SaabCentral Forums banner

350whp for less than 1600$

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Raven18940 
#1 ·
At least that's what I'll be trying in the next month with my used to be dailydriver 2000 9-5 lowpressure.

I usually had my 1991gti with a 1.8t 20v fitted and a whole lot more so I never gave any attention to the wagon exept maintenance so it'd get me around. Then I had to rebuild the head because the previous owner probably overeved it and some valves where bent, I built a 3inch exhaust for it and left it alone again for a while. Then it started knocking, i didn't care and just drove it slower until one day where i revved it and it died. Rod bearings where gone and I knew it. So it's been sitting in the snowbank ever since, because I really did not want to know anything about b235 anymore. For some dumb reason I sold the vw, to fund my 71 bmw projet. And I have no more car...Then it occured to me, theo nly thing i really hated about the 9-5 was that the engine was nothing like the 9000 I had and it was slow.

Check the garage and find I do have,
-b234 crank, rod
-A couple intercooler setups I tried on the vw
-T25 flanged turbo from t28 to gt3071r
-some injetors

-Stock manifold is already t25 and fairly well designed, so that a great time/money saver.
-B234 internals should make this engine stout at least I hope.
-There is a whole lot of room for the intercooler in the front wih is great because the ones I have a fairly big and I will never use a water to air intercooler anymore
-Piping is also a breeze with a lot of room and smile design
-t25 turbos while being restritive higher up and plentyfull and cheap used and should still be more then enough for 350whp and early spool

Am I forgetting something?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
VwAlex said:
Am I forgetting something?
Exhaust and Software (ECU Mapping)

Edit I found this:

VwAlex said:
I built one 3 years ago magnaflow 3inch cat and magnaflow 3 inch straight muffler.
Just software then - possibly fuel pump :confused:

Have you discussed this with a software tuner? They would probably be able to advise on the injectors you will need - its important that the hardware matches the software / and vice versa.

With 350bhp at the wheels I would suggest a stronger clutch - SPEC perhaps - the clutch is a big, gear box out job, so you only want to do it once!

#6 ·
Well custom software for the bigger injectors and that turbo combo etc will probably use up most of that $1600 budget....:lol:

And as Chris said you'll need a new fuel pump for the injectors as well.

Oh and a big intake pipe.

#8 ·
Raven18940 said:
WHy not get a whole B234 short block, the rods and crank aren't the bits you'd want anyway. You want the sturdier pistons and oil pump.
I have a whole b234 but it's off a 93 so different bellhousing pattern. I was going to use the pistons and oil pump, you have no hoice either way with the b234 short rods.

Just found out the cams are another hot bit that I want to transfer:cool:

Just software then - possibly fuel pump :confused:

Have you discussed this with a software tuner? They would probably be able to advise on the injectors you will need - its important that the hardware matches the software / and vice versa.
Just happens that my buddy cracked the SAAB coding and can now do me a custom chip and maybe put something on the market. His software is the most used and praised for vw's and he happens to owe me a favor:D Siemens 630cc are cheap if you know where to look, under 300$.

Clutch is something I'm not sure yet. I had mine rebuilt for a bit more lamping power 2 years ago and it looks awesome now. Maybe I'll give clutchmasters a call, as I never want to deal with SPEC again, big issues with their product and service.

Fuel pump, I had forgotten, another 200$, it goes quick even on a budget haha!

Piping is really no issue, I have a good amount of material already and a MIG, a TIG, a beadforming machine.

Heres the last car I put together for my buddy, same software compagny too;) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7EH7QFlNU

#9 ·
More questions:lol: :

- I can't make up my mind on the balance shaft, no engine I ever had, had those. I did remove them on a mazda 3 once and I'm pretty sure it was responsible for an engine failure much later on.

- What kind of power can the tranny reliably take, if I make sure there'S no more wheel hop?

- You guys want to see anything done/replicated?

#10 · (Edited)
If I were building an engine I'd remove the balace shaft chains and suffer the lumpy idle.

You will need to uprate the fuel pump with the 630cc's

VwAlex said:
Just happens that my buddy cracked the SAAB coding and can now do me a custom chip and maybe put something on the market. His software is the most used and praised for vw's and he happens to owe me a favor:D
Sounds great but are you sure he's "cracked" T7 (9-5's) not T5 (900 & 9-3's) software? :confused:

stevehayes01 said:
You can find more on this at ecuproject.com

OK so you T5 guys need to get on this and test it out.

************UNTESTED AND NOT SURE IF IT IS 100 CORRECT**************************

ORiginal Refering Page

OverviewThis article describes how to calculate the chesum for a Saab Trionic 5 ECU with HexWorkshop.

Calculate the checksumOpen the binary file in HexWorkshop.
Mark all data until the field in the end that is filled with FFFF. Like this:

http://www.xendus.se/images/t5/t5crc1.PNG

In the menus select: Tools->Calculate Checksum...
Select Checksum (32 bit) and then click on Generate. Like this:

The calculated checksum is displayed in the bottom field of HexWorkshop. This value should be put in the very end of the binary file. Like this:

#11 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
If I were building an engine I'd remove the balace shaft chains and suffer the lumpy idle.

You will need to uprate the fuel pump with the 630cc's

Sounds great but are you sure he's "cracked" T7 (9-5's) not T5 (900 & 9-3's) software? :confused:
He's cracked t7/t8, he wont work on anything not obd2, flash loading being the prefered method and personal flash loaders will be available soon, maybe even for Saabs if the demand is there. I've seen him flash big turbo fsi vw wich are far more omplex than t7 or t8, bmw 335 wich he can't legally offer because of bmws politics in that area, his s60r volvo software is loved and vw software is unmatched so I'm not worried in that area. Dyno, a/f and ignition timing will be available for you guys to see once it'S done.

Lumpy idle is the only thing the balance shaft will do? I'm kinda stressed with the b234 internals having such a bad rod ratio in a big engine like that...

#12 ·
VwAlex said:
He's cracked t7/t8, he wont work on anything not obd2, flash loading being the prefered method and personal flash loaders will be available soon, maybe even for Saabs if the demand is there. ..
Impressive :eek:

Portable programme carriers (PPC) have been around for a while:

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/bsr_ppc.php

Or am I confused already :p

#14 ·
I hve the 9k turbo on my LPT ( rebuilt with GT 28 on both sides. Made 250 WHP with Aero Stage III tune.

It seems maxed out now at 320 WHP ( rated at 350 BHP) with a custom tune.

I am running Stock Fuel pump, larger IC T5 cams and 50# injectors. ( and forged pistons and a few ohter things I forget now.)

#15 ·
VwAlex said:
He's cracked t7/t8, he wont work on anything not obd2, flash loading being the prefered method and personal flash loaders will be available soon, maybe even for Saabs if the demand is there. I've seen him flash big turbo fsi vw wich are far more omplex than t7 or t8, bmw 335 wich he can't legally offer because of bmws politics in that area, his s60r volvo software is loved and vw software is unmatched so I'm not worried in that area. Dyno, a/f and ignition timing will be available for you guys to see once it'S done.

Lumpy idle is the only thing the balance shaft will do? I'm kinda stressed with the b234 internals having such a bad rod ratio in a big engine like that...
All those cars are based on a Bosch system, the Trionic is SAAB's own system.

#21 ·
Jssaab said:
So Since when does Bosch have ion sensing ingnition ? Lat I heard it was still using vacuum ..
I love trionic :D but let me assure you Bosch does have ion sensing ignition now
But not in 1993 like we did.:cheesy: Bosch are not the leaders in groundbreaking ecm's infact they are years behind saab sometimes but then saab sit back for 10 years and watch everyone play catch up then their behind:cry:

#22 ·
VwAlex said:
Had a look at bmws recently?;) Or the ESP is bosch, trionic is still saabs own system but don't think it world appart from anything else.
They used to be a world apart, but they haven't made a new one in about a decade. :p

I don't think the T7 is gonna be as similar to a Bosch system as you think, but keep up the confidence, it's what you're gonna need to conquer it.

www.ecuproject.com

These guys have done a lot of the stuff you wanna do. They're very close to making a completely open source program that'll be able to tune the T7. You might fine some of their stuff helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.