SaabCentral Forums banner

Reincarnation, a real Saabstory

10K views 80 replies 24 participants last post by  greenydsm 
#1 ·
A Griffen is on the badge of a 9-3ss, But on my new project, It might as well be a Phoenix..

A couple months ago I was very happy with my beautiful black 05 9-3ss Arc. It had a Fmic, Custom hardpiping, Obx DP and a custom exhaust, All the fab work was done by myself and I was a waiting on the Vtuner to be released.
All was great untill...The accident.

The car was hit on the back-left corner as I was stopped making a left turn. My dreams were crushed as it was pulled onto the back of a flatbed tow truck.

Hoping for the best, I called the insurance company daily to find out the fate of my arc. About a week after the accident, I recieved a call saying it was a total loss. I was heart broken. I knew that instant that I wanted to buy the car back, cause I could never see it being taken apart by anyone else but myself.

The car was parted out over weekends until I could really dig into it when summer hit. I know a lot of my parts are scatterd through out this forum and I made alot of people happy with the parts I had available, because we all know how hard/expensive it is to find simple parts. The parts sold very well in the beginning, and it was steady over the summer, dwinglying down into the beginning of the fall.

Fast forward to about a month ago.

I recieved a call from a good friend asking if I still had the motor from my arc. I replied with a, what do you need it for? He claimed how he found a vector that had engine issues and he was going to buy it. I freaked out, I was looking for something along the lines of that all summer to take parts from my arc, and make a solid car out of. After enough of my *****ing, he finally gave me the contact info for the seller.

One quick call had me in the buyers seat for an 03 vector. That friday, went to the bank, hooked the trailer up and drove around an hour to the location. The car wouldnt start, (Even with a jump pack, then attached to cables). But I really did not care because for the price, I knew I couldnt go wrong.

Loaded it up, transfered titles, away I went.

First thing first was a battery,and fluids It was an orginal Saab battery from 03!! I had it tested to a mear .02 CCA! New battery and fluids,Fired right up!!.

When it turned over my smile went ear to ear, but as the idle began to drop, a knocking noise became noticeable. I let it warm up, gave a few rev's to begin to notice a knocking noise that was rpm dependent. Rod knock, spun bearing, bent rod, blown piston, bent valve, Something along the lines of that. Regardless, I took it around my block, got through all the gears, btw its a 6spd;). Brakes work, Suspension is tight and all electronics work.

I knew it was internal. I still have the motor from my arc, so after some throught, Instead of repairing a motor with 120k on it, Why not replace it with a motor that only has 77k?. So I began marking and removing wires and disconnecting everything that was holding the engine together. Got the engine crane in place, popped the motor right out!

While its out, it will be getting a clutch and flywheel assembly. I would like to do more, but its not in the cards at the moment. (besides cleaning the hell out of the engine bay!)

And that is where the car is currently. The engines are next to each other, and I will begin to swap things over this weekend.

I will be updating this thread with lots of pictures because an engine swap isnt the only thing that will be happening with this vector ;)

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Dude- that's awesome! Welcome back to the living world of the 9-3SS! You should make a real monster....bigger turbo anybody?? ;)

#9 ·
What clutch are you thinking? You should call up abbot and see what they can do, or do the euro spec solid flywheel from the diesel with an uprated cobalt clutch (or is that only for the 5spd...).

#10 ·
Well the only available unit that i've found has been a spec. I've talked to Jzw and he gave me a price with a lightweight flywheel and clutch assembly . He said I should go with the stage 2 because of the issues known with stage 3. I personally don't like spec, but as of now its my only option.

That being said, I have contacted other companys, and this weekend when I seperate the engine/trans I will be making measurements and taking pictures then sending them to the companys i've contacted.

I don't know the differences between the 6spd and the 5spd clutch, yet. But after this weekend I will. And I'll take pictures to show it.

#12 ·
Talk to 1sweet2.0 and BadBrains - both are/did heavy research on this stuff recently. 1sweet2.0 just got a kit form abbott with a new DMF flywheel and 3 plate clutch kit for around 1400 (I believe) which is a bit more than a spec but most likely less prone to issues.

For the record, I bought my stg 2 from clutch flywheel for a really good price...I'd check them out just in case (not trying to snipe any business from John or anything, but maybe he'll price match ;))

#18 ·
thats awesome, im glad you didnt give up hope, i thought for so long about parting out my saab and getting a TT or something german/euro. but i couldnt pull myself to do it, instead i have to put a new motor in it, but my bottom end is most likely salvagable.. which means i now have a block to build a bottom end on :p

good luck dude, 16t swap that thing soon!

#21 ·
sex.;ol;

#35 ·
The stage 3 makes this car so much fun to drive. I've been stage 3 for almost 4k miles and doing 3rd and 4th gear pulls still brings the biggest smile to my face. I want more power!

#38 ·

I'm beginning to get a list of things to do

wrapping my headliner, rear shelf, and pillars black.
Buying a wideband o2
Getting jzw's ppc
60lb injectors
16 or 19T
Wheels (unsure)

I hope to have them all done by mid july

#49 ·
dude.....that looks sick, I'm reallly jealous of the gap (or lack there of) with those wheels, not to mention the camber is a little ridiculous in the back (I like the look but those new tires might not last long)

#52 ·
not true, actually toe will cause the uneven wear because it causes the inside to burn out quicker and it will cause feathering. ive had my tires on my car for 6 months slammed and there is no uneven wear its even as can be and my rear camber is at -2.3 degrees. yes it does cause a slight bit but not what you would think.

#53 ·
Interesting, yeah I would think that toe would have a bigger effect, but I would also think that too much negative camber would cause excessive wear too, glad to know it isn't nearly as deterimental.

Now, has anybody fooled around on these cars with different camber and toe settings to find an ideal?

#54 ·
6 months of wear, note that its not flat because the tire is not streched to a rim, but you can clearly see that it is relativity even from side to side.

as for messing with camber settings, the guys at ptuning told me that usually the stock range is the best for handling, and tire wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.