SaabCentral Forums banner

Location of Speedometer Sensor ?

20K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  mlynch001 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
There is no "speedometer sensor" as such.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66323&highlight=Speedometer+Sensor

The ABS uses the signal from the RR hub sensor, this is transmitted to the speedometer..
Correction , its the left side..:nono;
As part of the "high mileage" service, this area at all four wheels needs to be free of dirt and corrosion, the connections good and the ABS harness secure...
I used "search", hard to remember if it is the RR or the LR hub; many have trouble here, particularly if no service work is ever done..

#4 ·
Thanks!
No ABS light and tell you the truth, I haven't had used cruise control since I bought my saab, not even once! I should test that sometime when I have a chance to drive out from this perennially congested NJ area.
I will check Left Rear ABS wheel speed sensor when I do brake job this fall.

#8 ·
I don’t know how seedo and odometer is getting signal from where (same or two different sensors?) but my speedo hasn’t working for a year and strangely enough, my odometer is working fine as well as trip mileage set.

I used frequently to measure the accurate MPG since I haven’t seen a fully displayed numbers on my swiss cheese like missing pixeled SID.

(http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1027205#post1027205)

#9 ·
earthworm said:
There is no "speedometer sensor" as such.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66323&highlight=Speedometer+Sensor

QUOTE]

I sent an email to eEuroparts.com to ask the location of Seedometer sensor part listed on their page as Part Code: 8781932 Part Name: Speedometer Sensor (A/T).

Customer service, Todd Morin, replied promptly just now. see below.
I think I will take a look to see this horribly expensive $120 sensor on the transmission to see if there is a piece of gold or diamond in it....
I am still in the troubleshooting mode to locate the problem.

=========================================================
On the transmission, firewall side.

Thanks
Todd Morin
eEuroparts.com
4 Ridge Road
Putnam, CT 06260
860-963-0038
860-963-9404
todd@eeuroparts.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 10:50 AM
To: customerservice@eeuroparts.com
Subject: Speedometer Sensor location

where this Speedometer Sensor located on my 1997 Saab900S non/turbo?
http://eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=8662
========================================================

#11 · (Edited)
suniku55 said:
I sent an email to eEuroparts.com to ask the location of Seedometer sensor part listed on their page as Part Code: 8781932 Part Name: Speedometer Sensor (A/T).

Customer service, Todd Morin, replied promptly just now. see below.
I think I will take a look to see this horribly expensive $120 sensor on the transmission to see if there is a piece of gold or diamond in it....
I am still in the troubleshooting mode to locate the problem.

=========================================================
On the transmission, firewall side.
I think buddy Todd might be a little confused, the only speed sensors mounted on the Transmission itself are the input shaft speed sensor, and the Output shaft speed sensor. The other sensor is a Transmission fluid temperature sensor. The input/output shaft speed sensors aren't used for the speedo, their used by the TCM.

Yeah that's the wrong part man, according to EPC, 87 81 932 is the output shaft speed sensor and the input shaft speed sensor. These sensors are used to calculate the shifting times

#12 ·
Diosnoche said:
Well if the odometer is working then only the speedo module is defective, not the speed sensors or anything else.

If the speed sensor was at fault, you would have an ABS light, no cruise control, and the odometer would not work as well.
Thanks! This is clear to narrow down the problem.
When you refer 'The speedo module', you mean the unit on the dashboard with numeric speed marked on?
Can this be replaced easily?

This might be an answer to solve my another problem bugged me a year long!
As soon as my speedo stopped working last year, I began to hear hissing sound deep inside the dashboard behind speedo meter when the car travels over 60mph especially louder in summer time with air conditioner on.
I thought it was another seperate problem I need to tackle down after I fix the speedo meter problem but it looks somewhat related.

Thanks!

#15 ·
Newbie needs Help. Speedometer/ABS/Brake lights

I hope this is the place for this discussion. I have a 99 9-3 SE. I have an ABS and a Brake Warning light. I have code P0501. Speedometer, Cruise control and Odometer ALL work. However, My OBDII data log shows NO Vehicle Speed information from the ECU. Car runs perfect. How is it possible for there to be no Vehicle Speed on the Datalog, yet everything works? Cleared P0501 Code and Check Engine light is now out. Code does not reappear. If the left rear ABS sensor drives the Speedometer, and it works, why is there no vehicle speed data showing up at the OBDII Connector? Any ideas? Is there another source for vehicle speed data that is not being discussed or mentioned?

#18 ·
Newbie needs Help. Speedometer/ABS/Brake lights

Yes, However, my question remains?

Where is that missing Data for vehicle speed to the ECU? If signal is missing, and it comes from the LH Rear ABS Sensor why do the speedo and cruise still work?

Signal for the WORKING Speedo and Cruise must be coming from some other source, or the signal for the Vehicle speed to the ECU is coming from another source.

#19 ·
Newbie needs Help. Speedometer/ABS/Brake lights-Redux

Dude - 7 years old, OK, I will start a new thread.

Since I never encountered a single other vehicle that drove the speedometer off of an ABS sensor signal, that is a very strange system, I cannot say. I will say this, most other vehicles have a VSS and three or four ABS sensors. I don't know why SAAB would do it this way?
It should be simple to find out. Jack the car, spin the left rear and see if the speedometer works? I would think that if the left rear wheel sensor does drive the speedo, then if the wheel locked the speedometer should go to zero. OR something should happen "out of the ordinary".
Regardless, my question remains, why NO SPEED Data At the OBD II Port if all else works. This seems to fly in the face of the LH rear hub Sensor explanation. Does the speedometer data come from one source and the ECU data from another sensor? Still waiting to find a reasonable answer based on known information.

BTW- Since I am new, I had to start somewhere, this is where the search landed me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.