SaabCentral Forums banner

Lube clutch mech thru inspection cover??

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GaryG 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that it's a good idea to clean the internal (infernal) clutch mechanism on an NG900 by removing the inspection cover - squirting brake cleaner in and then spraying the moving parts wih some white grease. OK so I get the cover off but even with a flashlight I can't see anything to clean - there's the main vertical shaft of the mech but everything seems to be obscured bt pipes etc. How the hell do you do this?

#2 ·
This clean/lube process may well be possible on the newer Saabs; but I have never done this on any Volkswagen, Saab 96 or 99 or 900.. This is normally a service free area - until the clutch wears out.....

#5 ·
cleaning might remove grease

Agree, but my concern is that you will end up removing the grease with brake cleaner and cause more problems. Greasing the fork bearing would be pretty dificult through the inspection window. Furthermore, you will only be able to apply to only grease one side.

#6 ·
If you get the right angle you can see everything inside the bell housing with a flashlight. The white grease sprays out kind of foamy and moves around to cover a large area. Don't forget to also lube the bearing where the arm enters the bell housing.This is a necessary operation on my 1996 every 6 months before the pedal gets too much resistance. The throw out bearing must be going bad and this helps it to limp along.

#7 ·
Hi Gary - the problem is getting the right angle - there are pipes in the way! Maybe there's a different pipe arrangement on the UK cars - is yours a Turbo as well? I'm going to have another go with someone depressing the clutch. Maybe I'll not use brake cleaner and just try some grease.

#8 ·
Turbo's have more pipes in this area than non-turbos but you should be able to get a small can into position to hit the bearing. Use a red nozzle extension straw to keep the lube directed and have a buddy work the clutch when applying it.

US and UK should be the same exhaust arrangement. The only difference would be the length of the clutch cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.