SaabCentral Forums banner

New 9-5

5K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  chalkpie 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
All the shots, including the JUST RELEASED INTERIOR shots as well as a Saab Australia press release are here on the blog.

UPDATE: My apologies, but the link from GM media was dodgy. They'd dumped some 9-3 SportCombi interior photos into the 2006 9-5 file. And here I was getting quite excited about them retaining the interior design.

Oh well.

Extra Exterior shots are still available at the blog. See link above.

#8 ·
I like it. Gives it an edge over everything else, it'll turn heads. I think (hope) in a good way.

#9 · (Edited)
Not awful. But not inspiring at all.

Overall. I like the new nose, but the 3 slot grill under the bumper is too busy.
The detail in the grill and lights looks good.
I like the dark gray color.
The rear end is ok - looks like any other german car. Probably for a reason.

Overall I don't see how this car shows any real design character beyond than what it already shares with European brands.

Too me, they could have also taken time to reduce weight, offer a wider variety of engines in the US, improve safety, better handling, etc.

Instead, I see a facelift and big expensive wheels.

I will be interested to read a road test and see if it performs on par with the BMW 5, Mercedes E-class or Audi A6.

Although, looking again... it is more bad-***. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's the 9-3's older, bigger, meaner brother.

#15 ·
Where is Sexson Sason - the original Saab designer - when we need him - or better yet, his grandson...

Good thing this is attempt is ID with the large placard "SAAB 9-5", otherwise , a potential buyer would think, depending on how far away he is....

Oldsmobile
Ford
Nissan
Honda
Toyota
Buick
Saab
Lexus
brand X

#16 ·
Wagon looks very last-gen 5-series Touring, especially the 3/4 rear view. Overall I actually like it (at least in photos) with a more aggressive stance.

Sedan looks better from the front than the back (still an odd combination of Lincoln LS/last-gen 3-series/Civic) but I'll have to see in person to decide how "Saab" the headlights/grille treatment looks. Again, overall it's not ugly but not totally inspiring.

Seems the design trend is more German than Scandinavian. With Mauer's departure who is the current design chief ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.