SaabCentral Forums banner

94 Airflow Convertible

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  CapCom 
#1 ·
I decided to pick up an Airflow kit yesterday, since I found one for a reasonable price. Turns out, there was a car attached!

It's got a slipping auto transmission, and a bad vacuum leak somewhere, and the exhaust is hanging off... so it will need some TLC. But it should clean up quite nicely!

More photos here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/amish_geek/sets/72157615990292012/

Not too shabby for a $600 car!

See less See more
#3 ·
$600!

The kit on ebay can go for twice that!

How does a 1994 have holes in the door bottoms. Perhaps the doors are not original, as they are grey.

Looks farily ok, hope it isn't too rusty, lots of potential.

Good luck

#7 ·
one's the head unit and the other is the equalizer plus cd player. same setup as in my grandfather's '94.

amazing car for 600. makes me hope that one of these days i find a cheap one in need of love.

#9 ·
Got everything disconnected from the motor, just have to break loose the motor mounts, pull the axles, and pull the motor. Which I'll do tomorrow evening. :)

Rather than keep the same motor and do a tranny swap, I'm just going to swap the whole motor/trans cluster from my 89 SPG in. The SPG was in an accident on Thanksgiving of last year, with front end damage that I can't repair... the motor/trans appear to be in good condition still, and unharmed.

So Hopefully I'll have everything swapped over and running by the end of the week!

#10 ·
Nice find.

In the next week or so I should have a 1991 900 turbo that is in excellent mechanical shape. It's a little rough around the edges body and interior wise, but it's a great place to start.

I REALLY like the Airflow and SPG body kits, but I don't know if I'm gonna go that route on mine.

#11 ·
ctruss53 said:
Nice find.

In the next week or so I should have a 1991 900 turbo that is in excellent mechanical shape. It's a little rough around the edges body and interior wise, but it's a great place to start.

I REALLY like the Airflow and SPG body kits, but I don't know if I'm gonna go that route on mine.
Did you buy Champ's 900?

You know I'm parting out my beater SPG right? ;)

#13 ·
Just finished getting the motor trans removed from the Airflow... It went slower than I anticipated, all in all 5hrs spent from driving the vert around the block to my driveway, to having the motor/trans sitting on my driveway. :)

Tomorrow evening will be spent pulling the motor/trans from the SPG, and start swapping the internals over (gear selector housing, clutch pedal etc)

Fun Fun Fun!

#14 ·
Last night's labors:

Gotta love air tools!

#15 ·
Tonights labors:

Engine out of the SPG

It was really fun getting the engine & hoist to roll over/around the ice chunk still on the driveway there. Good thing all 6 wheels on my hoist are swivel castors and we could rotate it around the edges of the ice.

The requisite pic of myself in the engine bay. (Oddly enough, this is the first pic of me in ANY engine bay, I failed to get one of me in my SPG)

#18 ·
Not yet. I'm just doing a quick transplant to get this back on the road. I'm then going to have one of my spare transmissions rebuilt and mated to the younger motor, do the timing chain and everything etc. And then swap that in, and clean/detail the engine bay at that time.

#19 ·
Damn you're a hard worker! Any chance you could spend a little time with a worklog of how you're doing everything? I'm changing my drive shafts very soon and having a quick guide would be excellent if its not to much trouble.

You know how jealous everyone is of that mint looking airflow convertible you lucky sob!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.