are diff what would i have to do to make my own open airbox on my t7

#283 ·
all the pics ive seen on this thread show the tubes comming from the back of the engine and mine is right there in front. are the pics from a older model or something or did it get re routed. just wanna make sure i got all the details right before i perform an operation on my baby. if they are diff what would i have to do to make my own open airbox on my t7
your in the wrong section of the forum. You got a older 9-3, that's what's causing the confusion.

#284 ·
Just did it

This was a super easy way to get a good amount of sound out of my car. Many people on here want a BOV which is not made for a SAAB. I really suggest anyone who is looking for an amazing sound out of there car invest in a cold air intake. Now you can go out and spend $239.00 on the Opti-flow, or go to Autozone and spend $50.00. I have debated this for a few months now and I pulled the trigger today. I drove in heavy rain all night with no issues or CEL's. I check periodically to ensure the filter was not wet ( not a drop). I spent about an hour and a half to complete this project, the pictures the person posted are spot on. Beware once you cut the airbox there is no going back. Just a recommendation give yourself about an Inch after the mass airflow to cut allowing for enough bit with for the clamp. I repeat again the sound is amazing, I am so pleased with this project. The only downfall is you need a heat shield, Not sure how I am going to do this but I will figure it out. I will post pictures tomorrow. If you are someone looking for a sweet sound or want that blow-off valve sound do this mod, you will not regret it. I did not want to get out of my car today. I was so sick of not even hearing my turbo, when I pulled out of the driveway after the mod, I heard what I have been waiting for. Now on to the exhaust and my tune. Thanks again for and awesome mod tip.;ol;;ol;;ol;;ol;;ol;;ol;:cheesy:

#285 ·
This was a super easy way to get a good amount of sound out of my car. Many people on here want a BOV which is not made for a SAAB. I really suggest anyone who is looking for an amazing sound out of there car invest in a cold air intake. Now you can go out and spend $239.00 on the Opti-flow, or go to Autozone and spend $50.00. I have debated this for a few months now and I pulled the trigger today. I drove in heavy rain all night with no issues or CEL's. I check periodically to ensure the filter was not wet ( not a drop). I spent about an hour and a half to complete this project, the pictures the person posted are spot on. Beware once you cut the airbox there is no going back. Just a recommendation give yourself about an Inch after the mass airflow to cut allowing for enough bit with for the clamp. I repeat again the sound is amazing, I am so pleased with this project. The only downfall is you need a heat shield, Not sure how I am going to do this but I will figure it out. I will post pictures tomorrow. If you are someone looking for a sweet sound or want that blow-off valve sound do this mod, you will not regret it. I did not want to get out of my car today. I was so sick of not even hearing my turbo, when I pulled out of the driveway after the mod, I heard what I have been waiting for. Now on to the exhaust and my tune. Thanks again for and awesome mod tip.;ol;;ol;;ol;;ol;;ol;;ol;:cheesy:
Look at post 281. a guy gave me that idea to make a heat shield out of the stock air box. looks great to me and he says it has the same sound. im gonna try it tonight and see how it goes

#287 ·
Well, I finally grew enough balls to do this mod this morning. I spend $52 at Autozone and no more then 15 minutes building it. I cant tell you how happy I am with the outcome of this project. The sound is amazing and it seams like there is slightly quicker throttle response. I did this primarily for the sound and could care less about any increase in performance.

This is by far the best $52 I spent on this car

ps....I know have a k&n I could sell for cheap if anyone needs one

#289 ·
instead of buying the BSR kit i thing im going to do it like the guy above and mod the stock air box, i like that idea alot and looks really nice.
COUPLE QUESTIONS
1)what size filter do i need?
2)what do i do about the SAI
3)is this everything i need?
3" to 2-1/2" coupler
45 degree intake pipe
filter of my choice (size?)

door edge guard
4)Lastly will i have any error codes or problems wit hthis set up?

thank you
-mike

#292 · (Edited)
instead of buying the BSR kit i thing im going to do it like the guy above and mod the stock air box, i like that idea alot and looks really nice.
COUPLE QUESTIONS
1)what size filter do i need?
2)what do i do about the SAI
3)is this everything i need?
3" to 2-1/2" coupler
45 degree intake pipe
filter of my choice (size?)
door edge guard
4)Lastly will i have any error codes or problems wit hthis set up?

thank you
-mike
i did mine about a week ago now, it was super easy. idk if you did it yet but ill help ya out anyways. i believe i got a 3"-5" cone. that is everything you need. i just left my sai plugged into the stock box. you could also get one of the tiny cones for it and just wrap the end with electrical tape till it fits snug. very easy to do didnt even have to take the stock air box out. just took off the top and cut it the way the guy shows in one of the earlier threads then the new intake drops right in and the top goes back on. sounds amazing!!! best money spent yet. i wrapped the edges of the cut airbox top with door edge trim like the guy said for looks. looks great sounds great. i havent listened to my radio since ive done it. and no cel light yet

Attachments

#291 · (Edited)
#297 ·
Have the dang pictures and it wont condense the pics so i can attatch them....wtf. Ill get the pics up asap but the SAI tube inlet is slightly larger than the inlet of the breather filter, which measures at 3/4" in diameter...so im guessing its around 1"-1 1/4". Few layers of electrical tape around the inlet should make it fit snug. Mine was pretty simple, for pipe i bought a 2 1/2" to 3" silicone coupler, 2 straight chrome plastic pieces, a straight silicone coupler, a 45 elbow and any filter that you want. Saw intake few inches past the MAF with dremel/ hacksaw whatever (check the thread). the hardest part for me was to get the 2 1/2" coupler end over the MAF tube... you need to boil some water in a pot and then sit the coupler in it for 10 secs or until it gets super soft, then carefully pull and slip over the end. When it cools down it fits uber tight and aint coming off lol then just assemble the rest of the intake, dont forget your trusty hose clamps and youre all good son

**all pipe measures 3"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.