SaabCentral Forums banner

aftermarket headunits

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  stamonkey 
#1 ·
After spending the time to solder in an aux-in for my factory head unit and replacing all of the speakers, I have decided to go aftermarket. The factory headunit just doesn't cut it. The only problem is that every aftermarket headunit is ugly. And I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls. I plan purchasing the PAC SWI-JACK steering wheel control interface to take care of that problem. Is there any Apline, Clarion, JVC, or Kenwood headunits that will kind of look stock? Right now the Clarion DXZ475MP is leading the pack, but it still sucks. I have found a smattering of pics, but not a whole lot. This is the best one I have found yet, but it is not compatable with the SWI-JACK. Just seems like its hard to find a stereo to match wood and leather.

#2 ·
None of those brands will look particularly stock, at least none of them that I've seen. An older Alpine with green buttons would look pretty decent, though. You might look at Nakamichi or Blaupunkt, and even Sony has started to make some head units that aren't hideous.

#3 ·
Jeremy R. said:
None of those brands will look particularly stock, at least none of them that I've seen. An older Alpine with green buttons would look pretty decent, though. You might look at Nakamichi or Blaupunkt, and even Sony has started to make some head units that aren't hideous.
The only thing is to maintain the steering wheel controls I have to use either a Clarion, Alpine, JVC, or Kenwood

#5 ·
stamonkey said:
The only thing is to maintain the steering wheel controls I have to use either a Clarion, Alpine, JVC, or Kenwood
More makes are adding Saab to their list including Blaupunkt [via an inline adapter]; Blaupunkt units plug and play with the car's own wiring too, no wasting money on adapter harnesses.

#6 ·
No comment on headunit, but what made you decide on getting a new one? I started making connectors to put an amplifier to power the front speakers I installed. I made the 8 pin connector from a genertic $5 male, but haven't been able to find a weekend to install the last bit of the wiring for the amp.

Though after burning myself numerous times, I was thinking of just getting a new headunit to get preamp out and using the amp for the rear speakers instead.

#7 ·
tucksayre said:
No comment on headunit, but what made you decide on getting a new one? I started making connectors to put an amplifier to power the front speakers I installed. I made the 8 pin connector from a genertic $5 male, but haven't been able to find a weekend to install the last bit of the wiring for the amp.

Though after burning myself numerous times, I was thinking of just getting a new headunit to get preamp out and using the amp for the rear speakers instead.
I didn't think I ever would want a new head unit, expecially after spending the time making an aux-in. But both cars previous to my 9-3 have had aftermarket stereos. Nothing too crazy, but they still sounded good. Since I didn't want to loose steering wheel controls, and the radio display on the SID, I went replacing speakers. The replaced speakers kept me happy for a while, but not anymore. I thought about just adding an amp, but I've read that its hard to get a good signal from the factory head unit. I'm not really into just bass or whatever, I just want good quality sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.