SaabCentral Forums banner

New Car: Dark Oil Color After Oil Change?

12K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  cleveland_saab 
#1 ·
So I and my wife just got our 2005 9-3 Aero about 2 weeks ago. 62k mile lease return that appears to be in nearly excellent condition. We have driven it around 750 miles since we got it and it runs great.

I checked the oil after we got it and the oil level was in the middle between the min and max level indicators but was very dark in color, still somewhat translucent but still very dark. So a couple days later my wife took it to wal-mart and they supposedly changed the oil and my wife made sure to tell them to put mobile 1 synthetic in it.

So I check the oil again after the oil change and it is above the max level and nearly identical in color as before we had the oil change. They also charged us for 2 more quarts than what is included in the service (5 quarts?).

Is this at all normal?? Is something wrong with my car? Or did Wal-Mart just rip me off?

Also of note, I've never owned a car with a turbo or a car that uses synthetic so if those affect the oil color that may need to be accounted for.

#4 ·
It's pretty normal for oil to darken up quickly, my 2004 did the same thing when I bought it last year. The used car dealer I bough it from changed the oil, but it seemed to get dark quickly.

Since I didn't know the history or what kind of oil he used, I wound up changing the oil again after a couple months, just to be prudent. I'm not sure it was really necessary to do so though, but I worry a bit about this stuff. I will say that it seems to stay a bit lighter for longer now that I'm on ~7-8 K changes, but my impression of what's on the dipstick is pretty darned subjective.

I'm sure if you've been browsing the forums, you know all about using Mobil 1 0W40 and the like.

#6 ·
Automotive oils normally have detergents in them that will cause your new oil to go dark very fast. If your lease return car had few oil changes then there would be a build up of dirt in the engine that will take a while to clean even with frequent oil changes. Most people wait way too long to change their oil. A very knowledgeable engine mechanic told me dirt was one of the major contributors to engine wear.

As for the Walmart work ethics. I wonder if their used oil container is very full? Lets hope so. If garages can not be trusted to do simple oil changes, that is very sad.

#7 ·
Oil will get dark pretty quick, but I would advice highly against going to walmart for oil changes, not just with the Saab, but really with any car. I actually take mine to the dealer because it's not much more expensive than buying the stuff myself, and I know they are putting in the right stuff.

#10 ·
Here is a crappy out of focus picture of my dipstick in similar lighting. This oil was changed about 600 miles ago. As you can see, it's still a bit "translucent/golden", the way your oil looks is more the way mine looks around 5-6k. So either your engine is really dirty, they didn't change the oil, or whatever type of oil they used looks like that.

#17 ·
Also, if you order the Mann filter from eeurparts.com it comes with the big o-ring, I think. However since your filter would have been just changed, I don't think the O ring is especially vital. You should probably order the rubber gasket for the drain plug. These last more than one oil change, but again you have no idea how old the one you have is or how badly overtorqued the plug is.

As for DIY, you might save some $, but you'll probably wanna buy some ramps and sockets if you don't have them. You'll need some torx bits to take off the engine cover, a great big socket to take off the oil cartridge cover, a smaller one for the drain plug etc. We can provide details and a protocol. Nothing terribly unusual, but the oil filters a bit odd (but common in GM land).

You'll save a few bucks, but the best reason to DIY is peace of mind - you'll know that you got the proper kind of oil in there, that the old grunge had enough time to drain out etc.

#19 ·
as I can see in the photos:
-too dark oil.
-----for diesel engines is like normal but, not for gasoline ones (honey translucient color and perdure for long time and many kms).

-overpass the maximun stick level (one liter more damage the engine).

I am very impressed about your recomendations about oil change. sorry!!!

but, I pay 160€ for gm specitication supersythetic longlife 5w-30, (In america would be an scandal), and some of you use 10w-40 (semi-synt. for diesel engines, not for turbo gasoline engines) for less than half price.

#20 ·
"I am very impressed about your recomendations about oil change. sorry!!!"

....^^^^WTF does that mean?

"some of you use 10w-40 (semi-synt. for diesel engines, not for turbo gasoline engines) for less than half price. "

...^^^^Whos using 10W40 Semi Synth??? Wasnt mentioned in this thread?

#26 ·
Well I guess I'll just bite the bullet and take it to Sewell, hopefully they'll have that flight check deal. I would do it myself but I live in an apartment and they would probably kick me out of they saw me changing my oil. Does anybody know if the dealer can tell me the maintenance history on the car?

I did make it to my grandparents this weekend and changed the spark plugs, engine and air cabin filters and serpentine belt. Easiest spark plug change I've ever done. So that was nice.

Thanks for all the help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.