SaabCentral Forums banner

Intermitent stumble and stall

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bob3000 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi:

My 2001 9-5 (2.3t) has developed a "stumble" on idle after running the car for a few minutes after start up. Basically, when the engine is still not fully warmed up, if I come to a light, the rpms will drop for a fraction of a second, the car will almost die, and then jump back up and idle normally. Although, the last few times it has actually stalled, but I am able to put it in park, immediately restart it and drive normally after that.
Just this morning, it stalled after making a bit of a "screaching sound" (similar to when you try to start the car when it's already running and you get that starter grind noise), and once again, I put it in park, restarted it and drove off.
Plugs are pretty new, fuel filter is too, no CEL's to speak of. I originally thought it might be bad gas because I filled up at a rural gas station... but I have since filled up with two tanks of Shell V-Power, and now it started doing this again.
Any ideas what might be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks caiptainbeaky... I'll do that, but stupid question, what does the idle control valve look like?
After doing some more research on this... how about the CPS? Do you guys think it could be the CPS causing issues. It's never been changed as far as I know.
Thanks

#4 ·
Check the following, one is almost certainly your problem:

1. Check all vacuum lines. The stumble and stall at a light or when coming to a stop is a classic sign.

2. Could be the CPS. Easy and cheap fix. I would do it as a matter of course.

3. Good chance it could also be your DIC. Mine would give me fits when cold, but ran fine once it got hot. Get a spare as it is good to have in he trunk anyway as if it hadn't failed now it will.....

Take it o pep boys or autozone and see if there are any codes stored. If no codes I would bet on the CPS, but could be any of the above and as I said having a spare DIC is not wasted money....

#5 ·
Thanks again guys...
Whatever vacuum lines I can identify look ok.
I will order a (Bosch?) CPS tomorrow and put it in at some point.
I have a spare DIC, but will swap that out as a last resort, after I replace the CPS.
I actually cleaned the throttle intake today... seems to idle smoother, but don't think that's the problem.
Is there anything you can do with the MAF? Can it be "cleaned"? Doesn't look like it.
BTW... I do not have any CEL's (used scanner to check). I'm assuming a CPS does not throw CEL's?

#8 ·
Got it... change the DIC first... LOL.... Although, it's a "barely" used one, according to the previous owner, so who knows.
Ya, I'm going to change the CPS anyway, so I guess I'm doing both. Is the OEM CPS unit a BOSCH?
Has been driving good since the throttle body cleaning, but only time will tell....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.