SaabCentral Forums banner

Newbie here - basic 9-5 body questions.....

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFinn 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I recently purchased a 2001 9-5 (base model w/ premium package) and really do enjoy driving the car almost as much as my tried and true SPG. I realize that these questions are most likely covered elsewhere but have not had the time to comb the entire site for them.

1) Where can one go to find body and/or aero kits for the 9-5 (outside of OEM)? It seems as everyone caters to the 9-3 for aftermarket body kits. All I have found on the net are rear spoilers. I would like to tastefully beef up the exterior of the car without making it look like it is ready to do battle in Japan.

2. Do the 2002-2004 headlights really fit the 2001? I can bypass the focal capabilities of the xenon lamp and am only interested in the output performance and the newer look.

3. Along the same lines....If I change out my decklid to a 2002 (if it will fit), can I simply "upgrade" to the 2002-2004 tail lights?

I know, based on my questions, I should have just bought a 2002 but this 01 9-5 fit my budget and I am happy with the car - plus, it only has 32K on the clock. It is just that when I see the newer 9-3's and 9-5's cruising the streets, I do tend to favor the "look" of the car - and the parts "seem" to "look" interchangeable. I have a friend who owns a very nice paintshop here in town and he told me that if and when I got the parts, he would do the install and paint match for nothing - another HUGE motivational factor :D .

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated from any or all on this post.

Thanks,

Has

See less See more
#2 ·
The new look started 2001.5 (midyear 2001). If you have the old look, then I believe it's a 2001. In that case, you can't use the headlights, not sure about the taillights, and Xenons will be really expensive.

I know there are places to get body kits, but I don't know where.

#3 ·
After doing some research, it seems that trying the headlight and tail light conversion would not only be a huge investment but probably not worth the cost. I still don't know if it can be done.

I have decided to simply add the pedastel spoiler, aero chin spoiler, side skirts, and rear skirt. I am on the hunt for a set of used BBS RS rims and tires. I will probably lower the car if/when I can find a set of the rims. The car is a thrill to drive and hope to do some minor performance upgrades down the road. Any suggestions on those upgrades would likewise be appreciated. I have the 2.3 lpt.

Cheers,

Has

#4 ·
SPuGster said:
I am on the hunt for a set of used BBS RS rims and tires.
Have you considered the Aero standard equipment wheels?

I love the look of those. Fits a Saab perfectly.. :)

#5 ·
I really do like the look of the aero rims. I have been watching ads for used rims but most of the aero sets have curb rash and are priced as high as the BBS rims. If I am going to spend that much, I would rather have the BBS, otherwise, a clean set of the aero wheels (17") are my second choice. My aero kit and rear spoiler should be here by this Monday so I am looking forward to that. Does anybody know if I can upgrade my 01 9-5 with the homelink rearview mirror? I am not sure if the car is prewired for this or not.

#6 ·
Mattlach said:
SPuGster said:
I am on the hunt for a set of used BBS RS rims and tires.
Have you considered the Aero standard equipment wheels?

I love the look of those. Fits a Saab perfectly.. :)

Are they 17"? And, WHERE CAN I FIND THEM!? I'm looking at rims, and nothing really suits the 9-5 like a Viking Shield!

[edit] And when I say "where can I find them", I mean "cheaper than what a Saab dealership might charge."

#8 ·
sherpapike88 said:
Check ebay for the rims.....from time to time, you may be able to find a good deal. good luck!!!!
They pop up on the TSN classifieds every now and then.

Yes,

They are 17" They are the ones I have. Got 225/45-17 size tires on them :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.