SaabCentral Forums banner

Good News for rough running cold starts

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  iitsrayy 
#1 · (Edited)
Good News for rough running cold starts ***With Videos***

Someone posted the other day, that all we do here is post problems about Saabs, so here's a little good news. I was having cold start, rough running issues. The car was running so rough on cold startups, it was throwing a P0340 code. After a couple of minutes, the problem would clear up and the engine would return to running smoothly. Here's video #1 showing the cold start, it's east to see the bad vibrations I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ya7szSIV0. If I'm correct, P0340 points to the DIC or plugs. I couldn't believe my DIC would be bad with only 11,150 miles and 1.6 years on it. On a whim, I decided to add a couple of bottles of the product, "Heet", in the yellow bottle over the course of a couple of days. To my amazement, the very next day, all of my rough running, cold start issues disspeared, along with my trouble code, here's the second video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuvDcyZfOp0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL My battery tested bad for 875 CCA, which is why it sounds like it's on it's last leg, but at least the rough running starts have been solved. I must bought some watery gas somewhere along the line.

See less See more
#6 ·
I must bought some watery gas somewhere along the line.

did your problems start after buying fuel from a particular vendor or were they happening over multiple tankfulls?[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, the problem just showed up overnight, so it could probably be traced to an individual vendor. I usually stick to reputable vendors like BP or Shell and only buy 93 Octane. I'll have to look at my receipts. Before the rough idle issue, I've always thought the car cranked too long before firing, so recently I bought a new supply line check valve which I've yet to install, my Dad was saying my problem could also be my Negative battery cable.

#7 ·
I make it a habit to add dry gas to the tank every winter to avoid cold start problems. Been doing it for years condensation happens when the fuel levels remain low in the fuel tank HEET is good; my choice is dry gas.

#9 ·
Slightly off topic, but looking for a quick answer...

Is it better to run 89 octane gas in the cold than 93?

I used 93 all summer, and I remember reading on here somewhere that 89 is better in winter.

#10 ·
i don;t think it's better, just you wont notice the difference as much between 93 and 89 in the winter as the cold air that your engine is sucking in allows for less of a chance of pre-ignition (knocking) which in turn causes t7 to cut back the power

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.