SaabCentral Forums banner

9-5 thermostat chang need instuctions

16K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Adoom 
#1 ·
NEed INstruction I have a 2000 9-5 aero that I need a thermostat change walk thru is there any around .

#22 ·
Is the super stant the one to go with? on one of the links, the part number is 3057761 but no brand for that number?
This is a 2003 95 turbo and I have found that the temp gauge will only go up a !/4 of the way. I would think the stat is the problem?
Thanks,
Dennis

#10 ·
will it be the same for the 2.3 as the 2.0. I see in the pictures of the best one that it says 2.0
Same deal. :cheesy:

Must be that time of year for these to fail. I have the same problem. I just had the coolant flushed 9000 miles ago. Any reason I can't drain just a little to change the t-stat and put it back in when done?
Its not necessarily the time of year that they fail, but you finally notice its failed since it so cold out. And you can def just drain some out and reuse it. Just make sure you are using a nice clean pan to drain the coolant into.

#12 ·
looking at the WIS instructions you will need to drain some of the fluid or you are going to get wet!

Also the WIS states to use Vasoline on the rubber o-ring for the thermostat. Is this correct? I use the regular household Vasoline for this? Funny I always thought Vasoline was bad for rubber. I guess i was wrong?

#15 ·
I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Fluid-Evacuator-MTY7400/dp/B000IHI80O

I sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir and the lower hose that goes to the engine. While it was sucking, I squeezed the upper hose until it sounded like there was no more fluid in that line. After doing this, I lost almost no coolant after disconnecting the upper hose and popping the thermostat off.

Trying to burp an engine with an ambient temp of 9 isn't easy. I drove the car around for quite a while, then idled in the garage for what seamed like an eternity. The temp gauge never went above half and the fans never came on once.

#16 ·
Trying to burp an engine with an ambient temp of 9 isn't easy. I drove the car around for quite a while, then idled in the garage for what seamed like an eternity. The temp gauge never went above half and the fans never came on once.

Hmmmm, it sounds like the thermostat might be jammed open. I cant think of what else would cause this since air in the system would likely result in overheating. Its possible you got a faulty unit or something came loose in the system and got stuck in the stat. I would take it out and put it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer to record what temp it opens at.

#19 · (Edited)
Assuming you have the 89C 'stat it sounds like its operating properly. Thats what I have and no problems getting to normal operating temp and full heat in a matter of minutes even in the -20F temps we have been having. I may have been confused by your other post though...... the temp gauge does make it half way?

#25 ·
I wonder how much would spill out. The owner just Said I could pull it in the warehouse and change it since it is cold But I would have less than an hour and would have to be fast...might be better just to wait.
About a quart will spill, use plenty of rags under the area and put lots of newspaper/cardboard under the car and you should be ok

If I use a FailSafe Thermostat from AutoZone is that a good enough thermostat to use for my car?
Thanks.
SHoudl be make sure that it looks liek the one you are repalcing ( with the bleeder hole/plug/channel) and repalce int eh same orientation ( up)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.