SaabCentral Forums banner

remove ac idler pulley?

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  discord 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm having trouble finding the two 13mm bolts which hold the ac idler pulley to the block. I'm assuming that by 'idler pulley' , we are referring to the pulley on the back of the compressor. I found the twin saabs site, but am having trouble finding the bolts...

http://www.twinsaabs.com/900_repair/diyac/step3.asp?nsteps=6

#3 ·
They're are 3 bolts you have to loosen. One of them is common with the power steering pump. You then loosen the tensioner and the belt pops right off. I actually worked on the exact thing on my car today. Since the condenser has a major leak, and I'm not sure if I'll ever swap it, I decided to remove the drive belt for the AC compressor. I just may remove the compressor and lines at some point as well.

#4 ·
I just did that. The crash crushed up the condenser and since I never use the ac anyway I just pulled the rest of the ac components. 2 6mm cap screws come out and the 12mm bolt that's shared with the alternator ground has to be loosened and then you can lift the compressor and its bracketry off. Just cut the belt if you aren't goiing to use it again. 17mm bolt for the idler pully and then stand back in wonderment at all you've exposed of that Saab goodness underneath.

#8 ·
Otherwise, you can take a long wrench and bend the end a little to get better access.
That's what I did...added more bend to the offset and got at it that way. It's also easier if you remover the small hoses (heater and feeder) from the water pump and get them out of the way.

#11 ·
If you take the belt/s off the alternator, pull the alternator towards the fender you have enough room for a regular combo end wrench, then use a 2nd combo wrench for additional leverage. The bottom of the bracket is slotted so you only need to loosen the bottom bolt, not remove it.

#13 ·
A 3/8" drive 12mm flexible socket with a 3/8" extension can be used to loosen this bolt. You can't use a universal with a regular 12mm socket as it is too long to clear the alternator.
I'm not quite sure what you meant by flexible sockets, a special socket, or a flexible rod in-between the wrench and the socket itself?

I've passed the ac compressor removal stage, I purchased an extra long wrench and was able to turn the ******* bolt. Tomorrow I'm going to remove my water pump, so I can resolder the wiring to the CPS sensor which has caused myself, and the car so much grief. I will search the forums for a removal procedure ( water pump ). I was thinking that I remove the pulley bolts first and then can reach the pump mounting bolts.

I've been disappointed by the Bentely Book.

#19 ·
I got the crankshaft pulley bolt out. I still have 1 belt around the middle of 3 rings on my crankshaft pulley, which is also attached to another pulley. From the twinsaabs site it sounds like they called this an optional a/c pulley, however, it is not connected to the compressor (already removed), and is located near and underneath where the a/c idle pulley (also removed). I have tried removing the crankshaft pulley with this belt on, but I'm not having any luck. Therefore, I think I need to remove the little pulley so I can remove the belt and free the crank pulley to get to the CPS. The twinsaabs site mentions 10mm bolts. I'm not finding any 10mm bolts, There are some larger ones which appear underneath the pulley, are these the ones I need to remove to get the pulley and belt off? Should the crank pulley or CPS come off without removing the pulley / belt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.