SaabCentral Forums banner

Question on wipers

799 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Diggs 
#1 ·
Just picked up my first Saab and I love it! Still learning all the differences to this car - I'm a convert from American muscle cars. Funny thing is, the original plan was to purchase this 2003 for a winter car, and a year later pick up a new Corvette. Now I am leaning towards getting a new Saab! Go figure...

Anyways, I have a question on the wipers: when I turn my wipers off, they immediately stop. I would think they would return to the bottom of the windshield, however they don't from any setting. Is this supposed to happen?

I am leaning towards this being a problem as I also seem unable to have the wipers work in delay mode; I am only able to push the lever down to manually wipe, or put them in slow or fast mode.

#2 ·
Yes they should go back down. You may have control stalk problem
(Easy DIY and inexpensive) or a CIM issue, (not easy and Pricey). As far as Intermittent, try this, go up two steps with the stalk then back down one. I know that's not the way it's supposed to work, but for some reason every now and then I find I have to do it. Lastly, It could also be a problem withe the Rain sensor.

#3 ·
Yes they should go back down. You may have control stalk problem
(Easy DIY and inexpensive) or a CIM issue, (not easy and Pricey). As far as Intermittent, try this, go up two steps with the stalk then back down one. I know that's not the way it's supposed to work, but for some reason every now and then I find I have to do it. Lastly, It could also be a problem withe the Rain sensor.
No rain sensor in 2003 Linear.

#4 · (Edited)
I had same symptoms as Havoc, plus no wiper washer/squirter. I researched here and found that, strangely enough, the problem is the wiper motor and the solution is to replace it (about $250+labour). It seems like a relatively common problem.

I took the car to the dealer and they confirmed what I'd read here (not that it was common but that I had to replace motor). I tried to get GM to pay, but instead they just gave me 2 oil changes.

Hopefully, your issue is 'just' the control stalk.

#7 ·
honestly if the problem doesn't get worse, i.e. wipers stop on their own etc etc..i think you will benefit from it more come winter than not having it. i had an old isuzu trooper that did the same thing. the benefit was that in the winter you can stop the wipers in the area of the windshield that gets directly hit by the defrosters. still out of line of site, but not "tucked" all the way down below where they can get some residual heat..this will obviously mean the wipers will not ice up!! so like i said it may be a good thing in a car that is already a great runner in bad weather. yours may be even better!!!:D JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.