SaabCentral Forums banner

HID lights and air intake quesiton

993 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rc89pl 
#1 ·
I was wondering if a Simota air intake would fit my car, I can not get the web sight up to check if they have a vehicle specific one for my saab or not. I have seen the way they look in some pics on here and like the style. I am also wondering if anyone has advice on where to get some HID Xenon lights for my car? I read on the 93 ss forum that xenonlink.com was good but you had to get the tech II re configured for xenon. Is this true with our cars also? I just want the easy set up with the least amount of hassles.

#3 ·
i wouldn't really recommend hids because of the glare that is created by the different bulbs and the optics of the housings. there's plenty going on with people looking into effective projector conversions.

#4 ·
Agreed . I have a 9-7x and an NG9-3 and The 9-7x has xenons. They adjust themselves and have an eagle eye looking spherical projection system that the 9-3 couldn't have because the 9-3 NG has the glass on the headlight encasing as sort of a "frosted look" so it couldn't possibly beam out unless you changed the 'frosted look" of the headlights. You need clarity in order to do this.

Look at any car with factory Xenons, the headlights ae perfectly clear and the bulbs look like a projector bulb on a "one gun" you would use to show powerpoint presentations (well sorta, but you get the idea).

I bought some Silverstars and called it a day. GREAT bulbs!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys but the glass that goes around my headlights is very clear. It is not frosted at all so I dont know if they were replaced or not. I just want really bright white light, how well do the silverstars work?

Does anyone have any idea about the Simota air intake?

#8 ·
yep, and polishing out the flutes is supposedly pointless too. i'll probably experiment with projectors in a spare set of lights someday.

for the intake....what specific one? i just googled it and saw many versions. you can always get genuinesaab's open air intake, fab up one of your own with a custom heatshield, or do the 3" pipe thing. just search for it. ;)

#9 ·
LJ[MaVErICK] said:
correct me if im wrong, but the other problem is there are no after market clear lenses for saabs. therefore no xenon headlights either. :( ive been looking for some too. you need to have them custom made for your saab. as far as i know.
It doesn't stop a lot of people from taking other cars and just throwing a xenon set in there. They just want the different color of the xenons vs. standard bulbs. But Xenons are more about intensity and focusing ability.

#10 ·
^^
in which case it's just better for US to use +50 bulbs like the osram silverstars with e-code lenses for more intensity and better focus without bothering with hids. i still want projectors though. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.