SaabCentral Forums banner

What's this thing (and why is it leaking oil?)

36K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  CarSnaab 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to track down a small oil leak for a couple months. I cleaned everything off and watched for fresh oil. I had at first suspected the PS pump that several folks have had trouble with, but it turns out the culprit is the thing behind it. Does anyone know what it does? It's still hard to tell, but I'd guess that the shaft seal coming out of the motor is the true source of the leak.

See less See more
#16 ·
You are correct, I found it in the WIS.

JM, do you have a WIS? Basically it looks like this vacuum pump is similar to the power steering pump in that it connects directly to the cam shaft. From what you say it sounds like you might either need to tighten it or replace. There is a seal where the unit meets the side of the engine, I don't however know if you can replace it alone.

replacement steps seem extremely easy and could most likely be done faster than a power steering pump. there are actually only 4 steps.

Good Luck!

btw... the part number on that unit for my car is 12787763(but i can't seem to find any record of it)

#6 ·
Thanks, folks. The part number on the black plastic thing is 12787708, BUT, I'm not sure this is the part in question. The black thing is attached to a round metal thing with a bracket. The round thing is sort of like a smaller tuna can, looks for all the world like it has a rotating shaft going into the motor. I seem to remember once that we had a vacuum pump, could that be it??

#9 · (Edited)
LOL, yes, that must be a typo in the WIS, Ionization makes a bit more sense. Google further down in my searches on jonization I did turn up some stuff on theoretical plasma physics, but i'm guessing IONization.

Anyhow, i think that the electronic module isn't really connected to the more deeply burried thing. I think cadcamjim's note that came in just before my clarification is right. If it is the brake servo vacuum pump, does anyone know how it's put together? I'd still put $ on the idea that the pump itself is OK, but the seal between it and the engine block is gone. Of course it's hard to see much detail since there are so many wires, hoses, and modules in the way. Or Jlrdrony might be right, the valve cover gasket could be leaking, but it looks mostly like its coming from lower.

#10 ·
OK, I've edited the picture to make things a little more clear - the part in question is the metal can shaped thing. You might need to hit reload to make my arrow appear - it turns out it happens to be attached to the black electronic stuff, but only by a bracket - I don't see any electrical connections. If cadcamjim's idea is right, does anyone know how to R and R it? I'm hoping that unlike the PS pump, I'm not contaminating anything with this small oil leak and that it's just dripping down the side of the motor.

#17 ·
Thanks Ridenbaugh - I don't have the WIS, but I'll look later to see if alldata has a procedure. Or maybe I'll figure out how to get me a WIS.

From what you say, there would be two potential sources of a leak, one might be the seal around the rotating shaft, the other would be a failed gasket between the pump and the motor. Does that make sense?

#19 ·
Yes, it makes sense. But I'm not real sure where what seals are aside from the one in the pic. I'll attach a pic that maybe will help you out. ;)

hint hint... IDM is the abbreviation for Ionization Detection Module. undo the two bolts holding it on and you can move it out of the way to get a close look at your problem area.

Good Luck!

#20 ·
this is a little off topic, but while he are on the semi-subject. Are there any actual benefits from having the power steering pump and vacuum pump connected via the cams? In the past with the power steering pump at least it was tied in with the S belt. Never had one leak that way...

#21 ·
Thanks, that does look relatively easy, assuming I can find that rubber o-ring.

I don't think it's all that that odd to drive them that way - back in the day of mechanical fuel pumps many were driven by an extra lobe on the camshaft.

I think the main idea was to save space and achieve some balance (engine feng shui :D). Sure, the PS pump and vacuum pump could have been moved to the other side, but that would mean five sets of hoses and wires and pulleys all crammed to the belt side of the motor where there's already very little space. Plus, there more stuff on a single belt, the more likely it is to have problems.

#23 ·
ahh perhaps I am showing my age lol. ;)

I guess the benefits are worth it in the long run. I would still prefer electromechanical power steering like I had in my 07 VW. No whine, and when the esp was activated it practically steered itself. It would nudge the steering wheel in the correct direction so the driver would at the very least know which way to turn the steering wheel.(it was very impressive, I played with it many times in empty parking lots.)

#24 ·
Thanks for the information in this thread. I think I found the leak behind the o-ring on mine as well. I just pulled the pump and the over ring is extremely brittle. Oil is puddled directly below this pump. it did not feel loose when I broke the bolts. I guess I will try to find a new one now. If not, I may have to make one.

#25 ·
Theres a 'how to' for this somewhere here I believe.

Just a note, if you guys cant find or get the gasket for the vacuum pump itself, you can us an imperial '232' size oring, which any good hydraulic shop should have, only a buck or two if that. If you do use the oring, push it into the tighter corners of the groove first, otherwise it will want to pop out. Also, NBR is good (nitrile) but if you can get a viton one it will handle the heat better over time
DONT, get the crappy one laying around the corner store type of deal ;ol;

#29 ·
..Vac Pump Seal = SAAB/GMC P/N 5556110 $11.70... bought one recently, just google the P/N... BUT, apparently the pump can also leak internally, search forums..

lm
Ok, I pulled the GKT seal (go cart track seal) and found that it was very brittle. I replaced it with a new one. I still have a puddle of oil. I can't get a good look at it but it is dripping from that unit and flowing down the back side of the valve cover. At this point I am thinking that I need to pull the valve cover and see if the Oring/seal between the head and the pump is bad.

#30 ·
I just found a post by swedecar on saabnet stating the following and this may apply to me:

Most likely it is the brake vacuum assist pump seal. The problem with being an 03 or 04 is that they changed the thickness of the o-ring seal from 05 and up and it takes that 05 and up pump housing to fit the new seal.

If you just buy the seal and try to use it for an 03-04 pump, you will crush the seal and also tweak the pump housing so that another seal in the pump start to leak and that seal cannot be bought as a separate spare part but comes with the whole pump.

#31 ·
Makes sense I bought an 04' ARC a year ago and the previous owner told me he had an oil leak from that pump, and he tried to change just the gasket and it kept leaking. Ended up replacing the whole unit just to be sure.

#32 ·
Brake booster vacuum pump oil leak

I agree with Ridenbaugh's posts as from the information I have a similar oil leak. My trusted Saab mechanic thinks it is the brake booster vacuum pump. He states he has seen a lot of these. He says replacing the gasket won't be a permanent fix and he discouraged me from replacing it with a used part for the same reason. The bad new is he wanted 400 usd to replace it. I did a lot of online research. I found an OEM pump for $145. I talked to people, looked at several references. It appears it is a straightforward swap. The torque settings have already been posted on this thread. I am going to take a shot at it and repost the results. I have also come across information that makes me think the later Saab 9-3s have a more accessible vacuum pump so this may be a more complicated repair on earlier models. Mine is a 2007 2.0t.

#34 ·
I can do it in about four minutes. Then again, I've done it 5 times.

Mine is better now that I've replaced the seal to the engine and slathered it and the cap seal with gasket maker. Not smart but I wanted it fixed or at least to know what the problem was for sure. It was the seal under the cap. That'll make sense when you've got it off.

#37 ·
Is it absolutely necessary to drain the oil before removing, Haynes manual says that you should "prepare for oil spillage" but I'm not sure how much oil...

Also is OEM necessary? I found this part on RockAuto for $160:
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=6891048&cc=1434409&jnid=421&jpid=0

--
07 9-3 2.0t
No, you don't need to drain the oil. Some will come out, yes.

Pierberg makes lots of OEM stuff. Can't say if they did for Saab vacuum pumps. Assuming that is the right part number I'm sure the quality is fine.

#39 ·
Apologies for reviving this, but I don't think it was ever answered about the part in question.

I replaced my cam cover gasket but still am getting some oil near the far back right bolt, and I believe it's coming from the part just to the right. Essentially the thing the vacuum pump bolts to. Anyone know if there is a seal there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.