SaabCentral Forums banner

C900 Distributor Oil Seal

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Max Blast 
#1 ·
My T16S, (SPG/Aero) is leaking a little oil through the distibutor. I'm told by some WYSE guys (West Yorkshire Saab Enthusiasts) that it's the oil seal on the distributor.

Had a Google and a hunt around the forums here and elsewhere, but can't find a conclusive guide on how to fix this.

I have the part number for the seal, but I could do with a step by step guide/procedure.

Thanks

Al

#2 ·
Hi and welcome, very straight forward really.
There is just the one "fork shaped" clamp securing the distributor to the engine which is in turn held by one bolt.
Unscrew bolt remove clamp and dist. will just slide out. Re-fit is reverse, dist can only be installed/engage with cam inside in one way. But do label leads and the dizzy cap to avoid mix up on re-install.
They are good pics else where on this forum but this will help get started.
The old seal will not bear any obvious relation to the new seal other than both round, but its just the way it deforms over time. It is just the 1 seal.
In the pic its the black seal to the right on the dizzy shaft.

…my 200th post I think :suprised; !

#4 ·
Saab would be the most straight forward. If ordering from an O-ring supplier you would need to specify both the internal diameter (ie the groove in which it sits) and the cross section diameter (for which the diameter of the aperture into which the dizzy shaft goes would be needed) of the ring.
And it would have to be a High temperature Nitrile type O-Ring.
Go Saab if possible.

#7 ·
To specify ring dimensions is easier than trying to tell the Saab dealer guy what the seal is :lol: And it better be cheaper...

#5 ·
The distributor to head O ring is shown here, but if it doesn't solve the problem, there is an oil seal in the distributor shaft that will harden and leak. I don't have the link handy, but I do have a couple of the INTERNAL seals in hand from NAPA. They are staked in the body and can only be changed with a full teardown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.