SaabCentral Forums banner

fault codes , are they available?

40K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gghh 
#1 ·
Hi is there any place to get hold of the offical saab fault codes , rather than the generic obd2 codes , i just had a fault code on my 3.0tdi , accordeing to generic obd2 codes its a misfire in cylinder 12 lol only 6 cylinders boys

so are the real saab specific codes available , i am sure our local saab dealer is fed up of me calling!

#5 ·
jaggy said:
Hi is there any place to get hold of the offical saab fault codes , rather than the generic obd2 codes , i just had a fault code on my 3.0tdi , accordeing to generic obd2 codes its a misfire in cylinder 12 lol only 6 cylinders boys

so are the real saab specific codes available , i am sure our local saab dealer is fed up of me calling!
Whats the code your getting, I could look it up and see myself. Cylinder 12? Hmm well maybe you have another invisible 6 cylinders hiddin somewhere.

#6 ·
In addition to my 2006 9-5 I also have a 2002 Chrysler 300M. I can read the OBD II error code directly off the odometer by using the vehicle Built In Test.

To retrieve OBDII Error codes from your Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicle, do the following sequence with the key: ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON and look at the odometer, that is where codes will be displayed. Here are the codes that you may/can get.

Then I can look up the error code of the following web page

http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html

Too bad that GM and Saab do not have the same.

#11 · (Edited)
OBD II Code Schema

Though this be madness, yet there is method in it :confused:

From the OBD-codes web site

http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/obd2-codes-explained.php

FAQ: OBD2 Codes Explained

OBD-II codes consist of a number of parts. Here is a sample OBD2 code:
P0171 Here is a breakdown of what each digit of the code means:

First Character - System
The first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.
P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = Undefined

Second Digit - Code Type
The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-IIequipped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.
0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
1 = Enhanced (manufacturer specific)

Third Digit - Sub-System
The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code
1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved

Fourth and Fifth Digits
These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem. For example, a P0171 code means P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1). To lookup your particular code, visit our OBD Trouble Codes section.

Your codes are manufacturer specific and not generic or unversal. Sorry that we could not help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.