SaabCentral Forums banner

Cheap FOB remote shells on ebay

7K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Nathan 9⁵ 
#1 ·
#8 ·
There was a thread on these a few weeks ago, as I recall, it said sort of a hard plastic, some difficulty seating the circuit board and the cut key got stuck in the shell,

But I guess any port in a storm. With patience we will see keys back out there.

#10 ·
I just got this message from the seller

"Hello,

The item (Remote Key Case Fob for SAAB 9-3 9-5 93 95 2009 Plus Smart key Shell 4 Button) is a key shell case only, no remote key blank inside.

Is it what you want? If you are sure it is what you want, we will ship it to you right now.

Or if you want the key shell case with the remote key blank?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you!"

I don't really care about the key blank, but this seems kinda shaddy.

#16 ·
If your FOB remote is melting away (like mine), you may want to have a look at these shell cases I just found on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Remote-Key-Case-Fob-SAAB-9-3-9-5-93-95-2009-Plus-Smart-key-Shell-4-Button-/120946751691?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c28fcf8cb

I just ordered 1. Will report back when I receive it.

Here's my report: Don't buy this! First of all they told me after ordering it wasn't going to come with the key blade. I said to send it anyway. It came with a blade, but its skinnier and I'm not sure it would work right.
Regardless this thing is not well made. There were no tabs inside it to hold the battery in place or the circuit board. Stupid me put it together anyway even though the thing felt like it wouldn't stay securely shut.
Well the first time I pulled it out of the ignition everything fell out and the button on the circuit board for the locks also feel apart. I ended up with missing pieces from the circuit board and a non working remote. I was eventually able to disassemble the forth unused button on my remote (I assume the panic button), use to parts to reassemble the lock button, and solder another broken piece. The remote works again, but I don't trust it as my main key.
I should have seen this one coming, but I paid the price for being stupid.

#18 ·
They are touch and go. I got mine from seller jurgen1290. He doesn't have any for sale at present - but it clipped together and was really good quality (but still completely hard plastic).

I bought another from a chinese company on the internet and it didn't clip together and they key was too thin. Sounds very similar to your experience. When I asked them about the key not clipping together the feedback was 'it needs to be glued together, it's how they are meant to be'. Needless to say I wasn't impressed.

#23 ·
Ok, so just got mine in the mail. First impressions: Came with both the fob housing and a blank key but as sweedishmeatball stated, it looks too narrow to be cut and used. Also the logo/key release button is not a button. That being said, I still put my circuitry board and battery in, which there were grooves for, and tried it out. All the key function worked and the car is able to start. My real key even fits into the key slot and because it’s a bit wider than the blank that came with the set, it’s pretty secure even though there isn’t that slip lock. Now this may ware out after a sometime so it definitely something to monitor. All in all, for $15, I’m happy with it as a stand-in for my almost completely deteriorated original. Note that I do have a spare orginal key as well case this one does completely fail on me.

#25 ·
I just bought a brand new, unopened, un-programmed key off Ebay for $87 shipped. I figured the extra $50 bucks was worth it. I'll use the shell from this one and keep the circuit board as a spare. There will be plenty more popping up soon for prices around $60-100 bucks because they've started making them again.

Be careful though, there are people still selling them for stupid money because they don't expect you to shop around.

#28 · (Edited)
Pictures!

OK! Pictures! Unless stated, left key is the orginal (my spare, main key is too warn out to show...) and the right key is the Ebay key(knock off). Enjoy :cheesy:!

So again, left orginal and right knock off

Yea, was thinking someone with a lot of key blanks and time on their hands might wanna try duplicate my key :nono;

#30 ·
Update, I emailed the ebay seller regarding the dfferent widths of they keys and he replied with the following:

"Hello,

Do not worry,
Please send me the photo of your original,
Our EMAIL: info@diagkey.com
We help you solve this problem.

Thank you.

- diagkey2011"

So I sent him the above pictures... we'll see what happens.

#35 ·
Since it's made of a harder plastic and not that rubberized material, I do not see it wearing out nearly as fast as the orignal key. So yes, for a cost effective solution, I would recommend it.

Lol, thanks brynjarsa. That does look like our key... Still waiting to hear back from the seller regarding the one that came with the fob housing. I guess I should of checked their full store for that housing only option before buying...se la vie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.