SaabCentral Forums banner

chargecooler failure and abbott responsabilities...

3K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
MY chargecooler blown because of too much boost :evil:
Before buying it I asked Giles fairwether (abbott sales man) and abbott's tehcnicians, if the chargecooler can support 1.4bar with reliability. The answer was:

Dear Sir

The new chargecooler will accept 1.5 bar boost reliably, it has got 18 guage
sides that have been roded securely through the middle of the chargecooler
for extra strength, we did have problems with the early ones in 1990, but
the problem is cured with 100% reliabilty.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Giles Fairweather
Tuning & Sales Manager
Abbott Racing Motorsport
Tel: +44 (0)1255 870636
Fax: +44 (0)1255 870057
Mobile +44 07836 297636
Web: www.abbottracing.com
Email: giles@abbottracing.com
----- Original Message -----
To: "Giles Fairweather" <giles@abbottracing.com>
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 3:09 PM
Subject: another question about your chargecooler

the message I sent him before buying the chargecooler:

>
> i would like to purchase in the future a chargecooler kit but i heard that
your
> chargecooler doesn't support more than 12 psi (boost), is it true?
> thanks
>>

Now Abbott told mr that they will sent me a new one for 150£ special deal :evil: :evil:
I don't have to spend any £ they have done a big error!! I can't understand how they can make such mistakes, morever I really don't like to be taken for a stupid man :evil: :evil:

See less See more
#3 ·
How much boost were you running at the time? - also remember that manifold pressure is much less than that in the chargecooer due to pressure loss accross it. It's possible that the boost can sharply peak without it being registered on your gauge - esp without an APC to control it's rare rise. Still pretty poor of them not to offer a free replacement.

#4 ·
Johann F said:
How much boost were you running at the time? - also remember that manifold pressure is much less than that in the chargecooer due to pressure loss accross it. It's possible that the boost can sharply peak without it being registered on your gauge - esp without an APC to control it's rare rise. Still pretty poor of them not to offer a free replacement.

I was running 1.35 bar, but the problem is that they told me yesterday that the chargecooler can't support more than 1.2bar, and they wrote me 8 months ago before I bought it that it supports 1.5 bar with reliability!!

#7 ·
Personally i think this is typical of Abbotts aftersales customer service (or lack of...) and this for me compounds the fact that they are only interested in making a sale and not interested in any support thereafter,
I know of 2 9000 owners who had problems with Abbotts workmanship,
One had problems with their big valve head and another had problems immediately after a gearbox/LSD/Clutch rebuild - both of these flaws Abbott refused to accept any liability or compensation towards the cost of replacement.....
I personally wouldnt touch them with a bargepole - overpriced and overated imho......
My views however dont help you with your problem,
I would send them the copy of the email you recieved from Giles with him stating that the core could support 1.5 bar - threaten legal action if you dont get a replacement :evil: ,
Very poor indeed......

Pete

#10 ·
tandino said:
Personally i think this is typical of Abbotts aftersales customer service (or lack of...) and this for me compounds the fact that they are only interested in making a sale and not interested in any support thereafter,
I know of 2 9000 owners who had problems with Abbotts workmanship,
One had problems with their big valve head and another had problems immediately after a gearbox/LSD/Clutch rebuild - both of these flaws Abbott refused to accept any liability or compensation towards the cost of replacement.....
I personally wouldnt touch them with a bargepole - overpriced and overated imho......
My views however dont help you with your problem,
I would send them the copy of the email you recieved from Giles with him stating that the core could support 1.5 bar - threaten legal action if you dont get a replacement :evil: ,
Very poor indeed......

Pete

I already sent the copy of the emailed that i received from Giles with a letter abour my discontent about the way they treat me.
I am waiting for the answer on monday.

#13 ·
Anyway Aeroman, please keep us informed about the issue of your problem.
I think that there is so much saab owner reading this forum that Abbott sales department must take care of the issue. A bad reputation is so easy to create with few problems with customers that have the ability to reach the public...like aeroman and this forum for example.
But i think that Abbott sales department is enough clever to see that not exchanging the chargecooler can be seen as totally unfair, and an inapropriate way to hold good clients and build a solid reputation.

#14 ·
If at the point of purchase you were relying on Abbott's promise that the chargecooler would withstand 1.5bar pressure, then clearly the product is not fit for that purpose.

Stating that the chargecooler was okay at 1.5bar would have become part of the contract between yourself and Abbotts. Afterall, you would not have bought the product otherwise.

If this should ever come to court, then the outcome will rest on evidence.

#16 ·
Alex said:
Johann F said:
How much boost were you running at the time? - also remember that manifold pressure is much less than that in the chargecooer due to pressure loss accross it.
The design of the Pace cores used in the chargecoolers is such that there is virtually zero pressure drop across them.
Er, seeing as they quote a surprisingly modest 140 cfm flow (versus 105 for a stock c900 IC), 'virtually zero pressure drop' might be stretching things a bit. Especially as the likes of Spearco, PWR et al claim anywhere inbetween 300 and 1,000 cfm for their air/liquid IC's...

#17 ·
Aeroman,

I'm interested to see what reply you get. I do hope they realise the impression that a negative response will have. Many potential customers read this forum.

Personally, I think you have a very strong case given the written evidence you have. From past experience, it would be likely that a County Court Small Claims judgement would go in your favour and I'm sure Abbott knows this.

Alanb

#18 ·
I'm with you on that one aeroman... It's clear to me that you have purchased your item with false information, and with the two emails you will have more than enough evidence to take it to court... When you get your reply from Abott, let us know... If the letter does not meet what you have expected, phone them and talk to them instead, maybe record the conversation, that is what I would do... This way, they will have to answere your questions and you would have it all on tape...
Daniel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.