SaabCentral Forums banner

QUICK Depreciation??

951 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  DanS 
#1 ·
This is my first post here. We are looking at a 07 9-3 sedan. The $4000 incentive is very enticing ($2,500 on 2008s already????). In the past has the incentives increased more in November? We have also worked the dealer to about $300 below invoice on edmunds.com. So a $30,190 car for $24,225. Obviously a great deal so far. My only concern is the immediate depreciation of the car.

using edmunds to see how much a used 2007 9-3 is wholesale is nearly $5000 less than are already low negotiated price. Was anyone else concerned about the quick depreciaition of the car compared to other imports?

On our test drives it has proven to be a great car at a great price, but I don't know how to react...

Also, how was the 2007 reliability wise?

Any insight/advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Flyin_ABQ

#2 ·
That's kind of strange IMO to give $2500 off for a model that just has hit showrooms. Saab must be really worried to offer that much right out of the box. On second thought they didincrease the base price approximately the same amount as the 2500 off, so essentailly they are giving away the price increase for 2008.

#3 ·
Saab's (as well as other rebated models) reflect poorly in resale value because all calculations are based on MSRP, not the discounted price of the vehicle.

If your worried about resale, then simply make your best deal, and make your own leasing arrangement (outside of the dealer).

The number that should settle any arguments here, is the residual value, which ALG calculates at about 58% of MSRP after 36 months (or three stars, which is the same rating as a Acura RL/RDX and Audi A6).

Saab wins here against the Acura and the Audi simply because you've paid far less for the Saab than competing brands who offer hardly any rebate or discount against MSRP.

In terms of a used 07 that's $5k less than an already negotiated price, I say try and find one of those in the marketplace. Chances are you won't be able to. Edmunds and KBB at this point are calculating blue sky. There simply aren't any used 07's in the market right now for them to make a reasonable estimation.

In any event, I say buy what you like and enjoy it. If resale value is your primary concern, then buy a Mini Cooper (#1 rated car for resale today).

Cheers

#4 ·
Flyin_ABQ said:
This is my first post here. We are looking at a 07 9-3 sedan. The $4000 incentive is very enticing ($2,500 on 2008s already????). In the past has the incentives increased more in November? We have also worked the dealer to about $300 below invoice on edmunds.com. So a $30,190 car for $24,225. Obviously a great deal so far. My only concern is the immediate depreciation of the car.

using edmunds to see how much a used 2007 9-3 is wholesale is nearly $5000 less than are already low negotiated price. Was anyone else concerned about the quick depreciaition of the car compared to other imports?

On our test drives it has proven to be a great car at a great price, but I don't know how to react...

Also, how was the 2007 reliability wise?

Any insight/advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Flyin_ABQ

Not totally related, but if you are $300 under Edmunds Invoice, you are doing well. My dealer would have to trade for the car I want... he wants $200 above invoice for him, the dealer with the vehicle seems to want ~$400 for themselves, and there would be $500 in transportation cost... so I'm $1000 over invoice, and thus will be sticking with my Passat instead :(

#5 ·
You are rarely going to win with cars. They are a depreciating asset. If you like the car (ride, looks, options) and know what the potential issues are with the car then make your best deal and go with it knowing that it will be worth less immediately. Drive it for whatever # of years and enjoy it. Obviously, get it for the lowest price you can, especially if they are already discounting the 08's. So far, we like our 2007 2.0t convertible. Comfortable, good looking (in our opinion) and hopefully gremlin free.:D

#6 ·
I think anyone seriously concerned about depreciation should be looking at a used car. The new ones are all a comparative rip-off.

As for the manufacturers selling cars at or below invoice, I think the Import Sport Sedan market is going the way of the inkjet printers, as in sell the car for cost and make the profit on parts and maintenance. Sorry, that should have been PROFIT, not profit.

#7 ·
Saab was rated one of the lowest cost of ownership for LUXURY cars by Forbes recently right behind an Acura. Of course Saab has a lower initial cost and hence lower depreciation over a five year period than the higher priced luxury cars. Saab's don't compare well to economy cars however.

I compared a Saab 9-3 to Honda Accord and Toyota Camry when buying. The Saab was less than both of those when comparably equipped. The Honda and Toyota may have held their value more than the Saab, but the difference was minimal and Saab had free service for three years. Saab also has a better warranty than both of those models.

1. 4 year 50,000 bumper to bumper.
2. 5 year 100,000 powertrain.
3. Unlimited mileage 10 year rust through.
4. 5 year 100,000 roadside
5. 4 year 50,000 $1,000 trip interruption (over 100 miles from home)
6. Free 3 year 36,000 service/maintenance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.