SaabCentral Forums banner

saab 93 aero window (pinch) problem !!!!!!!

7K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Naks 
#1 ·
Hey guys anyone have window problems with their 93 aero's...

mine is a 2005 and saab put a pinch control setting on the windows so that if anything were to be caught while the window was going up, the pinch control will automatically bring the window back down... The problem is the calibration goes off for some reason and the window has a mind of it's own. You go to put the window up and the it comes back down and keeps doing so until you get it by a fluke!!!! I don't know why saab did such a stupid thing...I've already taken the car back 4 times for the same problem. twice for the driver side and twice for the passenger side..

So the big question is is there anything i can do to avoid this problem?
Is there a way to fix it?
and should i ask for an extended warranty free of charge? or as for a new car since it's a lease..

help me out guys this is a dillema!!

#2 ·
Two points:

If your on the road and you want to force the window to close, hold down the child lock and then raise the window. The pinch control will be de-activated while you work the window.

I kept trying to reset the pinch control by following the directions in the manual, always expecting to hear the chime when successful. Never heard it. Decided to open the door and near the hinge unplug and replug the connector. On the top of the connector you will see a flange that has to be raised all the way to remove the connector. Did that for both front doors then on my first attempt to adjust the pinch the chime sounded. Haven't had a problem since.

#5 ·
When you open the door, towards to front of it where it is Hinged to the frame of the car. You should see a rubber tube that the wireing harness for the door is in. That rubber tube where it comes in contact with the door is connected to the wiring harness. A rectangle object that runs up and down maybe three inches or so long. On the top is a Flange (a plastic piece) that is a lever that holds the harness to the socket on the door. if you take a flat head screw driver you should be able to leverage the piece up to the point you can grab it with your fingers to raise it all the way up. It will not come apart, but once you pull the lever all the way the connecter can be pulled off. remove it, wait a minute then reconnect and slide the lever back down to secure.

Guess theres a microprocssor in the window motor that has to be reset.

#6 ·
I've found the connectors and i could remove it ? ... but should the car be in the "on" position or "off" to reset? And does this method work for all windows cause my back window seems not to be able to go up automatically..? I can pull it up all the way without problem (manually) but when i pull the button all the way up for the "convenient window raising"(automatic) it seems to do nothing...

#7 ·
I don't really think it matters if the key is on or off but just to play it safe turn it off.

Just to make sure we are on the same page. With the window down when you press the window up all the way and let go your window is meant to close on it's own. But because your pinch-protection is acting funky when you go to close the window it rises to close or almost closed and then rebounds down probably about three or four inches. When you try to re-calibrate the window you can't get it to stop the rebound nor do you hear the confirmation chime that confirms the calibration. If so, unplugging and re-plugging the connector followed by a re-calibration took care of the problem for me (and a few others on this forum). BTW you probably could undo the battery for the same effect but would need to reset other functions on the car when power is reapplied.

Also noticed the comment from another post to have your dealer do a software update. I would suggest you do that the next time you have the car in for work. My fix will take care of it for now.

#8 · (Edited)
that's exactly what the car does (bounces back)...so after unplugging it and putting it back, how do I re-calibrate it. isn't the dealer only ones capable of doing that?

I had the car in the shop three times already so I think that the dealership updated the software...I'm going to try your advice and see if it works...thanks keep u updated.

#9 ·
When you unplug it, I assume it cancels the pinchcontrol when raising the windows. IE you have to hold the button up to raise the window.

Check the manual and it details how to calibrate. I believe you raise then lower and then raise the window back up and hold the button up. Then you should hear the chime to confirm the calibration.

I'm the same way with the dealer. I avoid bringing the car in for just one small problem. I typically stack up a few items so it's worth the time. To much hassle for just one item fix. Now if the item is a show stopper then the car goes to the dealer.

#11 ·
when you disconnect the wires your cutting power to the drivers door module that stores the motor amperage values that are used for pinch protection. when it loses power it loses that stored data so it has to re-learn the anti-pinch. while it will work, it is not a good practice, it throws all sorts of codes out on to the bus.

there is a software update to reduce the number of anti-pinch events and relearns, check your service reciept to see if they did the software update.

also keeping your windows clean aids a lot. i have had to clean more than few windows and seals that set off the anti-pinch falsely.

#12 ·
Ok one question...If i unplug the wires and basically "re-boot" will the technician at the dealer know that i unplugged it? so basically does the computer store data that i messed with the wires because i wouldn't want them to try blaming me for what is clearly a manufacturers defect or responsibility to fix.

#13 ·
Mikejsaab said:

mine is a 2005 and saab put a pinch control setting on the windows so that if anything were to be caught while the window was going up, the pinch control will automatically bring the window back down... The problem is the calibration goes off for some reason and the window has a mind of it's own. You go to put the window up and the it comes back down and keeps doing so until you get it by a fluke!!!! I don't know why saab did such a stupid thing...I've already taken the car back 4 times for the same problem. twice for the driver side and twice for the passenger side..

and should i ask for an extended warranty free of charge? or as for a new car since it's a lease..

have you removed the door panelsand unplugged the window switches this will loose you anti pinche ...has your car had a software upgrade... this make's us tech's mad... because the customer looses all personall setting in the vehicle you also may have lost memory mirror setting posibly.. you need to update us with what where the last thing's done on your car a dead battery wont due this
Mike9

#15 ·
Mikejsaab said:
Ok one question...If i unplug the wires and basically "re-boot" will the technician at the dealer know that i unplugged it? so basically does the computer store data that i messed with the wires because i wouldn't want them to try blaming me for what is clearly a manufacturers defect or responsibility to fix.
when you start seeing codes for loss of communication with the DDM, you start to wonder whats up. whats worce is when you start chasing the trail of the owner messing with the car, so you no longer can see what the real fault is and what the owner introduced in trying to figure it out themselves. again thats why i don;t reccomend disconnecting the electrical connector for the door.

#16 ·
Nimisys said:
when you start seeing codes for loss of communication with the DDM, you start to wonder whats up. whats worce is when you start chasing the trail of the owner messing with the car, so you no longer can see what the real fault is and what the owner introduced in trying to figure it out themselves. again thats why i don;t reccomend disconnecting the electrical connector for the door.
I agree with Nimisys you don't want to continually be messing around with the car on a known repeatable problem. But you have to weigh in factors such as are you still under warranty, when is the next time you plan on visiting the dealer for warranty items and/or service checkups. Also he makes a very good point to clean the window seals so the window can glide up and the pinch is not triggered. In my case I was 5k away from my 15k checkup and didn't want to visit the dealer for just this one issue. I did the plug a month back and have had no reoccuring events since. I will be noting the issue when I take the car in shortly.

Of course you can always use the override option until you have a chance to visit the dealer.

#17 ·
Mikejsaab said:
i did not remove any door panels but i want to remove the wiring harness that's on the door hinge., I think that's for the windows
I'm not sure i had a software update...
I think the connections in this harness can get "dirty," and simply unplugging and replugging may re-establish good contact. I had some flickering LED's that could only be stabilized by unplugging and replugging the harness.

The chips for the pinch protection are in the switch module under the window toggles. Under the plastic toggles there is a moisture barrier which serves as the top of the control module. There is also a membrane keypad on the underside of the moisture barrier. This keypad contacts the PCB within the switch module. There are about 8 IC's in the circuitry under the driver's switches. This may be the main brains for all doors. I didn't have any of the other modules apart (yet).

#18 ·
I think the harness is making good contact but it may be the main pinch control you are talking about that's the problem... All the windows work either from the driver control or the idividual doors..It's just that the driver's window gets triggered by the pinch and starts bouncing back...I think I may have to take it to the dealership to get it reprogrammed or recalibrated..

#19 ·
Mikejsaab said:
I think the harness is making good contact but it may be the main pinch control you are talking about that's the problem... All the windows work either from the driver control or the idividual doors..It's just that the driver's window gets triggered by the pinch and starts bouncing back...I think I may have to take it to the dealership to get it reprogrammed or recalibrated..
That's how mine worked. I don't think the issue is if the harness is making good contact, it's clearing out the chips information by dropping power so you have a fresh image to calibrate. Sorry to say, it's pretty much like rebooting a PC. You have to go with what your comfortable doing. Do the connector and see the results or book an appointment with the dealer.

#21 ·
I can attest to MichSaab's technique. I am not sure if it was him, but someone posted this fix several months ago. It works great, but it is true that you will also lose your mirror memory positions. Well worth it though, if the documented method in the manual refuses to work for you.

#24 ·
Mikejsaab said:
michsaab, Should i clean all the windows and seals before i try the recalibration? cause if the window is dirty when i reset and let's say i clean the car later, wouldn't the pinch be "off" and start acting up again?
Nope.

Just pull the plug and then plug it back in. The pinch then has to be re-calibrated, which you can do repeatedly if you want (don't know why other than the seals being cleaned off).

#26 ·
you may need the the door lock modual's updated and relearn anti pinch and have comfort opening relearned aswell

Mike9 i't s my first post in awhile hope i did it right

Mikejsaab said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.