SaabCentral Forums banner

Front Suspension Guessing Game

8K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  wkndracr 
#1 ·
Guess what's wrong with this picture (no URL peeking :)

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm going top guess, then cheat.

That is an interesting shock, never seen that. do you have the box end wrench on the nut that holds on the strut mount, then you have some kind of allen key in the top of the shock? I've only seen the koni's that have a little tab on the top you turn with their little wrench. So I am guessing you've discovered some other kind of adjustable shock?

OR, I know you've wanted to put 9-3 mounts on an Ng spring, have you done that?

now time to cheat....
Tboy

#6 ·
dip said:
Guess what's wrong with this picture (no URL peeking :)
Magenta is a little low.

And I'd never lock off the strut to torque off car.

Playing silly buggers with springs is something you'll have to explain though :lol:

#7 · (Edited)
Tboy, those are Bilstein heavy duty monotube shocks. They have massive looking pistons, but they are not adjustable. I'm actually surprised Bilsteins are so rarely used on these cars.

Raggy, the white balance on this camera kills me every time. We have a better one, but I really don't want to use it in the garage. And the top nut was properly torqued on the car later ;]

#8 ·
I have the Bilstein Touring Class on the front of my vert. About 10% stiffer than stock and extremely affordable, they seem to me to be the perfect strut insert for the otherwise stock suspension. And yes, the pistons in the Tourings are massive too. (I must confess, when I read the post title, I was expecting another "front end mystery noise" post). So, are your Eibachs upside down?

#21 ·
Saaboheme said:
If a cigar is being offered to me, I must decline as I am 122 and 1/2 hours removed from my last puff of a tobacco product.
Wow good for you!!

OK now dip, the cat is out of the bag. I was close on my second guess, but I've read the write up. Now post it for those who haven't found it yet.

Lets talk about this some. I've got intrax springs which are low low and super rough. I've been doomed to either bounce on the floor or soar above the clouds with the intrax or stock springs. This opens up alot of possibilites. Now what springs should I choose?

Tboy

#22 ·
The curios part is that I can pretty much match what Saaboheme said. I probably am the only Russian within a fairly large range who does not touch tobacco and alcohol.

Back to business.

Tboy said:
OK now dip, the cat is out of the bag. I was close on my second guess, but I've read the write up. Now post it for those who haven't found it yet.
To sum it up, fitting 9-3 springs on NG900 is rather easy. All it takes is a pair of rubber spring seats from a 9-3 at the top and a simple mod of the coil stop at the bottom. Here's how.

I did it to fit a set of Eibach springs that I really liked. If this proves useful, it can widen a range of spring selection for NG900 owners - from used Viggen springs to the products that weren't previously available for NG900, like my Eibachs.

Tboy said:
Now what springs should I choose?
Just pick whatever makes you happy ;]

#23 ·
It is odd that the Intrax springs are so universally reviled on the NG and later cars. I lowered a classic vert ('92) with Intrax and they were perfect for the car. Not too harsh, good compliance, progressive control, and well damped with Koni's. I have refused to lower this vert, as the suspension is iffy to begin with and I did not want to risk making an unpleasant situation intolerable. Luckily, the verts are slightly lower to begin with than the hard tops. Today I spent the whole day replacing the right front control arm (and inserting the Taliaferro poly outer bushing in place of the older Abbott poly I had in there), re-screwing the strut cartridge into the strut housing (it had been working its way out either due to last years front-end vibration or was the cause of the vibration) and putting on the summer big wheels. Last year's front end vibration appears to be gone and now it seems that a whole new world of possibilities is opening up. Thanks Dip, for yet another great idea.

#24 ·
dip said:
The curios part is that I can pretty much match what Saaboheme said. I probably am the only Russian within a fairly large range who does not touch tobacco and alcohol.

Back to business.

To sum it up, fitting 9-3 springs on NG900 is rather easy. All it takes is a pair of rubber spring seats from a 9-3 at the top and a simple mod of the coil stop at the bottom. Here's how.

I did it to fit a set of Eibach springs that I really liked. If this proves useful, it can widen a range of spring selection for NG900 owners - from used Viggen springs to the products that weren't previously available for NG900, like my Eibachs.

Just pick whatever makes you happy ;]
Looks good Dip, you are now ready to go racing with me now:p I had the voxtland springs with kyb's in the front, it was very harsh, put in new Koni adjustables and the ride has improved 10-fold... No harshness and even at full firm, its less harsh than the kyb's.... At half setting the ride is better than stock in comfort and handeling in my opinion...

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.