SaabCentral Forums banner

Stereo Questions

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  project13 
#1 · (Edited)
Stereo Questions from a Newbie

I have a 2000 Saab 9-3 SE 5-door, I'm almost positive it's fully loaded (I bought it used) and I was wondering what kind of speakers/system is has.

I want to replace at least the door speakers, then maybe the top of the trunk ones too but I don't know what to replace them with. I still have the stock head unit (I don't want to replace it because of cosmetic reasons) so I need something that will not only fit in the space of the doors and be able to have the speaker cap things put back on, but I also want to make sure they aren't too powerful that they will mess up my system due to wattage or whatever.

The speakers are slightly blown out, make lots of noise, etc. I'm not looking to spend a lot, just something refreshing. So I guess let me know what power, frequency, and size I should get.

Also, is it hard to replace the door and trunk speakers? Are the guys at Circuit City or Best Buy going to ruin the panels? Do those caps just pop off?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
stereo q's

If your car is fully loaded as you say it probably has the upgraded stereo package, and on those cars the front door speakers are specifically low frequency speakers (mini-subwoofers) i think they are 6 or 6.5 inches. This would mean that the amplifier tells them to only play the low stuff, and upgrading to different speakers would simply mean less sound quality as they would be made for full range, and only be playing low range.

I could be completley wrong in that the amp controls the frequency, it could be a crossover on the speaker (someone please correct me Im not sure at all). All I know is unless youre planning on re-doing everything (head unit, speaker amp, speakers) its probably not worth your time.

The rear speakers woudl be easier, simply go into the back, under the speaker, cut a hole in that fabric, see what size they are and replace. Those are either full range coaxials or components, full range, and are much easier to replace. Id say make the speaker visible, go to circuit city and ask what they have to fit your car, then go online, and find it for a better price and put it in yourself, just splice the wires, and make sure whatever you take off can go back on.

Car audio is fun! do it yourself!

Ill try to find out more for you, this is a very vague email sorry if it just confused you, just dont replace the door speakers.

Good luck

Joel

#4 · (Edited)
go ahead and replace the door, speakers, they're typically called "component" speakers. You may be able to get some Harman Kardons or some randoms, Pioneer Premier are nice, as well as higher Infinity models. Infinity is a Harman company anyways. Usually component speakers will come with a crossover but you may not need it if the headunit has this built in. Check your rear "6X9" speakers to see if they say Harman/Kardon. If so then you have the upgraded sound system, which sounds pretty nice anyways.

#5 ·
Well as far as which ones I want to replace, I really want to do the front door ones. They are the ones that are giving me the trouble, not the trunk ones. So Any advice on the door ones specifically would be best. I have noticed that a lot of the bass is goin to the doors and not so much to the trunk speakers... help! I don't know what to do!

And replacing anything myself is not an option, I have NO idea what I'm doing when it comes to that, and I don't want to ruin any of the casing or make it look trashy.

#6 ·
re: stereo

Look for JL Audio 6/6.5 subwoofers, find a JL dealer and ask them if those speakers will work on your system. The door speakers are solely low frequency speakers. Dont buy new component speakers, becasue those will also come with a tweeter which is seperate from the bass speaker (components are made so that you can seperate those two, as to customize which direction the high frequencies are coming form-such as the a pilar or on the dash like in saabs- becasue high frequencies are directional meaning it matters where they are placed, but you cant tell where the bass comes from, so they go in the door out of the way) Any way, unless you could install the tweeter from the components on your dashboard, dont buy components.

If I had to guess the speakers on the dash were 3 inch, thats were all the treble comes from.

My only suggestion is go to circuit city, and sit them in your car and play a song and have them find something for you. JL Audio subs are the best, and as long as they dont need mroe power than your amp can supply, try to get some of those intalled.

While youre at it get the 6x9's in the back replaced.

Again, there are so many possibilities as saab audio systems are so complicated. The best thing for you to do (since you cant do it yourself is go to the place youd want them insalled, and have them tell you what they can do, then run it by us on the forum.;)

_good luck, again sorry if this is confusing

Joel

#7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know know what I do, thanks!

#8 · (Edited)
Btw, does anyone know if the front door speaker covers pop off? They seem like they would, does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this?

#9 ·
stereo help

Hey,

Even if your door speaker grills popped off it is likely that you will need to take the entire door off the unscrew your speakers, Id be very suprised if the speakers came out without taking the door off. At that, id be suprised if the grills came off without first taking off the whole door panel, those are usually popped in from the backside. I have done this on multiple cars. Saabs are so darn complicated, you got yourself into a mess when you caught the audio bug. haha;) .

Take it to a professional and see what they can do, but make sure they realize how your system works first.

Good luck
-Joel

#13 ·
project13 said:
Two questions, in my 99 9-3 does that model have a radio code? I want to replace my stereo, but will want to revert back to stock when ever I sell the car...

And does anyone know the easiest way of replacing the dash speakers?
No, the 9-3 doesn't have radio codes. The stereo is 'married' to the car. So to my knowledge you can take it out and then put it back in at a later date with no problems. Provided its the same stereo in the same car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.