SaabCentral Forums banner

Changed my transmission!

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  4saabstoomany 
#1 ·
Well I had had just about enough of the SPG's transmission's bearing noise & shaky gear change, so I replaced it. Should be good now for full power on the next saab meet :cheesy: Check out a few pics! Overall, it went well. It did not take too much time either. Replaced the clutch, engine mounts, brakes (pads and discs), all fluids, driver side axle shaft and bearing, and some other odds and ends while I was at it. It's still not 100% finished, but I expect to be finished with everything tomorrow.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. After swaping my driver side hub bearing (again :evil: ) Everything is working great. The new trans shifts very well and feels GREAT. It's like a totaly different car :eek: Overall it's not that hard of a DYI job, but be prepared for quite a few cuts and scrapes along the way. I'm trying to keep the wheel spin in 1st and 2nd to a minimum this time ;), hopefuly I can get a good bit of mileage out of this transmission. It's soooo nice puting it into 5th and not having that WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sound :cheesy:

#8 ·
Hooked my home made lift to the engine lifting points, one on the front (bolted to the head) one is an old 2.1 AC bracket that I can hook things to. Hooked those with chains to my engine balance then to my chain drive lift. That's the way to lift it, really the only way... Don't worry, it's not going to hurt anything.

#10 ·
removed clutch cause I was changing that too (as I already said), Oil filter housing because the cooler lines were stuck, and the housing is only bolted on with 3 bolts. Why waste 20 min's trying to get those lines off when un-bolting the entire housing takes 2 min? :roll: I also had a new gasket (about $1.00) so there was no reason not to. And, yes I had the proper tools for the cooler lines, even with those there was high risk of me stripping them out with the amount of force I was putting on them. They were not going to come off w/o a major fight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.