SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab brake problems

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Conasha 
#1 ·
Hi I have saab 9-3 se and I had a problem with the brakes. The brakes start holding the wheels so hard after 10-15 miles drive. Before that everything is fine. I bleed the brakes and after 5-6 miles same thing. I could drive it. The car was so hot and the brake rotors were blue. It almost start smoking. We bleed the brakes again and the wheel were turning fine. Than again. Please anybody with the same problem. The heat damage my alternator the day before. I stop driving the car. Thank you very much. :confused:

#3 ·
Is it possible vacuum pump or break booster?

Check your flexible brake lines. I bet they have deteriorated inside so they're swollen, and they don't let the pressure off the calipers after you've applied the brakes. Plenty of reading and some personal experience on this one....

Last week I start feeling that the car wasn`t running good, because the break were appling without any reason. Like I said now the car is almost unmovable, because the calipers are so tide. Today we bleed the brake twice and the car start moving fine for 15 minutes and then again. Don`t you think it`s a vacuum pump or brake booster. Thank you very much for your time. I am so disappointed from my car. So many problems for 2 months.

#4 ·
Vacuum/brake booster would mean that you won't have power brake assist. I don't think that's your problem.

As busaboy mentioned, check the rubber hoses running from the caliper to the brake lines. If these are in poor condition they can collapse/expand causing all sorts of brake issues.

#7 ·
I open the break booster and was full with oil.probably that's the problem
Dude, did you check the rubber brake lines at all like others have been saying??? Do that.

I'm not sure what the brake booster is supposed to be like, but even if that is the problem, still check those lines. I know I should replace mine sometime (hopefully with some nice stainless lines)

#10 ·
Like other have said check your brake lines first as thats the cheapest and easiest to check... Is it only the front? Or rear? Or which rotors are binding up as u say?

#12 · (Edited)
This is one of the two most common SAAB 9-3 and SAAB 9-5 (2000-2004) issues.

The #1 issue is "Engine Sludge". These above listed cars years are noted for the possibility of your engine locking up due to severe sludge. This is linked to a design flaw. The catalytic converter is located right below the engine. If this fails it heats the converter up to an intense level, thus causing oil to boil and sludge. Over time the sludge builds up, blocking the oil screen and causes critical engine parts to lock-up or fail. To avoid this, users should use synthetic oil and do routine oil changes every 3000-5000 miles.
Replace your oil filter every time. You may even add a engine additive suck as Marvel Mystery to maintain a clean engine.

The #2 issue is brakes applying by themselves. This issue 90% of the time is linked to the vacuum booster assist pump, booster line, and the booster itself. When the pumps fails it allows oil to slowly leak into the booster lines. The check valve fails due to oil corrosion and oil is leaked into the booster. Over time the booster builds up a supply of oil. The inside of the booster gets ate up by the oil and the booster fails. To fix the issue, simply replace the booster vacuum, the booster 3 way line, and the booster itself. In some rare cases, you may also have to replace the master cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.