SaabCentral Forums banner

Help! My oil would rather be on the ground...

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  euroteck2 
#1 ·
I have an oil leak that is getting most of the engine nasty. I have already checked the valve cover and head bolts which are both fine. Oil pressure sensor was replaced less than a year ago and it still does not seem to be leaking.

There is oil on most of the bottom of the block but seems to be heavier on the front side(side w/ the belt). I was thinking the t-chain tensioner but it doesn't seem to be that. Could it be the oil pan "gasket"? I'm really not sure since oil is getting higher than that too.

Any thoughts/ideas on what is leaking?

#2 ·
Your oil pan doesn't have a gasket but it could be leaking. I would try tighten the bolts on it to see if any are loose. Also check to see if it is actually oil and not power steering fluid or transmission fluid. As someone stated in a earlier post they thought they had a oil leak and it was coming from the bottol line on there power steering resovoir.

#6 ·
I will be at 100k in the next week or so. It really seems to be the oil pan based on there being oil all round the seam of it, but it is also up higher on the block on the belt side.:confused:

I do think the turbo is getting a little looser as I have oil around my TB and it broke that little seal around the intake there. There is also a little oil around the transition from rubber to plastic intake piping from the intercooler to the TB.

#11 ·
Yesterday, I replaced the air filter and took it for a test drive. Bad idea, when I got out it smelled like burning oil and when I would go around a turn the oil pressure light would come on :eek: . I checked the oil and there was not much left. I had leaked out at least 2 quarts... The whole rear of the engine by the firewall has oil on it and there is oil coming out around the throttle body. I can't figure out the problem. The oil pressure switch is new at about 1 yr old now. I checked the valve cover and its good.

#14 ·
toxicavenger said:
bro we can only give suggestion on what to but honestly it sounds like you need to either get under the car to see fi anything is leaking or take it to a mechanic. I think it is your oil sending unit because of how much is leaking out at once.
I'm starting to think the same thing. I just hate that the thing is only about a year old.

#17 ·
Since I refilled the oil on monday, it has leaked virtually dry today :eek: . It appears to be consuming more than leaking so I am afraid its my turbo. Theres oil around the charge pipe where it connects to the DV and oil all around the TB. I am taking the car in on friday to be diagnosed.

#18 ·
Just a minor point, but if it's consuming oil then normally you would get blue smoke from the exhaust (particularly at your rate of loss). Sounds more like some sort of gasket /seal failure, or as somebody else has said, a ventilation failure causing the sump to become pressurised.
I'm sure the shop will sort it

#19 ·
usaully in my expierience its the oil pressure sender just below the head and above the starter they love to leak . another thing to think about is leaking boost into your crankcase will blow oil out of any where it can. pcv issues are very similar in regards to building crank case vent pressure and blowing oil out wherever they can. taking it to a shop is good but this is what we do at the shop i work at. take your car out back and pressuer wash to motor and under side. if im scared it wont restart i leave it running after its clean i leave it running or start it up put it on a lift/jackstands and me and my flash light find the new oil path.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.