SaabCentral Forums banner

Key Fob

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  IIIM3 
#1 ·
Tried to get in car this morning and the key fob was not unlocking anything- doors or trunk, and pressing any of the buttons had no effect. I resorted to using the key itself to unlock the driver door and then the alarm goes off. I put the key back together and started the car right up. No problems. Got to work and pressed the key fob to lock and set the alarm and it all works now. Even unlocked and relocked it to be sure.

Is the battery going out on the key fob, or is there another issue? If it is indeed the key fob battery, any problems with simply putting a new battery in it and being good to go?

#2 ·
I believe there is a function on the remote whereby if it is pressed a number of times away from the car i.e. when it does not open the car, then it is locked out until it is placed in the ignition.

This feature is to prevent thieves robbing the keys and walking around a car park randomly pressing the unlock to see which car opens.

A similar thing happened to my keys a few Months ago but has been fine ever since.

#4 ·
Saability said:
Tried to get in car this morning and the key fob was not unlocking anything- doors or trunk, and pressing any of the buttons had no effect. I resorted to using the key itself to unlock the driver door and then the alarm goes off. I put the key back together and started the car right up. No problems. Got to work and pressed the key fob to lock and set the alarm and it all works now. Even unlocked and relocked it to be sure.

Is the battery going out on the key fob, or is there another issue? If it is indeed the key fob battery, any problems with simply putting a new battery in it and being good to go?
HAHA, I just read about this in the manual. It is just a safety precaution for if the alarm goes off, the remote will not work period. The alarm can be set off in any way and the remote will not work until manualy opened. I think its a really good idea on Saab's part. Another funny thing is that i was about to start a thread about this.

#5 ·
I have ESPN :p

Who knows, the alarm could have tripped overnight and I didn't know it, or I could have been too far away when I started mashing the fob buttons.

IIIM3 said:
HAHA, I just read about this in the manual. It is just a safety precaution for if the alarm goes off, the remote will not work period. The alarm can be set off in any way and the remote will not work until manualy opened. I think its a really good idea on Saab's part. Another funny thing is that i was about to start a thread about this.

#6 ·
IIIM3 said:
It is just a safety precaution for if the alarm goes off, the remote will not work period. The alarm can be set off in any way and the remote will not work until manualy opened. I think its a really good idea on Saab's part. Another funny thing is that i was about to start a thread about this.
ARGH, i hate that feature. I have the dreaded issue with the trunk. If i pop the trunk, and open it, BEFORE i disable the alarm, the dang alarm goes off. Now i have to manually open the door and start the car to get the alarm to turn off. Its annoying to me.

And yes i know there is a fix by buying the parts, I just shouldn't have too :roll:

#7 ·
robhurlburt said:
ARGH, i hate that feature. I have the dreaded issue with the trunk. If i pop the trunk, and open it, BEFORE i disable the alarm, the dang alarm goes off. Now i have to manually open the door and start the car to get the alarm to turn off. Its annoying to me.

And yes i know there is a fix by buying the parts, I just shouldn't have too :roll:
You dont have to start the car, you just have to put the key in. I just think its a great safety precaution. And just make sure the alarm is off before you open anything :cheesy:

#8 ·
robhurlburt said:

NEW DISCOVERY!!!!

If you push the "Customize" button and go to system settings, you can change the alarm type. From Full Alarm to Door Alarm (Your key will work even if the alarm goes off.)

#16 ·
chr15gb said:
That means someone could smash a window, rob & trash the cahoonas out of everything inside and the alarm won't go off unless the scumbag opens the door.
I dont think so. I think it just means if anything was done to the door sensors which would include the windows. And all this is doing is preventing the remote from locking up.

#17 ·
IIIM3 said:
I'm not so sure that's the case, last tuesday I was out for Dinner, the rooms Captain tracked me down and said my alarm (03) was going off. I left the table, walked out to within range and reset the alaem with the remote. So that theory is out.

#18 ·
JonV said:
I'm not so sure that's the case, last tuesday I was out for Dinner, the rooms Captain tracked me down and said my alarm (03) was going off. I left the table, walked out to within range and reset the alaem with the remote. So that theory is out.
hmmm, interesting. it would not work for me. Maybe i'll give it a try tonight.

-set alarm
-hit trunk button
-open trunk to set off alarm
-see if remote will turn off alarm...

#19 ·
IIIM3 said:
I dont think so. I think it just means if anything was done to the door sensors which would include the windows. And all this is doing is preventing the remote from locking up.

I don't know how the Saab one works but in my simple mind, the door sensors activate when the door is opened (when the interior light comes on). If the door is not opened, the door sensor does not activate.

There is no window sensor, rather a movement sensor inside the cabin. If the window is broken the movement sensor is activated. If not when the window is broken but certainly when someone reaches in.

The movement Sensor can be switched off if you decide to leave the dog in the car when you go shopping and want to lock the doors.

May well be wrong but that is my understanding.

#20 ·
My alarm has gone off several times and the remote has always worked to disarm it. I can't imagine it working any other way.

My '03 manual says:

Switching off the alarm if tripped
If the alarm has been triggered (direction
indicators flashing and horn sounding) it can
be turned off by pressing one of the buttons
on the remote control or, if you are sitting in
the car, by turning the ignition to ON (see
below).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.