SaabCentral Forums banner

New England SAAB run - May 19, 2012

13K views 118 replies 22 participants last post by  foreversaab 
#1 ·
Trying to generate some interest here. There are a lot of people in New England anxious for all sorts of different get togethers, so hopefully we can all combine forces and get a great cruise in! It's been a long time since I've been on a cruise, so I'm really hoping to get this off the ground.

When - Saturday May 19th, 2012 9-ish AM

Where - Exit 23 off of I-93 in NH, smack dab in the middle of the state

Who - I won't exclude anyone, but would really love to see as many SAABs as possible. Don't have one? I'm sure we can set people up with rides in a SAAB!

The route I had started planning years ago just while out for a drive. It's evolved over the years and has some really nice windy roads, lots of lake views, and a few very scenic spots. Total mileage is almost exactly 100 miles. I plan to do 50 miles in the morning, then have an hour or so for lunch at a nice scenic area. Then in the afternoon we'll do the other 50, with plans for 2 stops (15-30 minutes) for photos, 1 of which could be extended for popping hoods and showing off.

Hopefully the responses pour in and we can all look forward to a great day of SAABing. I think this can be a great alternative for those of us that don't have the time and/or $ for a trip to Carlisle and a great way to kick off a summer of SAAB action!

Hopefully this link to the route works:http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...qrg&oq=us+post&t=h&dirflg=h&mra=ls&via=8&z=11

See less See more
#36 ·
sounds interesting, is the rally point in the post office parking lot? also, will lunch be available to purchase at the scenic area or are you suggesting we pack something?

#37 ·
Not the post office, but directly across the street. That was just the easiest thing to punch into google maps. If coming from the highway you can't miss it. It'll be just about 1/4 mile on your right, a large building with a bright red roof. There is a gas station (also with a red roof) that more or less shares the same lot. This is where I recommend people fuel up that need to, as the Irving and I believe the Mobil both sell 91 octane as their premium, while the station with the red roof sells 93.

And I'm glad you brought up the lunch thing... I had planned on having a lunch stop, but the place I was hoping to hit up doesn't open until memorial day weekend. So, I figure people can pack snacks, and even a lunch if they want, or if they can hold out until the end, I'm planning on doing an "apres cruise" lunch just up the street from the rally point. By my estimates the cruise should be done by 2:00-2:30, so it wouldn't be a ridiculously late lunch. If people are really hungry on the cruise there will be time for them to run out and grab a bite.

Hope to see ya there!

#41 ·
That's right! Get that thing nice and shiny... I love the 02 SE's, last of a great GREAT body style. I've got work to do on my 85 I hope to bring as well. Needs a wash and front brakes. Hopefully the brakes don't present any problems. Worst case I'm stuck driving my 03 9-5 Aero :( haha

#43 ·
You definitely should come up! I lived on Cape Neddick for awhile, you'd be about an hour and a half to and hour and forty-five, well worth the drive! It's going to be an awesome day and we're looking at a great turnout. The more SAABs we have the better.

#44 ·
So a few final details.

Meeting is at "simply birkenstock" in New Hampton, NH. Google seems to like that better than the Post Office. Coming from I-93, you will travel 1/4 mile-ish east on rt 104 towards Meredith and look for the building(s) on the right with a bright red roof.

Meeting at the rally point will be 9:00-9:30am. I plan to be there at 9:00, if you are there before me I apologize, but I will be there promptly at 9:00 and if all goes as planned will be in my rose quartz 85 900.

Fuel is available at multiple places off the exit. I would advise against the Irving, as their premium is only 91 octane, and I believe the Mobil is the same. However the gas station with the red roof just past the Dunkin Donuts sells 93. The route is just under 100 miles, so make sure you've got enough fuel to get you at least that far.

Lunch. I've said it a few times, but my hopes for a lunch stop isn't going to work out. So pack a lunch if you want, and there will be time to stop and eat. There may even be time if people want to take off on their own and pursue lunch. However, I'm hoping some people might want to stick around afterwards and we can do a sort of "apres cruise" lunch just a mile or so from the rally point. Hopefully SAABEH will be meeting up with us for this.

Again, please make sure your vehicles are in good shape for a group cruise. Working lights and signals and even a horn are very important. And most important is your braking system. We could be driving in tight quarters, and the last thing we want is any sort of fender bender. And obviously, we don't want any breakdowns.

Things to bring: I would recommend sunglasses (the forecast looks great), sunblock, plenty of water to drink, snacks and lunch (if you want), a camera, bug spray (one of our stops might be a bit buggy), and good vibes! Two way radios are a good idea too if you have them. I plan on picking up a set tomorrow for at least myself and the last car. They can be very helpful for everyone to have just incase anyone gets mixed up or any emergency arises.

ADVISORY: This is NH. Some spots of some roads are a bit rough. The route is 100% paved, however some roads could use upgrading. While I did pre-run the route and deemed the roads OK for a cruise, I don't know what you drive or what suspension setup you've got or wheel/tire combo or whatever. If anything breaks, it's not my fault. Drive with caution!!!

That's all I can think of for now. Any questions or anything at all, feel free to email me, carkandballs@gmail.com and if something comes up Saturday and we need to wait for you my cell # is 603-738-0874, please don't sell my info to pharmaceutical companies :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!

#56 ·
That was a bunch of fun...well until I had to bail due to the tire situation. Sucked.

Luckily there was an almost new take off at my work in the same size I mounted up. Cleared the check engine light although it was for the dreaded DI casette...no problems with it running and it hasn't turned back on. Let's hope it was just a freak accident as well.

#57 ·
Thanks to everyone that made it out for the run. Would have liked to have seen a few more SAABs make it, but the crew we had was great and it was no problem keeping everyone together. It was nice as always to put a few more faces to some screen names, and it's always reassuring to find out they are actually real people.
We started out with 7, then Adam had to peal off, and then we were down another when Russ suffered a flat tire.
Everyone really seemed to enjoy the route though, and we all made it through without any issues (aside from Russ's flat).
Oh, and the weather was absolutely perfect!

I apologize to Adam for not getting any shots of his kick *** SPG, I'm sure someone snapped a few.

#61 ·
It's OK, you were the only one to stand us up... Finwick where the hell were you? You seemed like the most excited person of all for this cruise.

#65 ·
I'll definitely keep everyone posted. As of now there aren't really any NE events planned until Swedish Car day in late August. I'd like to see some sort of get together/cruise between now and then.

#83 ·
Saab Summer New England Cruise?

I'll definitely keep everyone posted. As of now there aren't really any NE events planned until Swedish Car day in late August. I'd like to see some sort of get together/cruise between now and then.
How many people can make the first weekend in July? The 4th is on a Wednesday and maybe we can make it on 7.6.12 or the 7th or 8th. Maybe with a tentative date people will be more apt to sign up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.