SaabCentral Forums banner

1992 9000 CD Mileage

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sleepy3863 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 Saab 9000 CD which I've had since 1999. It has never given me more than about 13MPG (U.S. gallons) in the city, although highway can go over 30 if I leave it on cruise control.

I have thought that this is just what one gets with a heavy car in a city where there's lots of stops and starts, but could there be something I could do to improve it, or is something possibly out of adjustment?

I don't drive aggressively or accellerate fast, and I coast a lot, so I don't think it's my driving. And I keep the tires up to pressure, etc.

Anyone have suggestions or comments?

Thanks

#5 ·
boon94 said:
I drive extremely agressivly in the city and i still manage 23 MPG, i only get 28 on the highway

do CD's have the v6?
my 92 cd has the 2.3 turbo...i usually get in the city about 20mpg, and i drive aggressively ALOT... the people around here always drive under the speed limit, so getting anywhere is a pain unless you are aggressive about it... when was the last time you gave it a full tune-up? changed the plugs, o2 sensor, maybe even the DI cassette? also, does your CEL ever come on? is it lacking power as well, or just the bad mileage?

#8 ·
sleepy3863 said:
the DI cassette is the direct ignition cassette that goes over where your spark plugs are, and the CEL is a Check Engine Light.... how many miles do you have on yours?
The CEL was on recently but went off. The battery had gone dead because someone left the door open while I was away for a few weeks, and then it started leaking and I had to replace it. The CEL was on for a day or so after that, but is now off.

I do find that the car won't start easily if the battery is a little low. I have to try starting it multiple times before it "catches" and turns over.

When this happens, I hear a little sound or nothing at all when turning the key. If I keep trying, it then will eventually catch and start normally.

There are 108,000 miles on this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.