SaabCentral Forums banner

Ipod Car Kit For 2007 Audio

24K views 122 replies 32 participants last post by  Jeromeh 
#1 ·
Just found this http://www.dension4u.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=237&products_id=2246&language=en&osPsid=78c8cc47020b3a2a4a3ad660445141fb

iPod CarKit for Saab/ Cadillac MJ2008 iPAC GM3H

The iPAC-GM3 interface is used specifically for the 2006-2007 GM LAN 29-bit Databus vehicles. The iPAC-GM3 has three modes of operation; Advanced, Manual, and Auxiliary Input. With a press of a button, you can switch between iPod, auxiliary and XM (if equipped) Advanced mode allows full control over the iPod's extensive menu with the factory radio or steering wheel controls (if equipped) while the iPods text is displayed on the factory radio. Manual mode allows you to control the iPod from the iPods click wheel controls. Both modes provide charging to the iPod while connected to the iPAC-GM3.

The iPod-connection is affected by a dock cable (in scope of delivery). The adapter is compatible to all iPod of the 3. / 4. and 5. Generation, photo and video, mini, nano I and nano II.

ID3 Tag information

iPod playlist selection on the radio

iPod menu in the radio

Now for a bit more research before I'm sure I've found the answer for complete integration of Ipod into the new audio system.​
Just thought I'd share.
Steve

See less See more
#3 ·
It appears that the link I posted is the only link to it on the web, well using Google to search "IPAC GM3H" anyway, but it does sound promising, think I may have to get one and try it, but then that means I will have to buy an Ipod as well. Oh well, the price of quality music:D

#4 ·
Cool! A little overpriced, but they do have the corner on the market. I bought a very similar kit for my Volvo (different company, but looks almost the same) and it was $110US. This thing will run me $294US at the current exchange rate.

#5 ·
Nickshu said:
Cool! A little overpriced, but they do have the corner on the market. I bought a very similar kit for my Volvo (different company, but looks almost the same) and it was $110US. This thing will run me $294US at the current exchange rate.
Did you take the following into account when calculating that price? British VAT is currently 17.5%, so there's a bit off if you didn't.
All prices are inclusive sales tax plus individual shipping and handling fees of the freight forwarder.
All prices include the current VAT - all orders from outside the European Union will be reduced by the VAT automatically during the ordering process!

#6 ·
Adjusted for 17.5% VAT reduction, then in USD it's $242. Still very pricey, but better. Still costs more than my Ipod itself did!!! :roll:

#8 ·
#10 ·
Right, here goes, I'll try to summarise what I've found out so far.

The piece of kit that I posted in post 1, is manufactured by a company called PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation). The link I posted is the only link I have been able to find that says this will work with the 2007 Saab.
PAC's own website do not list compatability with Saab, but they do not say it is not compatible either.
From PAC website
Part Number: IPAC-GM3 </SPAN>
The iPAC-GM3 interface is used specifically for the 2006-2007 GM LAN 29-bit Databus vehicles. Designed for Video, Generation 3, 4, Mini, and Nano iPods. With a press of a button, you can switch between iPod, auxiliary and XM (if equipped). The iPAC-GM3 works with vehicles that have navigation-equipped radios, non-navigation radios, and vehicles equipped with XM satellite radio and CD changers.• Three Modes of Operation (Advanced, Manual, Auxiliary input)
• Full control of iPod through factory radio buttons:
• Allows browsing by: Playlist, Artist, Genre, and Album
• Displays iPod text on the factory radio's display
• Control the iPod directly through iPod’s click wheel controls
• 1 Auxiliary Input allows an external audio device to be connected to your factory stereo
• Works with XM Satellite radio (if equipped)
• 10 ft iPod cable included
• Optional 17 ft iPod cable (GM3POD17)

Required Connection Harness Sold Separately
GM3H: Vehicles without XM radio (connection made behind the original radio)
GM3XM: Vehicles with XM radio (connection made at the factroy XM tuner) Compatible Vehicles: Chevrolet: Tahoe 2007, Suburban 2007, Avalanche 2007, Impala 2006-2007, Monte Carlo 2006-2007 Silverado (non-classic) 2007 GMC: Yukon 2007, Yukon Denali 2007, Sierra (non-classic) 2007 Cadillac: Escalade (including ESV and EXT) 2007 Buick: Lucerne 2006-2007Latest Revision: 5v40Instructions: ipac-gm3_
Sorry will finish this later, work calls, but I'm guessing that 100$ will cover the unit, then the cable will be extra, but $100+ for the cable seems a bit steep still.

Steve

#11 ·
Right I'm back now, 'til something else breaks down anyway.

The Pac website installation guide says that the head unit must have a "CAT" buuton for the system to work, I believe this buttom is for the US market satellite radio so you can choose which category/genre you listen to.
The UK (and Euro) radios have a "PTY" button in this location, but the link I posted shows it working on a radio with the "PTY" button, though it doesn't say which car this is in.

Basically, I have no confirmation that this will definitely work in the Saab, but I am seriously tempted to get one anyway, (and an IPOD) just so that I can test it, and hopefully have a fully integrated control system.

If I do decide to, I will post up my findings.
Steve.

#13 ·
Jesse IL said:
We have the "pity" button as well. Seriously, what does PTY stand for?
Can't remember what PTY stands for, but this button allows us to choose which genre of stqation for the RDS radio to sure for, if I remember correctly, though not entirely sure as I rarely listen to the radio and when I do, I don't search for stations in this way.

#14 ·
My 2007 USA-version radio has the PTY button and does NOT have a CAT button. So according to the post above, this PAC kit will not work with it then??

I don't recall what PTY is for, but I seem to remember that my owner's manual says that it is non-functional in the US market. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's what I read.

I think an email to PAC is in order. :p

#15 ·
This sounds like the same peice of kit under a different name, I think someone else brought this up in a previous post and GM had no plans to release for the Saab

Chevy HHR News

Detroit, MI, 08/03/2006 - General Motors announces iPod integration

Because great cars and great tunes should travel together, General Motors has developed an affordable, all-new iPod adaptor; allowing music lovers to use their iPod with the factory-installed audio system in GM vehicles, beginning this fall.

The device, called "Personal Audio Link," will sell at GM dealerships for less than $160 at MSRP, plus installation. It will be introduced in October on 2006 and 2007 model year Chevrolet HHRs, already one of the industry's most personalized vehicles, with more GM vehicles scheduled to be added by the end of this year. Designed specifically for the iPod, GM expects to make the device available on all of its 56 vehicle models - mostly by the end of 2007 - meaning GM will offer the widest range of vehicle applications for iPod integration in the industry.

"We understand that people want to use their iPod whenever and wherever they want," said Mike Jackson, GM North America vice president, Marketing & Advertising. "We're thrilled to offer an awesome, seamless digital music experience to our customers across our entire portfolio of great cars and trucks."

Vehicle personalization is embedded in today's vehicle purchase and ownership experience. Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories, believes that iPod and GM vehicle personalization are a perfect fit.

"With our simple, affordable system, our customers can plug their iPod into their vehicle audio system and get what they want - clear, quality sound as well as access to playlists and artists' names," said Philippart. "Because the Personal Audio Link was designed specifically for GM vehicles, the level of integration our system offers is unmatched in the market."

The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, about the size of a deck of cards and not visible to the customer once installed, uses existing radio software, and is integrated through the radio's digital XM Satellite Radio band. (XM does not need to be activated for the system to work.) This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units.

The system displays song artist, title and genre on the radio display, and allows song selection by genre, playlist, artist and album. In addition, Podcasts and audio books are no problem. Personal Audio Link enables the user to store, sort and select their favorite Podcast or audio book by title. In vehicles equipped with steering wheel audio controls, those controls will also control volume.

Once the device is installed, the customer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glove box, where the player can be safely secured and stowed. The device also charges the iPod while the vehicle is operating.

"We know our music-loving customers have been clamoring for a system like this, but we were determined not to go into the market with one unless it was truly integrated, easy to use and affordable," said Philippart. "I think this system will be music to our customers' ears."

Personal Audio Link Key Features - At a Glance

• Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle's factory installed audio system
  • Charges iPod when ignition is on
  • Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays
  • Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist
  • Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds
  • Select "shuffle" function to mix music
  • Sort music using "alphabetical jump" from A-Z list
  • Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title
  • Control volume from steering wheel controls
  • Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)
  • Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology
# #

#16 ·
This is from a 2006 Pontiac Solstice:

It has the CAT button so I can think of 2 possibilities for the CAT/PTY variation.
1. Dependant on XM installation : CAT with XM, PTY without
or
2. Dependant on manufacturer : PTY on Saab, CAT on other GM makes.
Don't know, just guessing.
I have emailed the company in my first post to see if they can confirm it works in a Saab, so hopefully I will here back within a few days or so.
Steve.

#17 ·
stevedol said:
Can't remember what PTY stands for, but this button allows us to choose which genre of stqation for the RDS radio to sure for, if I remember correctly, though not entirely sure as I rarely listen to the radio and when I do, I don't search for stations in this way.
It stands for Programme Type. It's a coding of up to 31 pre-defined programme types – e.g. PTY1 News, PTY6 Drama, PTY11 Rock music, – allows users to find similar programming by genre. PTY31 seems to be reserved for emergency announcements in the event of natural disasters or other major calamities.

I believe it's only utilised in Europe/UK.

#18 ·
stevedol said:
This is from a 2006 Pontiac Solstice:

It has the CAT button so I can think of 2 possibilities for the CAT/PTY variation.
1. Dependant on XM installation : CAT with XM, PTY without
or
2. Dependant on manufacturer : PTY on Saab, CAT on other GM makes.
Don't know, just guessing.
I have emailed the company in my first post to see if they can confirm it works in a Saab, so hopefully I will here back within a few days or so.
Steve.
Not the case. My car has integrated XM, but still has the PTY button.

I'm interested to hear what they say. Let us know! Thanks!! :cool:

#20 ·
BladeCX2 said:
So will this work with a 2006 with no NAV or XM?
Possibly, but only if it's a late 2006 which has the facelifted interior and new GM audio system (as pictured above), if it's the 2003-2006 interior with the Clarion/Pioneer audio system with fibre optics, then no it won't

#21 ·
JBob said:
It stands for Programme Type. It's a coding of up to 31 pre-defined programme types – e.g. PTY1 News, PTY6 Drama, PTY11 Rock music, – allows users to find similar programming by genre. PTY31 seems to be reserved for emergency announcements in the event of natural disasters or other major calamities.

I believe it's only utilised in Europe/UK.
Cheers, knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember the specifics.

#22 ·
Well, just recieved a response from maxxcount.de (the company selling this adapter). Here it is :

Hello,

thank you for your E-Mail and the interest in our products and services.

If you have the following vehicle "2007 Saab 9-3" with the "Saab Infotainment 70" Is the adapter compatible.

Für weitere Fragen stehe ich gern zur Verfuegung!

If you have any further question please contact me!

mit freundlichen Gruessen,

kind regards,

René Richter

I would say that this sort of confirms it will work, I think the German/English translation is slightly out, I'm assuming it should read "If you have the following vehicle "2007 Saab 9-3" with the "Saab Infotainment 70" the adapter is compatible."
I think I am going to order one soon and test it out, will let you know how it goes.
Steve.

#23 ·
So this means the 199Euro model will work, what about the $100US model on Amazon.com? Maybe we can get this Infotainment adapter cable from Germany, then adapt to the PAC unit from Amazon.com.

#24 ·
Nickshu said:
So this means the 199Euro model will work, what about the $100US model on Amazon.com? Maybe we can get this Infotainment adapter cable from Germany, then adapt to the PAC unit from Amazon.com.
I'm assuming it's the same unit and cables, just that the German price is "all inclusive" and the American one is just for the unit, then you buy whichever cable you need seperately. Will let you all know what arrives when I order one.
Steve.

#26 ·
TXTurbo said:
So how about this curveball....any way to get this thing to work for a creative labs mp3 player or is it iPod or nothing? I understand the adapter that plugs into the player itself might be different, but I can probably rig up something.
I believe that this unit provides direct Ipod control and also a seperate auxillary input, which you could connect to another mp3 player, but you will then have limited controlability from the stereo, probably only volume, you will need to use the mp3 players controls to control track selection.
Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.