SaabCentral Forums banner

tire size for stock 15" wheels - opinion

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gustavm 
#1 ·
do most of you guys run 185/60/15 ? or does it make a big difference to run the stock 185/65.. i know its only about 1/2 inch diff , but does the shorter sidewall look better on the 15's? i just bought a set of spg alloys for my 89 vert and am planning to cut the springs to close that fender gap a bit

#2 ·
I have 185/65s on my '91 vert, on the stock "15-slot" alloys (15x5.5?). I too wanted to close that wheel well gap a little bit, and tried to fit 205/60s, but they rubbed on the front spring cups. 195/60s have a smaller OD, so that wouldn't have worked in filling the wheel well. I think the tallest tire I can run is 195/65-15s, which has a bigger overall diameter, so those should fill the wheel wells better. Also, from what I can gather on the web, the 195/65s have a wider footprint, so they'll look wider from that angle as well.

I have a line on a set of super Aeros, which I think should work. If my research is accurate on those, they should be 16x6.5, same bolt pattern and hub diameter, +27mm offset, so the 205/55-16 Bridgestones should clear the front spring cups.

#3 ·
The standard size for the later 900 models was 195/60R15, 195/65R15 looks a bit offroad-ish to me, nice size for wintertires though. But some people have had trouble with rubbing at the rear with them. My dad has them on his 900 Aero with no problems though, I guess it depends on the condition of the suspension.

205/55R16 will rub like hell on the rear and looks huge on a 900 imo. It's the stock 9000 size.

205/50R16 (I use them as summertires) rubs too if your suspension and bumpstops are poor. But looks very nice and drives even better (very sporty!)

195/50R16 is the most safe size for 16" on a 900, but you do need to lower the car else you have a lot of space between the arches and the wheel. Also it gives a big speedo difference (You drive slower than the speedo says) Haven't heard of rubbing stories with these.

195/55R16 (I drive those in the Winter) looks kinda the same as 195/65, offroad-ish. Drives good though, a bit lighter in the steering cause of the width, but also a bit more wobbly. I don't really mind that though cause sporty driving with snow is dangerous. :lol:

#4 ·
195/60/15 on 15 x 6 Directional 9000 wheels. Sweet Ride. I think this size also helps protect the wheel from curb rash as well.

And for all intents and purposes, 205 55 16 on 16 x 6.5 Aeros with Brand New Tires is a pretty good ride as well.

Tires was another repair that totally softened up my suspension. I hadn't had a new set in a while and getting a new set installed last week made a world of difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.