SaabCentral Forums banner

New England SAAB run - May 19, 2012

13K views 118 replies 22 participants last post by  foreversaab 
#1 ·
Trying to generate some interest here. There are a lot of people in New England anxious for all sorts of different get togethers, so hopefully we can all combine forces and get a great cruise in! It's been a long time since I've been on a cruise, so I'm really hoping to get this off the ground.

When - Saturday May 19th, 2012 9-ish AM

Where - Exit 23 off of I-93 in NH, smack dab in the middle of the state

Who - I won't exclude anyone, but would really love to see as many SAABs as possible. Don't have one? I'm sure we can set people up with rides in a SAAB!

The route I had started planning years ago just while out for a drive. It's evolved over the years and has some really nice windy roads, lots of lake views, and a few very scenic spots. Total mileage is almost exactly 100 miles. I plan to do 50 miles in the morning, then have an hour or so for lunch at a nice scenic area. Then in the afternoon we'll do the other 50, with plans for 2 stops (15-30 minutes) for photos, 1 of which could be extended for popping hoods and showing off.

Hopefully the responses pour in and we can all look forward to a great day of SAABing. I think this can be a great alternative for those of us that don't have the time and/or $ for a trip to Carlisle and a great way to kick off a summer of SAAB action!

Hopefully this link to the route works:http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...qrg&oq=us+post&t=h&dirflg=h&mra=ls&via=8&z=11

See less See more
#70 ·
NE summer cruises/meets

I was going to be travelling all of June and that made July look busy but seems my plans have changed. I may have time to organize another Six Gaps Vermont Cruise or perhaps a cruise/meet a bit to the south of there this summer. That cruise is a bit of a haul for the Ct/ RI folks. I'll be at Swedish Car Day with a couple of car but agree it would be nice to do something before then.

I'd be very surprised if we don't do our annual Saabs on the Summit trio Mt. Washington in October - but that's Luke's baby.

#71 ·
sounds like a lot of renewed interest here. I could always set up another run sometime with the same route, since only 5 people got to do the whole thing :) And the ones that did it really seemed to enjoy it.

I would be excited about six gaps too, bummed I missed it last year, but I know what you mean about being hard to get CT and RI folks, but that's the nature of the beast, because who the hell wants to go down there for a drive? Not this guy

#73 ·
>>who the hell wants to go down there for a drive? Not this guy<<

Not in the summer (too much traffic) but we have had a few fantastic off season cruises thru the Ct countryside and another CT/RI coastal cruise that included same great views, roads, and stops. Plus we usually get 15-20 cars (Ok, so we sometimes invite a few Volvo guys) so tht adds to the fun.

Looks like my June travels are back on so I've got nothing in the works until late July.

#78 ·
I'll take a look at the calendar and see how things look. As we get deeper into summer lots of people get swamped with "weekend activities". Fortunately almost all of the route is off the beaten path, so won't be affected much by summer tourist traffic.

I'll toss out a couple of dates hopefully later today.

#80 ·
That is my car indeed! I just picked it up from the guy in Nashua back in mid April. Steve is going over a few things from the front brakes, diagnosing a low boost issue, swapping in some SPG springs and slapping on some new tires. It's going to be a like a whole new car when I get it back... and I had been having a blast in it all along, I'm pretty excited.

And oh yeah, Steve is the man!

#107 ·
That is my car indeed! I just picked it up from the guy in Nashua back in mid April. Steve is going over a few things from the front brakes, diagnosing a low boost issue, swapping in some SPG springs and slapping on some new tires. It's going to be a like a whole new car when I get it back... and I had been having a blast in it all along, I'm pretty excited.

And oh yeah, Steve is the man!
Hey - I'm from Rochester, NH and looking for a good SAAB Mechanic around here. Where is the master in North Berwick ?

Old Sarge

#81 ·
Nice, I almost bought that car 2 years ago thing was wicked clean but I didn't buy it because of the lack of boost, the drivers side window didn't work, and there was like weird light blue pin striping on the hood and fenders that I see is no longer there. Always kicked myself for that because it had like 89k on it when I looked at it and the AC worked. Looks good though, will be awesome with the SPG springs.

#82 ·
Ha, that's too funny! Yeah it's got some issues going on boost-wise, mostly rotting wiring harness related, but it also had some very shot vacuum hoses as well. Steve will diagnose it and at least let me know what I can do to fix it, if not just fix it himself. I checked the turbo and it did have some play, but nothing crazy, and I'm almost certain I can actually HEAR a vac leak somewhere in the engine bay.

The car is VERY clean still, with only a couple of spots that need repair. The floorboard on the driver's side is soft, and a rusty fuel door and just a ding or two. The pin striping was first to go, haha. Some time with rubbing compound and some wax and it actually came off fairly easily.

I paid $500 for it with a head gasket that just went the day is was listed/I came and bought it :D

#90 ·
Let's set 7.15.12 as the date. Maybe someone can coordinate the list of those interested. Also need someone to plan the route. I am new at this and would appreciate somone's help.
Thanks
I don't see any reason I couldn't do the 15th...

And we could very easily use my route again if people are willing to come up to the middle of NH for the day. The 6 or 7 that came up last time really enjoyed the route. It's got lots of variety and scenery with great twists and very little traffic to deal with.

#94 ·
Just looking to confirm some more interest for the 15th so I can move ahead with making final plans for this, unless someone else has a route ready and wants to take the reigns...

#96 ·
Sadly I cant make the 15th. Hope you have a great cruise.

FYI - Since its in the same broad geographic area and target audience - please note the change of venue for the "Greater Boston Metro Saab Meet on June 24th. I'm now hosting the meet & cruise and it's little closer to the folks in NH & Vt. who might not have had time to go to Attleboro, Ma. Consider this an invitation. See the related message thread in this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.