SaabCentral Forums banner

Performance-oriented softraod SUVs...

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Lodro 
#1 ·
Yea, I am actually thinking of getting a performance oriented SUV. Feel free to call me a hypocrite given past postings. :) Be that as it mays, I want a) awd, b) best possible performance and handling and c) hatchback/wagon/suv practicality and, finally, I've decided I want d) decent ground clearance/soft-roading capability (knocks the V70R out, drat!). I have looked mostly at wagons but the only ones that really meet my criteria are XC70 and Outback and neither tickle my fancy.

Out of everything else, literally the only thing I've found that seems to meet my criteria well with a reasonable value is the BMW X3. So perhaps the market isn't as saturated as people think. Problem with the X3 is that then I'd be driving a BMW. :D

#3 ·
apzer09 said:
What about the Cadillac SRX? It's a little pricey, but there are some attractive incentives on it.
A little on the bulky side, but worth a drive. I've heard good things about it but am amivalent about the styling. Actually I drove an allroad today and really liked it, for some reason I rememebr it not handling as well as it does. Spendy too though... Nice thing about the beemer is that resale makes lease payments actually very reasonable.

G
#4 ·
Adding some options on the X3 though really jacks up the price. Privacy glass for $475 come on!!!:confused: The 3.0i is the one to have, but it starts well past $30 grand.

I definetely agree the allroad is nice. Looks a little too much like a wagon, but it's sure better than the XC70.

#5 ·
apzer09 said:
Adding some options on the X3 though really jacks up the price. Privacy glass for $475 come on!!!:confused: The 3.0i is the one to have, but it starts well past $30 grand.
Yea, the one I'd specced was around 40k. But with BMW residuals you can still get a very nice lease pmt.

apzer09 said:
I definetely agree the allroad is nice. Looks a little too much like a wagon, but it's sure better than the XC70.
No doubt. The XC70 drives like a marshmallow. The Audi felt very taught, and has that turbo power we all love. Or the V8, but that is like 50k. Unfortunatly, residuals are really bad for Audis -- I might look into leasing used.

#6 ·
Tough one

I drove the X-3 and it really was a joy. I own a V-70XC now and I will say, the word performance does not apply unless you are talking about a great snow on the road car - at that it rocks. The only problem with the BMW is that it is a BMW and all that comes with it (jacked up price, poor reliability, horrible service support...) I would take a hard look at the Audi A-6 Allroad but reliability is again in doubt. Personally, I could not bring myself to even drive into a Cadillac dealer. Good luck in the search.

#7 · (Edited)
Evan said:
I drove the X-3 and it really was a joy. I own a V-70XC now and I will say, the word performance does not apply unless you are talking about a great snow on the road car - at that it rocks. The only problem with the BMW is that it is a BMW and all that comes with it (jacked up price, poor reliability, horrible service support...) I would take a hard look at the Audi A-6 Allroad but reliability is again in doubt. Personally, I could not bring myself to even drive into a Cadillac dealer. Good luck in the search.
Yea, I really don't see me driving a caddy either. I like that they have found their own style, but it doesn't appeal to me, especially not the interiors. The X3 handles very very nicely. I know this is reverse-snobbery but the worst part of owning a bmw is what it says about the owner. ;) The resale obviates the intial cost, and even if I do have reliability issues at least I know I'm completly covered and I will get an X3 or better as a loaner.

(My Saab dealer is still giving me Hyundais when I go in for service. Try driving a Hyundai with crappy all-season tires up a snow and ice covered mountain pass if you want to add a little adventure to your life.) I think the X3 and allroad are at the top of my list. I have decided at least to wait for initial reviews of 9-7x, not because I believe that it will actually be competive but just becuase I want to give it the benefit of the doubt.

G
#8 ·
Lodro said:
I have decided at least to wait for initial reviews of 9-7x, not because I believe that it will actually be competive but just becuase I want to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Who knows, it could actually be competitive, seeing that Bob Lutz has claimed in some magazine that it can handle on par with the X5. That would be great if it did.

#9 ·
apzer09 said:
... Bob Lutz has claimed in some magazine that it can handle on par with the X5. That would be great if it did.
That would be incredible -- in the literal sense -- if it did. :D If they can take a commodity body-on-frame, solid rear, platform and make it handle like an X5 that would truly be making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Perhaps they have an anti-grav machine they are planning to install. But boy, would I love to be surprised..the looks are actually growing on me.

#10 ·
Road Warrior SUV

Well the upcoming Saaburu 9-6 is bound to have a better face than the Subaru Tribeca. The X-5 was used as the bench mark. Because of it's later release, it's very possible that the Saab 9-6 will also have a stronger motor than the current 250HP H6 in the upcoming Tribeca. Maybe a turbo H6 to push the HP to 300/350HP.:p

#11 ·
Well, I checked out the Caddy today and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The handling did not have that razor sharp feel I want, and that is there in spades with the X3. But it seemed quite tossible. The interior is very funcitonal and the full glass sunroof is very cool. There are some cheap bits here and there but overall a quite nice upscale feel as well. All of the buttons and everything felt very well thought out. The V6 does feel kind of overwhelmed, more so than the 3.0 beemer. The V8 was veeery nice but I can't afford that. Still soso on the styling, on the + side its very assertive american styling, on the - side its kind of soccer-momish.

The Tribeca -- with a killer engine and a genuine Saab interior and exterior, maybe. But the Subaru version, they hit that poor thing with the ugly stick and they didn't stop until it bled.

#12 ·
X3 Vs SRX Vs Tribeca ?

It's kind of hard to compare the X3 to the SRX for sporty feel, there is such a size differential. The SRX is fairly nimble but it's not going to feel as sporty as an X3 with Sport Package. The Tribeca which was benchmarked from the X5 might have a better shot. Preliminary magazine driving reviews have been positive comparing it to the X5. I saw the Tribeca in person, and in person it looks pretty good, it really suffers in pictures. The inside is nice, nicer than the X3 and = to X5 no question about it. I think the Saab face will be really nice. All we can hope for is that they get Subaru to put up the LPT H6, 300HP/315TQ. :cool:

#15 · (Edited)
Lodro said:
Yea, I am actually thinking of getting a performance oriented SUV. Feel free to call me a hypocrite given past postings. :) Be that as it mays, I want a) awd, b) best possible performance and handling and c) hatchback/wagon/suv practicality and, finally, I've decided I want d) decent ground clearance/soft-roading capability (knocks the V70R out, drat!). I have looked mostly at wagons but the only ones that really meet my criteria are XC70 and Outback and neither tickle my fancy.

Out of everything else, literally the only thing I've found that seems to meet my criteria well with a reasonable value is the BMW X3. So perhaps the market isn't as saturated as people think. Problem with the X3 is that then I'd be driving a BMW. :D
Have test driven the X3 and now own an '05 SRX V8 AWD. Was sold on the 9-7x but several factors swayed me to go with the SRX. The X3 drives like it is on rails. Very sporty and plenty of pep. For a young active lifestyle, it is a very suitable vehicle. Some downsides for me: requires premium fuel, interior too sparse/plain, seats and ride a bit firm for my taste. Positives were: styling, interior space, handling/performance, and the incredible X-drive system.

IMO, the Saab 9-7x was the perfect vehicle in this category. $10-15,000 less than the Cadillac and every bit as energetic as the BMW. Interior will be much more plush over the BMW and ride qualities will be surprising. The premium sound system, 1" lower, heavier stabilizers, 18" wheels and an amazing V8 that automatically utilyzes between 4 and 8 cylinders depending on your driving needs - providing both economy and performance. AS with other life choices, you'll decide for yourself, but unless you want to spend 50-60 grand on a NorthStar SRX, I'd opt for the 9-7x or the X3.

BTW, my SRX V8 AWD w/ the luxury/performance package ROCKS. The automatic transmission can be manually shifted through 5 gears (like the X3). Very sporting. Plus can burn either 87 or 93 octane. Interior apointments are no comparison to the BMW. The 8 speaker BOSE is a good solid sound system. The Ultra View roof is impressive, much better that the noisy X3's. The navigation system will keep you on course and as a back up there is always the free OnStar. The SRX is marketed as a Luxury SUV, but it is not an SUV. Having owned many SUV's, this is much more like a wagon. But still a blast to drive. The Magnetic Ride Control and seat side bolsters truly keep you planted through the S's.

#17 ·
Flash9-7x said:
BTW, my SRX V8 AWD w/ the luxury/performance package ROCKS. The automatic transmission can be manually shifted through 5 gears (like the X3). Very sporting. Plus can burn either 87 or 93 octane. Interior apointments are no comparison to the BMW. The 8 speaker BOSE is a good solid sound system. The Ultra View roof is impressive, much better that the noisy X3's. The navigation system will keep you on course and as a back up there is always the free OnStar. The SRX is marketed as a Luxury SUV, but it is not an SUV. Having owned many SUV's, this is much more like a wagon. But still a blast to drive. The Magnetic Ride Control and seat side bolsters truly keep you planted through the S's.
I believe you. The V8 I drove was very nice and the sunroof was quite cool. But v8 == too many $$$. The V6 has very close 0-60 times but didn't feel practically nearly as strong. Also the V8 I tried seemed to handle more confidently. I defineltyu want a car I can throw around a bit w/o feeeling like its going to tip over. :) I'm not sure if it had MRC or not (11k option package for v6 :eek:) or it might have just been the 18" wheels which I gather will be availabe as a seperate option for the v6. I do wish it has some more inspried colors. The graphite is nice, but I love the X3 terracotta interior.

G
#18 ·
Personally I'm not fond of the SRX's interior. It's too blocky and not smooth enough. The 9-7x's is better in terms of that. The X3 feels more like a car, but there are too many cheap details in there, and I'll never forget that piece of **** cargo cover that kept poping out while all of these other people were watching how bad it was. :roll:

#21 · (Edited)
Lodro said:
WHy did you decide to go w/ SRX? Just a timing thing?

btw, might look at going for a CPO SRX v8. Big depreciation hit taken, at 40k used I might be able to wing it.
Lodro,

The lease on my Bravada was up 2-10-05. No matter how I tried to get a committment from a dealer that I would get the 1st 9-7x available, they were not committing. I offered to rent a used Saab from their inventory until the 9-7x arrived but too many promises of a return call that never happened. So I had to either extend my lease (at $100 dollars more a month) or be without a vehicle or go to the airport and rent one.

The SRX was my second choice and could get into a V6 lease for less than my Olds. The dealers (2) really wanted my business and both suggested I look at PEP vehicles as several were coming out of service and I qualify as a GM employee. I searched the data base and found that over 100 SRX PEPs were available. I tagged one and within 24 hours had a Black Raven, Light Neutral Interior, NorthStar V8, Luxury/Performance Package w/ Navigation, UltraView Roof, Trailer Package, 3rd row seats, 18" wheels, HID headlights, etc etc. Way more vehicle than I could have afforded. Contacted my sales rep, he ran the numbers and for the same money I was paying for the Bravada, I'm now driving the SRX. I also got the first months lease paid for. All told, I got this 60,000 dollar vehicle for a couple thousand more than sticker on a new 9-7x. I have a 2 year lease and could easily get out of it in 18 months. Just about the time the bugs should be worked out of the new 9-7x's. Plus I'll have time to evaluate them, drive them, have the Mrs. drive them, etc.

What I most liked about the 9-7x is the very thing that many here criticize. I like the Envoy/Bravada/Ranier platform. I like the size. I like the style. I like the powerplants. I like the interior space. I like the towing capability. The 9-7x is all of this but BETTER. Better interior, better styling, better handling. The timing for me was just not right and I simply could not turn down the deal on the SRX.

The Mrs. however prefers the Bravada. She likes the ride height better. The SRX to her is too much like a station wagon. I'm fairly certain that when she gets to drive the 9-7x, that she will really fall for it. Of course what she really wants is the 9-3 convertible. It is also possible that I might keep the SRX and lease a 9-3 for her. Who knows.

#22 ·
Flash9-7x said:
The SRX was my second choice and could get into a V6 lease for less than my Olds. The dealers (2) really wanted my business and both suggested I look at PEP vehicles as several were coming out of service and I qualify as a GM employee. I searched the data base and found that over 100 SRX PEPs were available. I tagged one and within 24 hours had a Black Raven, Light Neutral Interior, NorthStar V8, Luxury/Performance Package w/ Navigation, UltraView Roof, Trailer Package, 3rd row seats, 18" wheels, HID headlights, etc etc. Way more vehicle that I could have afforded. Contacted my sales rep, he ran the numbers and for the same money I was paying for the Bravada, I'm now driving the SRX.
Nice. Too bad this isn't available to us civilians. :D

#23 ·
Lodro said:
Nice. Too bad this isn't available to us civilians. :D
Actually..........you should check with your local Cadillac Dealer. Many PEP vehicles find their way onto dealer lots with significant savings, some up to 33%. If a slightly used vehicle (2500-10,000 miles) doesn't bother you, then this might be a option. Ask the salesman for any PEP vehicles available. Sometimes the dealer's wife will have driven one, put 7500 miles on it and it is sold as a DEMO. Same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.