SaabCentral Forums banner

BMW Provides Saab Four-Cylinder Engines in 2012

10K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Saaber95er 
#1 ·
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! What Next?

Sharing Is Caring: BMW Provides Saab Four-Cylinder Engines in 2012

Spyker Cars suggested such a deal was in the works earlier this week, but now it’s official: Saab will source small four-cylinder engines from BMW beginning in 2012.

Although such a liaison was long rumored, both automakers confirmed the new contract in separate press statements released earlier this morning. Neither automaker would, however, comment on the financial or volume details.
“It gives me great pleasure to confirm this exciting new relationship,” said Saab CEO Jan Ake Jonsson in a prepared statement. “BMW Group’s engines and fuel saving innovations are widely regarded as a benchmark in the premium segment. We look forward to integrating this technology into our next-generation vehicles in a true Saab way.”
The precise output and specifications of the BMW-built engine is unknown, but Saab notes the engine will be a turbocharged 1.6-liter I-4, likely a variation of the turbocharged 1.6-liter I-4 currently offered in the 2011 Mini Cooper S. BMW notes the engine will also be bundled with a start/stop system, but it’s still unknown if such a system will make its way stateside.
Saab’s release sidesteps the matter altogether, but BMW’s press release notes the engine is destined for a “new Saab model series.” Given the displacement of the engine, this seems like a virtual confirmation that the 1.6-liter will be installed in the forthcoming Saab 92, which is rumored to be a Mini-sized premium compact car.
At this stage, BMW is only sharing one engine with the Swedes, although we wouldn’t be too surprised to see it eventually provide other components — or perhaps even vehicle platforms — in the future. An earlier report suggested the two firms were looking at such possibilities, and Victor Muller, chairman of Spyker Cars (and, subsequently, Saab Automobiles), says “both partners are open to exploring further opportunities as part of this relationship in the future.
Source: Saab, BMW

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/sharing-is...#ixzz1lbtdheBq

See less See more
#8 ·
What's stopping them from keeping options open. If the company completely dies that would be on gm, Do they care? I don't think so I guess they figure Saab owners will start driving malibu's. I would never buy a gm product again if I couldn't drive a Saab I would buy a Ford :lol:

Oh, by the way the moon isn't so bad 1) I drive the only Saab 2) There's a Saab parts shop right around the corner next to the Saab Indy (something about needing a place to store parts when SAAB went bankrupt) and 3) no speel limit. :lol::lol::lol:

#13 ·
I get it, the official New York Giants Super Bowl Championship dance,;ol;;ol; looks like the salsa to me.

Maybe I missed the story; that Saab totally gave up trying to save whats left.

I'm confused, are we being trolled or is he just that far behind in Saab "news"?
If I was smoking; probably would be allot better than what you've been drinking; consequences are the same if not worse.
Enjoy whatever it is you've been smoking, but please be aware of the potential long term consequences.
If you thought this was april; don't smoke or drink.
You got me for a second, I thought this was an April's fools joke :)

#14 ·
Bankruptcy comes in several flavors; the two most common are reorganization and liquidation. Reorganization means restructuring your debt in a way that lets you survive and carry on while liquidation means selling everything--right down the paintings on the walls--to repay as much as possible to your creditors and then going away.

Saab is in liquidation. When it's over, there's a slight chance there may still be a company which makes cars and bears the name Saab--but it will not be Saab as we know it, and all agreements made previously by Saab/Spyker will be null and void.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.