SaabCentral Forums banner

The First post, every new turbo-owner should read!

64K views 64 replies 42 participants last post by  Elyk 
#1 ·
Wuhuu, you've got a turbo! First now, what do you do!?
You:
1. Change the oil to full synthetic quality oil and filter, regardless of what the PO says.
2. You change the coolant and flush the system, regardless of what the PO says.
3. You replace all ignition components, that being the rotor, cap, leads and plugs (NGK BCP7EVX for 16v turbo, BP7ES for 8v turbo), regardless of what the PO says.
4. You investigate or/and replace all vacuum-hoses, regardless of what the PO says.
5. You test/replace the bypass-valve, regardless of what the PO says.
6. You unplug the connector on top of the APC-solenoid (located above the radiator, with three large vacuum-hoses going out of it, and a connector on top), to check the base-boost. Drive the car warm, find an inclining road, go into third and floor it. Note the boost on the CALIBRATED boost-gauge, and adjust to 6 psi or 0.45 bar. Shorten the actuator rod for higher boost, lengthen it for lower boost.
Yipeee, NOW you're ready to start modding...
THEN! The first you do is:
1. Mod the APC as per www.900aero.com, realise it isn't enough, and
2. Mod as per http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49981&highlight=newest
3. Change broken gearbox
4.. Fit fuel-chip, that dosn't quite cut it, as you run lean at some points, and rich at others.
4. Do the vacuum-capsule mod http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28608&highlight=walkthrough
5. Change to new gearbox
6. Realise you need a bigger turbo, find and fit...
7. Realise you don't have the correct fuelling and ignition-control...
8. Search the project-threads, and find out Megasquirt is your next step towards insane power....
9. Fit strengthened gearbox
10. Join the Dark side with the rest of us!

Regards,
The Reverend...

See less See more
#4 ·
grif900 said:
I second that. Luke, Feel the power of the dark side.
lol - fantastic, although Jim will :nono; you for replacing components that don't need replacing :lol:

Daniel in the 2nd part you forgot step 2.5 - chuckle to yourself after you show that V8 mustang what a saab can do and then 2.6 - you realize that that STI or EVO you saw on the highway the other day isn't that fast :cheesy:

#5 ·
Numero Uno Post

For my first Post I would like to say, All this information is certainly some good advice. The only item I tend to disagree with is the synthetic oil, but that is ONLY because I have only used regular oil so I really can't judge the True difference. My 94 Saab turbo has run Dino since day One but I may givee the synthetic oil a try:cool:

#11 ·
I use different high quality fully synthetic oils, castrol, mobil1 etc. 10/40, 5/40, 10/50, 5/50, didn't notice much difference, I must say, between them...
Daniel.

#12 ·
Hey Daniel thats a great resource, I love it when someone does a great summary like that and I'm sure that it helps a lot for anyone contemplating a restoration of one of these great cars.
One question I have for you is what do you do to strengthen the 5-speed pre 1990 box to allow higher hp mods to atleast have a chance of not ruining the box?

#17 · (Edited)
Ihmo, good oil with purple dye added to it will not make your car go faster or last any longer,please don't start another oil-thread (the subject has been beaten to death 'round here. Search,read ,learn).

I've left many 5.nothing drivers in the dust but, I am quite shure that I (me, and my 20 year old Saab) lulled them into a false sence of security and then took them by suprise. :cool:

p.s. I failed to mention good driving skills on my part.

#19 ·
none, without a decent amount of work......

i forward you to a famous image, created by one of our own

G

#24 · (Edited)
hi,i just bought a 1988 saab 900s 8v turbo she is the 89 shape 2 door it only has 145000 miles done and is pretty good condition,i want to tune the engine to about 250hp but i really need some ideas on how i would achieve this?i live in ireland so there is not a lot of options for me here,all my mates laughed when they saw the car but i hope i will have the last laugh when all they will see is the back of my 1988 saab disappear:D any help much appreciated.i just wanted to ad is it possible to fit the 16v head or is the 8v enough for tuning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.