SaabCentral Forums banner

Translation if possible - V8 into a Saab99

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Tomarse 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You can get a gist from online translators:

First paragraph:

Like many know , lit 60- studies ultimate Saabin uuteen 99- exemplar engine Imperial. It oli Ricaro - corporation devising and Saabin together Triumphin too evolving , and Triumphin unprepared. Initially suunniteltiin litraista. Ensimmäisiin motor lit litrainen , which afterwards face litraiseksi. Saab skeleton engine litraisen B - engine and liquor manufacture it Swedish. Afterwards lit H - engine and 16- ventilator , only infrastructure enduring og900- exemplar 90- studies till.
That thread seems to be a history of Saab engines rather than fitting a stag engine. Not sure why anyone would want to do it anyway? The H engines in Saabs are somewhat superior and much easier to tune.

#3 ·
I was wondering whether you could put Saab heads on the block, i guess one would be the wrong way around though:confused: , just thought a 3 or 4 litre twin turbo RWD 900 would be quite interesting, if it could be done (use 2 16v Turbo Saab heads, or just Saab turbo pistons maybe????)

#4 ·
some where in my book case i have a book that talks about saab experimenting with a V8 99 useing the stag engine, but plans were dropped as saab thought the nose weight was too high and the handling was upset so it didnt drive all that well, saab went the turbo rout instead

#7 ·
Without wishing to sound biased, but isn't the Truimph V8 supposed to be rubbish?
If you want to do a V8 concversion I would have thought a Rover V8 would have been a better bet as there is much better support for them in terms of parts and tuning (RPi engineering being one them). Of course that said I don't know if you could cram a Rover V8 in there :cheesy:

#9 ·
I was really more interested in parts compatibility, using saab pistons, maybe timing gear, so rather than a straight swap it would be some kind of Saab/triumph hybrid:confused: .

But i suppose a RWD 3 or 4 litre twin blower 900V8 would be an interesting site:cool: .

#10 ·
VikingSpirit said:
Without wishing to sound biased, but isn't the Truimph V8 supposed to be rubbish?
If you want to do a V8 concversion I would have thought a Rover V8 would have been a better bet as there is much better support for them in terms of parts and tuning (RPi engineering being one them). Of course that said I don't know if you could cram a Rover V8 in there :cheesy:
They were always considered rubbish because of the issues of heads seizing on, and pump failures etc. Modern coolants and other improvements have cured all the issues, and it's the fashion to have a stag engine in a stag again.

But they're still not a decent replacement for a Saab engine.

#11 ·
sorry, I've only just found this thread!

VikingSpirit said:
I've debated a rover v8 conversion too :cheesy: . You could possibly use an adaptor plate to bolt a v8 to a saab gearbox.
I never got round to comparing a v8 to a saab gearbox!

I'm not sure if the v8 would fit under a saab bonnet though. Theres a fair bit of height to a v8 - little things like the air intakes/carbs and the dissy stick up quite high above the rocker covers.

realistically, fitting a later 16v saab engine gives the same sort of power as a rover v8 and is much less hassle!

A year or two back i did find a classified ad for someone selling a RWD v8 powered saab 99. I cant find it now though :(

#12 ·
Si said:
I was really more interested in parts compatibility, using saab pistons, maybe timing gear, so rather than a straight swap it would be some kind of Saab/triumph hybrid:confused: .

But i suppose a RWD 3 or 4 litre twin blower 900V8 would be an interesting site:cool: .

Aha! Something i know about!

The Triumph stag V8 is quite literally two TR7 (and early saab 99, the 1.X liter ones with the skinny valve cover) engines stuck together.
As such, the left hand head is the TR7/saab head, while the right head is a stag-only unit.
Because of the V setup, you can't just plop the left head on the right side, the exhaust ports would be where the intakes are supposed to be and the head bolts (angled, dumb design) would have the head at a 50 degree angle to the block.
If you rotated the head to fix the above problems you end up with the front of the head, with the timing chain sprocket, at the rear of the block, not so good.

Someone did some research a while ago about trying to put Sprint 16v heads on it, but found that and gave up.

If you have a good cooling system, and if/when it blows a head gasket you stop driving imedietly (rather then trying to make it to whatever), they are decently long lived.
They don't have any more problems then the early saab 99's reliability wise.

They do weigh a lot though.

#13 ·
So what would be the chances of Saab turbo pistons fitting into a Triumph V8 block?

due to the Trimuph engines over heating problems are you just asking for trouble.

I'd only undertake something like this if i could twin turbo it, else there's no real point as you can make good power with a blown 2l engine.

I could fab up the headers and intake pipes myself, just would'nt want to get too bogged down in remanufacturing engine parts.

#15 ·
OK so what about a rangie V8, box and AWD, into a Saab?

Anyone done that before?
Just think of the difference in wheel size combined with the difference in weight:cheesy: What kind of acceleration are you going to get:eek: .

#16 ·
Si said:
OK so what about a rangie V8, box and AWD, into a Saab?
Have you seen how big a rangie box is? You aint putting that in the front of the car unless you want to make a very big transmission tunnel!.

My landrover 101 has a rangie engine and box in and that uses a special shorter bell housing to make it fit - and its still huge!.

If you are serious about doing the RR engine and box, Jambo (sorry Jamie! :lol:) is trying very hard to get rid of a RR as he doesnt have the space to keep it (and neither do i :( ). got space in your garden Si?

#17 ·
He just offered it, yes i have got space, although i don't think the neigbours will appreciate it! Would have to strip it and get the shell collected relevitely quickly.
I'd probably strip the Saab (try and pick up another 2 door carb or injection) right down then cut all the nessesay bits out and just weld in a tube frame to stiffen the shell.

Who could say no to an AWD 4l V8 900?

#19 ·
Ive always thought with the new link between subaru and saab that a scooby "boxer" engine and 4wd system would be a fun upgrade for a 900! lot of power potential there!

#20 ·
nONONONONONONONONON TWIN TURBO v8:cheesy:

As you can get supercharged rover V8's i figured it would'nt be to hard to swap psitons and twinturb it, Not sure about the ratio's on Rangies 4*4 though so may have to mess with that and the primary gearing as the engine would be shifting a tonne or so less weight about.

#21 ·
The Stag motor is every bit as weak headgasket wise as the TR7 motor, which is pretty damn weak...

I have no idea what the bore of it is, so i don't know about the pistons.
The issue isn't really pistons though, they seem to be quite strong, it's the lousy head clamping provided by the slanted head studs, combined with the siamesed cylinders.

I think a Rover V8 would be a much better choice, you could use a supercharged one as it stands, no need for different pistons really, it's already a forced induction engine.

Just avoid the 3.9's, they have very thin cylinder walls, and tend to crack n/a, turbos would be doooooom.

#22 ·
Si said:
Not sure about the ratio's on Rangies 4*4 though so may have to mess with that and the primary gearing as the engine would be shifting a tonne or so less weight about.
Yeah, you may want to change the ratios around a bit. There may be a better gearbox for the job than the range rover one? (though there are places like this one that sell higher ratio gear kits for RR gearboxs)

Using a RR drive train would also give you low-box.. not sure quite why youd want this on a saab but it sounds fun! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.