SaabCentral Forums banner

Stereo/Battery change

960 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cinemarr 
#1 ·
Alright -
I bought my car some months ago w/out the service manual and no sound (radio displaying "code"). I took it to a CD player installation place that charged me $46 to make a phone call (I assume to someone @ Saab) and get the code to un-lock the unit. Fast foward to today - battery died last evening so I replaced it this morning, with the expected result of my radio unit wanting it's code.:(
My question is, if I just took the whole unit out and installed an aftermarket CD player would it still need the code? Can you bypass the need for it by simply installing another unit?

Many Thanks - Erik -

#2 ·
Replace the radio and it won't need the code.

But it might have the code written on top of it, or call/visit a Saab dealer and ask them for the code. Typically should be free...

#3 ·
call the place that got the code in the first place as they should've given you the code when they put it in but they seem to be dishonest. all they did was call saab and give them your liscence plate and saab gave them the code. so why don't you do the same and you won't have to buy another stereo.

#4 ·
Yes, it does seem to have been a very shady move by the place I took it too if it was this simple. One other question: is it one code or two they type in? Seems to me there was a 4 digit code first, followed by another code the guy typed in. I know he had to try this pattern four times before the unit finally unlocked. AS far as simply calling or returning to the original place.....it has since shut down (I wonder why?) :roll:
I actually already have an aftermarket CD unit to install i just never did since the original unit was working and I never had a need to change or fiddle w/ it.

_ Erik-

#5 ·
mine if I remember correctly is a 6 digit code, you type it once and stereo works. I called one of the saab dealers here in Sydney and they said to me who at that point was none the wiser that they had to use special tools to take it apart and they were going to charge $250 so I called another Saab dealer, they asked for my liscence plate and gave me the code.

Saab dealers here can be so dodgy. I am going to install a new stereo soon cause I think these speakers have had it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.