SaabCentral Forums banner

1993 9000 Aero Turbo Replacement

912 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  NZSaab 
#1 ·
Hey -

I'm looking for a little help here... any ideas would be greatly appreciated:

I own a 1993 Saab 9000 Aero (Automatic) and my turbo has just given up the ghost. I believe its a T25 from reading up on this forum, however my mechanic is not 100% sure. I've found a good bargain on a new TD04HL-15G but am unsure whether this will fit straight in or even if this is a good idea...?

My question is - can I fit a TD04HL - 15G to my car without major modifications?

Also, if anyone has any information on the difference between a TD0HL-15G and TD04HL-15T that'd also be sweet.

Thanks a lot...

#2 ·
I don't know if that is the exact Aero spec TD04 turbo, but if you make the switch you will suffer more turbo lag due to the larger turbo, possible problems w/ performance once on boost. Basically you need the ECU mapping from an Aero 5spd w/ the TD04 as standard. But that chip is for a 5spd...

The reason Saab used the smaller turbo on auto Aeros was the extra torque and HP can slush the autotrans rather rapidly, something to consider if you do make the swap and get it running right.

So you can
1) If it fits use the TD04 you found w/o altering the ECU
2) Use the TD04 and get your existing ECU modified
3) Rebuild your existing turbo. Talk nicely to the guys that rebuild truck turbos in your area, you might be shocked at how cheap it is to rebuild. Most unlikely that your turbo 'lunched' itself and broke up internally. Likely needs possible bearing replacement, new seals, and balancing.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.