SaabCentral Forums banner

PPC -> some question before buying

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  aeroild 
#1 ·
Hi all, i have a 9.3 1.8t linear (it's a november 2003), 150 HP.

I see that it could become a 204 HP with less then 10 minutes :eek: so i have some questions ...

- how is it possible? Ok, it's only a software upgrade, but all the engine is the same of 175 HP and 200 HP???

- is it dangerous? I mean: i don't want to have my engine good cooked in a couple of months ... i'd like to use my car for some years

- the mileage ... how much does it degrade?

- last, but not least: If i downgrade before regular mile checking in saab assistance ... is there any problem? I mean: in normal check could i have problems?

Tks

Stefano

#2 ·
The short reply is to review the posts on this web site. There are many answers to you questions as well as ones you might not have thought of.

Bottom line the engine in our vehicles when produced have very conservative settings. The engine is capable of a lot more performance. In fact maybe more than what is provided in the upgrades but those are maybe a little less conservative compared to our production settings.

So I suggest looking around for posts, like I have, and read up on the information. Try the search feature on this web site.

#4 ·
I know how you feel, trying to decide if there is an inherent problem with pushing the engine by upgrading the ECU. This is my third 4 cyl. turbocharged car in a row. Since 1999 i have had two Audi A4's and now the 2004 2.0T convertible, all manual transmissions. I have seen this same question asked on this a similar forums at least 200 times. I know of hundreds of people whom have "chipped" their car and anly a couple have had any problems. Those most likely would have occurred any way due to a weak component from the factory or extreme driving habits. I assume people buy these sport sedans to drive them in a "sporty" manner. By modifying the ecu you transform the car's performance to a much more fun to drive vehicle. You must use common sense with this setup. ALWAYS let the car cool down for 2 minutes or so after pushing it before you shut it off. This allows the turbo to cool better. It is not possible to answer the qustion of how much it would wear the engine out with the upgrade. It is like any thing eles, if you constantly push it to its limits I would guess it will cause premature wear and failure. I only keep my cars for 3 years or so (50,000) miles, so I do not worry so much. Each of these engines are set up differently with minor changes to some components, hence the HP differences. I try not to worry or think so much about the numbers, but know that the car, especially one with a manual tranny will run significantly better. Best $850 I spent on a car was for my BSR PPC upgrade. Plain and simple 250 HP in that car is real nice. Stop all the thinking and just do it.

#5 ·
I have the 2.0t PPC, best bang for bucks you can buy. See my 2.0t dyno before and after charts to see the effect on HP and Torque. What BSR promised, they delivered.

As to being concerned about the long term effects on your car. Hirsch is Saab's approved tuning partner. Hirsch's Step 2 for the 1.8t/2.0t takes it up to 210 HP and 330Nm. This is achieved by a similar software upgrade to BSR plus new injectors to increase fuel delivery. No engine internals are changed by Hirsch to cope with the increased power. If Saab has approved this and will warrant all their parts then I have no doubt at all that the 1.8t/2.0t can easily cope with the BSR PPC upgrade and more. The same applies to the 2.0T as well.

The 1.8t and 2.0t are identical engines, the 2.0T is almost the same but with a few different parts. The difference between the 1.8t and the 2.0t is the state of tune of the ECU. BSR brings the 1.8t and 2.0t to the same tuning status. The PPC does this by changing boost, timing and fuel delivery.

I've travelled over 4000km now with it. As for mileage, I think I'm up about 0.2L/100km on average. Over the 25,000km I will travel in a year, this will cost me an extra 50L (almost 1 fill-up).

I had my car in the shop for a wheel alignment and tech 2 adjustments. I restored factory settings before hand and no problems were experienced. So far I have uploaded the BSR settings 4 times.

You have a 1.8t @ 150HP. I noticed a huge difference with my 2.0t @ 175HP. You will notice a mega improvement. Just bring a change of underwear when you go for your first drive. :cheesy:
Just do it. :D

#6 ·
Saba said:
I have the 2.0t PPC, best bang for bucks you can buy. See my 2.0t dyno before and after charts to see the effect on HP and Torque. What BSR promised, they delivered.

As to being concerned about the long term effects on your car. Hirsch is Saab's approved tuning partner. Hirsch's Step 2 for the 1.8t/2.0t takes it up to 210 HP and 330Nm. This is achieved by a similar software upgrade to BSR plus new injectors to increase fuel delivery. No engine internals are changed by Hirsch to cope with the increased power. If Saab has approved this and will warrant all their parts then I have no doubt at all that the 1.8t/2.0t can easily cope with the BSR PPC upgrade and more. The same applies to the 2.0T as well.
Where can i find more info about this Hirsch's Step 2 approved (and warranted) by saab?

The 1.8t and 2.0t are identical engines, the 2.0T is almost the same but with a few different parts. The difference between the 1.8t and the 2.0t is the state of tune of the ECU. BSR brings the 1.8t and 2.0t to the same tuning status. The PPC does this by changing boost, timing and fuel delivery.

I've travelled over 4000km now with it. As for mileage, I think I'm up about 0.2L/100km on average. Over the 25,000km I will travel in a year, this will cost me an extra 50L (almost 1 fill-up).

I had my car in the shop for a wheel alignment and tech 2 adjustments. I restored factory settings before hand and no problems were experienced. So far I have uploaded the BSR settings 4 times.

You have a 1.8t @ 150HP. I noticed a huge difference with my 2.0t @ 175HP. You will notice a mega improvement. Just bring a change of underwear when you go for your first drive. :cheesy:
Just do it. :D
:lol: thank you so much!

Stefano

#7 ·
Ste73 said:
Where can i find more info about this Hirsch's Step 2 approved (and warranted) by saab?
You can visit Hirsch performance's webpage at http://www.hirsch-performance.ch

Unfortunately there's no information on their webpage about 1.8t/2.0t step 2 yet. I picked up a Hirsch leaflet at Saab Turbo Club of Sweden's meeting at Knutstorp 24 April, and according to this leaflet there is a step 2 that gives 210HK/330Nm.

Since Saab Automobile AB apparently has approved Hirsch's upgrades for the 9-3SS, you may be able to order it from your local Saab dealer soon. I see that you live in Italy, so you can even consider visiting Hirsch in St. Gallen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.