SaabCentral Forums banner

no power

793 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  computek 
#1 ·
i have a 91 9000 n/a and its missing i have no power, and the check engine light comes on. ive replaced the spark pugs and the o2 sensor and there is no change and i checked the compression and its 150 in all 4, any suggestions and is there a way the pull a engine code on this year any idea's

#4 ·
Put the black one on the car but check the gap on the plugs first. Set them to .9mm and then put the black unit on it. See if it runs correctly. Then put the original back on and see if the issue returns. The problem may go away after the plugs are regapped. You may also find out those plugs are shot. If they are anything other than NGK plugs get a new set, exactly the same as the manual says, don't bother with platinums for now.

If you do this in this manner you will either eliminate or find out you need a DI unit.

I hope you do not need one, I just went through this and got mine on Ebay.

Check Gold Wing Saab Salvage, should be around 150+

#6 ·
Use Only The Specified Ngk Plugs

For a 1991 9000 N/A the correct NGK resistor spark plugs are BCPR6ES.

The owner's manual will say to gap them at 1.0mm + or - .01mm, but it's better to slightly undergap them to .9mm to start with.

Do not use anything but these NGK plugs - platinum or other types of plugs can cause a premature death to the DI cassette.

Regap the current plugs (you didn't specify what kind you used) first to .09mm then try the car with the Red DI, if the miss is still there, then replace the plugs with the NGK ones and try again. If it's still there the DI is bad.

You would be safe to test the car with Black DI, since it's N/A. If the miss goes away with it the Red DI is bad.

#7 ·
Jeff is spot on with his assessment. He's been alot of help to me. When you pull the red cassette off check for oil on and around the spark plugs and on the black part of the cassette itself. Also check the black part for cracks. That's a dead giveaway the unit is going bad. That is what I found on mine when it died.

Hope this is helpful.... John

#9 ·
The Bosch platinum plugs are not resistor type spark plugs. :nono;
The NGK plugs are resistor type plugs.:D
The DI cassette was designed to use the NGK resistor type plugs.

This is necessary as in the Saab DI system the spark plug is actually used as a sensor to control certain engine parameters. If the wrong spark plugs are in there, and or the gap is off you can get a miss and that will throw the CEL light on.

#10 ·
Jeff325 said:
The Bosch platinum plugs are not resistor type spark plugs. :nono;
The NGK plugs are resistor type plugs.:D
The DI cassette was designed to use the NGK resistor type plugs.

This is necessary as in the Saab DI system the spark plug is actually used as a sensor to control certain engine parameters. If the wrong spark plugs are in there, and or the gap is off you can get a miss and that will throw the CEL light on.
And I have to add the Bosch Platinums might "Kill the DI cassette":nono;

Jeff helped me get my car on the road again after my DI cassette died. Not to point fingers but the car had Bosch Platinums in it when it croaked (They were in it when I bought it). The Bosch plugs had the electrode eroded down into the ceramic part of the plug (I still have them).

The stock NGK's are cheap, easy (mostly in one day from Autozone) to get and no one has ever proven to me the more expensive plugs work any better. In one of my motorcycles back in the day the NGK's (and ND U grooves) were the only plugs that would last more than a month.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps..... John

#11 ·
i did not no that about the resister thanks for the help, im going to switch out the plugs as soon as i can and see if it takes care of the problem, oh and when i replaced the o2 sensor i wanted to see if it would make a difference so i left the o2 unpluged and started it up and it ran the same just wondering if thats nomal for this car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.